1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets interested in hiring Nick Nurse

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Apr 21, 2023.

1. jogo

jogo Member

Done.

2. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

We could only be so blessed ti get NN. Van Bleet and Anunoby just two of many good young players under NN. Think he also coached the ROY last year (Barnes). Let’s not overthink the obvious choice.

evo8lover and RC Cola like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

Nurse played a huge part in the improvement of Siakam.... OG, VanFleet and he played Barnes a lot as well.

The issues between Nurse and their GM have become personal.... Nurse wanted an extension for the last couple years... the GM didn't let Nurse go earlier on purpose if you believe some of the speculation floating around.... it took Nurse releasing stuff to the media before anything happened...... its known that the Raps GM and Udoka are close.

At this point it is a soap opera.

#143 Nook, Apr 22, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2023
    BamBam, apollo33, evo8lover and 7 others like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

With everything else being equal - no one would want to work for Fertitta and Stone.

5. csc177

csc177 Member

It’s time to start winning now - hence why we’re being in vets with this cap space. We’ve lost and “developed” for 3 years

Imanimal likes this.
  6. csc177

csc177 Member

Tell a recently fired or an aspiring assistant coach that….money/opportunity talks!

there are a lot of terrible a-hole owners in the league - heck the same goes with CEOs of large corps - ppl will still grab the check.

7. csc177

csc177 Member

This GM fired two coach of the year winners - he’s got some ego/ power trip issues going on too.

BigShasta likes this.
  8. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

Seems like there was some ego stuff from both sides. The fans and local Toronto reporters will of course turn on Nurse now because he's gone and they're stuck with Masai for the foreseeable--just the natural course of things. But there may have been some bad faith actions from both ends and it's hard to say who was more to blame from the outside looking in.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  10. csc177

csc177 Member

Masai fired two coach of the year winners - Casey (same year he won it) and most recently Nurse. I see a pattern.

11. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Well Casey sucked with the pistons is that the following pattern with those masai fires?

bmelo likes this.
  12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Ujiri: U jelly?

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

[QUOTE="RC Cola, post: 14600595, member:

I do wonder if Nurse would *want* to coach a team like ours, but if he actually took the job, this isn't really a concern for me.[/QUOTE]

I wonder why he would be motivated to seek a job? He’s paid for next year and is there a good slot open? Raps probably best opening.

QS sat, waited, got a team with reasonable prospects moving forward.

RC Cola likes this.
  14. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

Didn't Masai himself get fired while winning executive of the year at Denver?

RocketsDraftTV likes this.
  15. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Yeah, that's a good point. I do think these guys can't be too picky, as NBA head coaching jobs are in short supply. Pretty sure MDA wants to be a head coach, and he's still looking for that job. Nurse would likely be a top choice on most teams that part ways with their coaches, so I guess it is up to Nurse what kind of job he wants.

I'm guessing potential jobs he could get in the next year or so include PHI, DEN, PHX, WAS, POR, DAL, LAL, and maybe a couple others I'm missing (assuming these teams flame out enough to require a coaching change). Some of those have higher likelihood of winning, though maybe also with very high pressure and/or minimal roster flexibility (and maybe disgruntled superstars).

I do think HOU having low expectations (i.e., low pressure), lots of cap space + lots of young talent (i.e., lots of flexibility), and perhaps a large-ish market make this job more interesting than other jobs. Part of me thinks Nurse likes taking less talented teams and helping them overachieve, so maybe he'd like the challenge of building this team up. I also think that while Nurse *could* wait for a year, I bet he'd really be itching to get back to coaching ASAP, even if the available jobs aren't ideal.

Ultimately, it will come down to Stone and Fertitta to sell the job to Nurse just as Nurse sells himself to Stone and Fertitta. I'm not super optimistic about that, but if they say and do all the right things, I could see Nurse accepting a job with the Rockets.

edit: FWIW, this applies to any of the coaches, though yeah Nurse can probably be pickier than most.

xiki and saleem like this.
  16. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

This is foolishness. Daryl Morey's rep around the league was WAY worse while here. If he still has a career, we're in good shape

Corrosion and cheke64 like this.
  17. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

If we hire Nurse does Toronto still have to pay him next year?

Y2JT likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

No it isn’t.

Daryl Morey is considered one of the best GM’s in the league and Alexander was considered a neutral owner.

Fertitta is viewed as a bad owner, Stone isn’t well thought of either.

That may change in the future but the owner and front office isn’t a selling point.

19. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

My friend, we've read here that Morey was regarded around the league as a GM who treated players like trade commodities.
    Morey was a master of business, but he was not an attractive GM to most players.
    I'm not defending Stone, much less Tilman, but let's tell the whole truth.

20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It's understandable and a dangerous situation for the Rockets unfortunately.

Aruba77 and Nook like this.