1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets interested in hiring Nick Nurse

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Apr 21, 2023.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

I’m not that sold on Nurse anymore after reading how he dealt with young guys, relying on veterans too much etc. We don’t know what he was asked to do, my guess is not just development but actually winning given the roster, but there should be a balance. FVV and Siakam were both in top 5-10 in minutes played per game and given their talent, that is not a great sign. But maybe he just lost the locker room and young guys just couldn’t connect with him.

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Are you seeing that FVV, OG and Siakam are in fact the young guys he developed? They were drafted from mid first round to undrafted. They're now the top minutes getters. They have a championship and all worth FAR more than projected when they were drafted.

Sometimes the answer is simpler than we think. Some picks are busts. He didn't play Masai's busts. Masai is conflicted of course he's not going to say his picks didn't deserve minutes.

I wonder who you think should have played more from their picks? Siakam, FVV, OG, GTJ and Poeltl were their top 5 vets by average minutes. For a playoff rotation that leaves around 4 spots. The 7 youngest guys on their roster (minutes):

- Scottie Barnes (youngest player on roster, 35 minutes per game)
    - Precious Achiuwa
    - Christian Koloko
    - Malachi Flynn
    - Dalano Banton
    - Joe Wisekamp
    - Ron Harper Jr

I've arranged them in order of average minutes played. What would you have done differently? Given Flynn/Koloko 2 extra minutes or something? What are we even nitpicking about here? It's odd to judge a coach with a championship by how many minutes Flynn, Wisekamp, Banton and Harper got when his boss expects playoffs.

A GM who wants you to overachieve and develop young players doesn't know what he's doing and many people have said that about Masai. Wtf was this season? He couldn't make up his mind about whether he wants to contend or rebuild. Nurse largely had the right balance, he's not the reason they didn't make the playoffs and nothing was going to change in the future of the franchise by giving Flynn, Wisekamp, Banton and Harper more minutes.

The biggest indictment of all is: Masai put out a press release the other day saying everyone is available except Barnes. If it's the coach's fault why did he just announce a fire sale on the talent?

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

difference between salaries

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

difference between salaries
    Good point. I mean, Somehow all slots get filled. Even Sterling’s pre-Ballmer daze. Sac? I’ll look it up yet I think they always had a coach. Probably some other examples somewhere…

Nook likes this.
  5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

According to Wikipedia you'd be wrong ..... Ime Udoka - Wikipedia

I really don't see the big deal about Udoka that the rest of you do.

One year as a head coach of an absolutely stacked roster and he got 51 wins and a finals loss in 6 out of them.
    He got the expected results ... That team was far and away the best team in the East. If anything you might say they underperformed not beating the Warriors in that series.

Give me Atkinson or Nurse, in that order.

Mathloom and Easy like this.
  6. evo8lover

evo8lover Member

Anyone have a guess on when the rockets will decide on the coach?

7. MultipleSauces

Udoka goes to tor
    Nurse comes here

Bo6, Rudyc281 and RasaqBoi like this.
  8. Rochut

Rochut Member

Given our roster, Atkinson has a lot of positives running an offense with a passing big and guards who are good first moving without the ball and scoring off of the advantages that can be subsequently created.

Mathloom and HardenReturns like this.
  9. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

my guess as well unlessss… Grizzles get knocked out in the next few days. That job will open up and Udoka will want that.

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I'll take Atkinson over Nurse but not Ime.

Rochut and xiki like this.
  11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Problem with that is, are the players we have ready to win now?
    Some would argue that many of them are not, hence, a certain amount of development is still vital.

xiki likes this.
  12. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

We could only be so blessed ti get NN. Van Bleet and Anunoby just two of many good young players under NN. Think he also coached the ROY last year (Barnes). Let’s not overthink the obvious choice.
    Reminds me of Jimmy Johnson Cowboys situation. Great HOF coach but the owner has a huge ego.

RC Cola likes this.
  13. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Trust me….no worries on that issue. RGV coach background and ROY player last year, along w/Siakem, FVV, Anuoby, etc. He literally had excrement for a bench last year and chose winning over losing which is a positive for our culture.

14. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Trust me….no worries on that issue. RGV coach background and ROY player last year, along w/Siakem, FVV, Anuoby, etc. He literally had excrement for a bench last year and chose winning over losing which is a positive for our culture.
    No way….Nurse much better. Hearing Cassell blew it away today!

15. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Let’s use our head and critical thinking skills for a second. Why the hell do you think Toronto just fired Nurse if he is so damn great but instead want to hire Udoka to be their next head coach? It’s common sense who’s better. Udoka > Nurse

16. HookemHorns1250

So every head coach who replaces a fired one is automatically better? McHale was better than Adelman?

BamBam and Mathloom like this.
  17. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

As a franchise we’ve been to the NBA Finals a grand total of 4 times. Getting there is no small feat and winning is even harder. I still think he’s the best candidate in my opinion. But if it’s not Udoka or the guys you’ve named I’ll be really disappointed.

18. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

You dumb ass use your head, it’s obvious that Toronto wants and sees more value in Udoka going forward than Nurse. That’s why they fired him right away so they can hire Udoka. Who in their right mind would fire somebody just to to hire somebody less competent dumb ass. Just shut the F up and stop posting

19. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

This isn't directed to you, but I did want to say in regards to development, it takes more than just a head coach that seems good at it. Nurse credits his staff and all the various resources the Raptors use for the development of their players. I think Vogel could be alright at development if the Rockets give him a big staff (including 12-month programs for the players), better practice facilities, fancy tech to help with shooting motions, etc. Conversely, Nurse with a 3-5 person staff (none employed beyond the NBA season), the current shitty practice facility, and no other resources will unlikely be able to recreate the success he had in TOR with player development. Maybe he'd do better than most (I think he did great in the G league), but there's only so much one guy can do. Of course, the players matter too (as do vets).

Having said that, I doubt someone like Nurse will sign on if Tilman/Stone refuse to do all that extra stuff. Let's cross fingers that Tilman is drunk enough to say yes to whatever Nurse wants. Can we tell him it is Mardi Gras again?

I think Adelman also didn't want to come back, so not sure it was necessarily Rockets picking McHale over Adelman. But I think the overall point is still valid.

I do get the impression that there might have been some issues with Nurse and Ujiri. Maybe Nurse wouldn't have stayed without changes, and Ujiri decided to move on early. On the bright side, if Stone actually lets Nurse hire all of his own staff and allows him to handle minutes without meddling, that's actually a big improvement that might entice Nurse.

Also, I'd point out that some TOR reporters seem to think other names might have a leg up on Udoka for the job. Not sure I buy that, but then we're talking about guys like Jerry Stackhouse maybe being a better candidate than Udoka or Nurse...which yeah....that doesn't seem right. (Sorry Jerry)

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yes: there’s no way the top coaches will make a decision until they see what happens with playoff teams.

Unless we make it rain $$$ on them of course, but that's not Landry's culture.