1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets interested in Iman Shumpert

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

This is what happens when you deal with a contender. Contending teams rarely make deals with each other because it rarely seems to make sense for both teams.

Contending teams usually think more short term/win now and non-contenders/rebuilding teams think longer term.

DonKnock likes this.
  2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Well, that's the end of that ****.

4. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

Shumperts salary sucks. I would only consider him if the Cavs wanted to dump him. Bev makes sense for them, but even with Harden at point and Louis Williams the Rockets are much better off with Beverley than Iman.

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Shumpert doesn't look like good value. Doesn't feel like a Morey move.

Shumpert's name being thrown out (by Stein and not Woj) more feels like a "smoke screen" to get another team to jump on the Rockets "main target"...whoever that is. e.g. Trade with us now or else we trade for Shumpert etc.

I might be wrong, but Shump doesn't seem like the play.

DonKnock likes this.
  6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

PBev is so over rated. However Iman doesn't doesn't do anything for me either.

7. craguin

craguin Member

8. mightybosstone

A Shumpert for Beverley swap makes no sense if you're Houston. Shumpert is essentially a poor man's version of Bev. But I can envision a scenario where the Rockets took on Shumpert's contract as a means to get another player, either from Cleveland or a third team. Obviously it's a pipe dream, but envision a scenario where Morey swapped Anderson and Beverley for Love and Shumpert. THAT deal I could get behind.

vtjsr2 likes this.
  9. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

If they included Felder I'd consider that move.

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I think a Big is Morey's first target and Shumpert probably as a 2nd choice provided he comes for KJ, Ennis, 2nd round pick/cash. I doubt if Bev or Ariza, or our other young ones, are part of this scenario. The Cavs will probably say no to this, and that is fine with me.

basketballholic likes this.
  11. mightybosstone

Now this makes sense. But if he takes on Shumpert, that essentially kills any and all cap flexibility the team would have left. Because that Shumpert contract is not good (another two years, $21 million left after this year), and nobody is going to want to take his contract this summer.

I like the idea of adding a 3 and D wing for cheap, but Shumpert's contract is kind of a killer. Why would Morey want that?

DonKnock likes this.
  12. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

If he maintains that 40% 3pt shooting in the playoffs, his defense, range, and championship pedigree would be sought out on the trade market. It's definitely a moveable deal

13. mightybosstone

I think it's the kind of deal where they'd have to give up a pick just to get rid of him, just like they did with Lin. I can't envision a team willing to take on 2 years, $21 million for a rotational 3 and D wing who averages 8/3/1/1.

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Not me. Look at this way, Bev always plays best with a chip on his shoulder. He won't give up his back up minutes to Lou easily. That is good for us, since Lou is a combo guard who can help EG, and Harden out on scoring, while Bev can continue to defend and hit 3's for us.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

that and he's not really a 40% 3 pt shooter. hes improved but that'll go back down to his usual average range by seasons end

16. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I could see why the Rockets would be interested in Shumpert. He's only 26 years old, he's having a career season beyond the arc (40.3%) and he defends. But the Cavs and Rockets do not seem like good trade partners... they both have the same goals.

BigMaloe, Tha_Dude, RudyTBag and 6 others like this.
  17. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

The Lin situation was unique - Parsons signed the offer sheet with Dallas right at the start of free agency, which gave us a very limited time-frame to clear cap space for Bosh. LA had us by the balls, which is why we paid a premium to get rid of Lin's contract.

The average player in the NBA is set to make ~$8 million/year. Shump is above average and has just two years on his deal. Wilson Chandler is on a very similar deal and most people on this forum are willing to give up value for him. I don't think the difference between Iman and Wilson is so great that you'd have to attach picks to get rid of a 2 yr, $21 million deal. But I do understand your concern, especially if Morey is gunning for Hayward

18. OTMax

OTMax Member

Shumpert is a SG though right? Doesn't make much sense after the trade for Lou.

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Morey was likely to steal Shumpert by offering to lessen their tax bill, which is a good move.

He is not really someone I would target, but if you are going to move Ariza in another deal, it could make some sense.

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ert-cleveland-cavaliers-want-patrick-beverley