1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets interested in hiring Nick Nurse

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Apr 21, 2023.

1. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I think it is anyone's guess.

But for comparison, I reviewed how the Kings handled this last year when they hired Mike Brown (with former Rocket/Morey Acolyte Monte McNair). Based on what I see, they did 2 rounds of interviews (similar to Rockets), and the 2nd rd (i.e., when Kings narrowed list to 3) happened around April 30th. Interviews followed after that I believe, and Mike Brown was revealed as the new coach on May 8th.
    https://kingsherald.com/articles/re...jackson-are-finalists-for-kings-coaching-job/
    https://kingsherald.com/articles/sacramento-kings-hire-mike-brown/

If the Rockets want to follow that plan, then I'd guess the next week or so could be when they wrap up and finalize their decision.

Kings weren't necessarily going for the same types of candidates though, so not apples-to-apples (plus McNair > Stone), but I'm not sure Rockets will want to wait too long regardless.

edit: Also the more I think about it, if they want to get guys into the new head coach's development program, that's another reason to get things done ASAP. I'm actually curious if they already cleaned house with all their staff, or mostly just Silas and a couple of guys. But yeah, giving players 2-3 weeks as a break is different than 8-12 weeks (if they were to wait until the lottery or shortly after).

#181 RC Cola, Apr 23, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2023
  2. HookemHorns1250

You alright man?

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I have no doubt the Rockets will want to lock someone up quickly but Ime and Nurse are much higher profile than Brown was last season and they can afford to be more selective. Atkinson has shown he's selective by turning down a HC position last season.

I hope they don't go for a lesser option just to get someone sooner. We're luckily in one of the best periods i can remember for available HC candidates. Would be amazing to have them work with the kids sooner but I think it's worth the wait.

Erbnwarfare, joshuaao, saleem and 2 others like this.
  4. RC Cola

On one hand, yeah I'd rather them wait if that means Nurse/Udoka/etc. But part of me also thinks that if these guys actually do interview soon (Udoka already has for the first round), and the Rockets give them the offer, they should be excited enough to accept the offer fairly soon. If they want to wait 3-4 weeks to see what else is available, I'd almost say maybe they *shouldn't* wait on these guys because clearly they're not super excited about the opportunity.

It is more complicated than that, but yeah I think if Stone/Tilman can't get one of these guys excited enough to say yes without waiting for the playoffs to be over, then they failed their job and that coach doesn't really want the job regardless (and thus not a good fit).

Mathloom likes this.
  5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

[QUOTE="Imanimal, post: 14601591, member: 64385 Hearing Cassell blew it away today![/QUOTE]

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

[/QUOTE]

Dadgum, I hope you heard right. I hope Sammy is the Chosen One!

7. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

upload_2023-4-23_12-38-28.gif

TimDuncanDonaut and RC Cola like this.
  8. ExTexanNowEastCoast

Let's go with your statement for a moment. You think we should hire Atkinson over Nurse and Udoka, a man who has never won more than 44 games in a season, over two guys who have taken teams to the NBA Finals?

Udoka underachieved because the Celtics had a stacked roster? That same team won 36 games and was .500 the year before, and players were damn near close to demanding to be traded if Stevens came back as coach. That team looked completely lost against the Nets. Udoka takes that same team to the Finals, where they lose to a veteran team of at least two HOFs, and where the Celtics best player forgot how to make layups (Tatum!!!), and they underachieved?

Nurse won a title, and then won 53 games the next season in a 72 game season.

Why in the hell would anyone with an IQ above 75 ever pick Atkinson over either Nurse or Udoka? Shoot, I would take JVG and Mark Jackson before Atkinson.

Dumbest post I have read on this board in sometime, and that is saying something.

9. ExTexanNowEastCoast

Let's go with your statement for a moment. You think we should hire Atkinson over Nurse and Udoka, a man who has never won more than 44 games in a season, over two guys who have taken teams to the NBA Finals?

Udoka underachieved because the Celtics had a stacked roster? That same team won 36 games and was .500 the year before, and players were damn near close to demanding to be traded if Stevens came back as coach. That team looked completely lost against the Nets. Udoka takes that same team to the Finals, where they lose to a veteran team of at least two HOFs, and where the Celtics best player forgot how to make layups (Tatum!!!), and they underachieved?

Nurse won a title, and then won 53 games the next season in a 72 game season.

Why in the hell would anyone with an IQ above 75 ever pick Atkinson over either Nurse or Udoka? Shoot, I would take JVG and Mark Jackson before Atkinson.

Dumbest post I have read on this board in sometime, and that is saying something.

10. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

A coach like Nurse has proven to be a great coach with or without facilities. Remember he won a title internationally and with RGV.

saleem and RC Cola like this.
  11. RC Cola

I have Nurse #1 (anyone surprised), but I'd probably put Atkinson #2 over Udoka. Udoka is *probably* a better overall coach, but I think Atkinson might be better at player development, which I think is more important than wins/losses at this point. I think Atkinson could be alright at wins too (I don't think those BKN teams were that good), but I agree he probably doesn't compete with these others guys (especially for playoffs). You could maybe go with Atkinson for 3-4 years, maybe he does well, but if he doesn't, you move from a development coach to a guy that can win in the playoffs.

From what I can tell, Atkinson isn't in the running anyway, so Udoka is my #2.

Udoka is probably great, but I'm just worried about the limited data set with him.

12. RC Cola

For sure, but just talking player development and whatnot. I just want guys to realize there is more to player development than who the head coach is.

Imanimal likes this.
  13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

If the Rockets choose anyone other than Udoka they chose poorly. Ime has shown what he can do with a young talented team. He is a championship coach in the making.

Gimmmethemike and AroundTheWorld like this.
  14. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

I'm a bit out of the loop. What exactly has Udoka done to deserve such high praise? Silas would have done well with that Celtics roster. This feels a bit like Doc being seen as a great coach because he had the first big 3 in the NBA.

15. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

How ironic your revisionist history

Their was a point where FA's were hesitant to come here due to Morey's openly treating guys like assets. JJ Reddick said this in a podcast. Also EVERY coach that came here left on horrific terms under Morey. JVG, Adelman, McHale, MDA etc..Let's not mention the favorable azz kissing Harden got vs other players. This organization was a mess

16. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I probably want nurse the most . Udoka may have the best upside , but bostons young guys were brought up completely different from ours . They were on playoff teams as rookies and were taught to play both ends of the floor . With defense being the primary concern .

jalen green and kpj are being brought up like they are prime James harden . Just kidding , but they really do have a level freedom that hasn’t been earned .

they need structure to reel them back in .

I like nurse , I like Atkinson , I kinda like Udoka , I kinda like borrego , I’m meh on vogel … are the van Gundy brothers available ? I want the next coach to say who plays and who doesn’t

Mathloom likes this.
  17. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

18. RC Cola

I think I agree about what Udoka can bring, but when you can hire someone like Nurse who literally is a championship coach (and one at multiple levels), I'd lean that direction. Nurse's career (thus far) is what I'd hope Udoka could achieve at some point (including multiple examples of great player development). Vogel also won a championship, though I do agree that Udoka should have the edge over him (mostly because we don't have LeBron/AD, and I think Udoka has a higher ceiling).

Maybe Nurse doesn't want the job, he's too expensive, or doesn't really work for other random reasons, but I don't think he'd be a poor choice. I do think Udoka could be that "former NBA player" that might appeal to some players, which guys like Nurse or Vogel could not provide. That wouldn't be enough for me if I was making the decision, but I can see that argument.

19. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

That’s if he decides to coach for us over Toronto

20. Nook

Nook Member

The initial post I made was in the context of a coaching hire. Coaches knew that Daryl Morey was good at his job - hence why they would rather work with him than Stone.

Second, Reddick can say whatever he wants now, but he wanted to sign with the Rockets and was minutes from doing so when the Rockets lowered their offer.

Third, Daryl Morey got Dwight Howard, Chris Paul, PJ Tucker, Westbrook and others to want to come to Houston.

Fourth for a “mess” they were an injury to Paul and one game away from winning a title.

So if you think that most players look at Fertitta and Stone as positives - you are entitled to that opinion but you are wrong. As of right now the reputation of both isn’t the best around the league. That CAN change, but that’s down the road.