1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets interested in Corey Brewer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

This.

Can you imagine if T-Mac never had health problems? Hell, what if Yao never got hurt? They're both younger than Dirk. Having those 2 for a decade without injury? I think there's a good chance we'd have a championship or 2.

2. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Responded, though I don't know why. You seem to be hellbent on believing we are a bad team and Morey is a ****ty GM. I don't even know how to express how stupid that is.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Corey Brewer was at shootaround this morning, btw, so he's still here</p>&mdash; Jerry Zgoda (@JerryZgoda) <a href="https://twitter.com/JerryZgoda/status/545985573962661888">December 19, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Oh ok, thanks Jerry Zgoda. I was worried that Brewer was traded in the dead of night

5. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

The results currently show that the GSW and Memphis Grizzlies are better than the Rockets. Then you have to watch out for LAC and OKC eclipsing Houston. Then there's always SA as well. You can't always be fortunate and get hca in the 1st round of the playoffs against a team like the Blazers.

Sorry to annoy you, but I know a little about how this industry works. The daily spreads you see are, for the most part, about public perception and trying to get an even 50-50 split on the money to collect the juice or vig no matter the outcome of the contest. Although books sometimes do make decisions and will hold firm on spreads no matter what the general public is doing.

In relation to futures odds, they're actually pretty accurate in terms of gauging a team's chances to win a title. Books know they will come out ahead on futures no matter what so they price them fairly. Sure, incremental changes are made here and there, but there is no overreacting or over-adjusting the same way ESPN, for example, adjusts their power rankings all over the place on a weekly basis. A recent example is Alabama in NCAAF. After struggling to start off the season and losing to Ole Miss and barely beating AR they fell to #7 in the nation, but Vegas oddsmakers always had them rated as the best team in the nation and that was reflected in futures.

10 years? You have a seriously high tolerance for a lack of results. In a weird way that is commendable.

You didn't have to respond. See my response above to justxyank. Of course nobody can tell the future, but don't be so quick discount people who make their living off this sort of stuff. Also, I never said what you attributed to me. The Rockets are a playoff team, but no I don't believe they're serious title contenders. Maybe you do. I also think Maury is overrated. It's obvious you don't.

6. Ghost_of_Akeem

Vegas odds also had the Cavs as favorites to win the title before the season started, just like they did the Heat the year prior. Means nothing, really.

In the words of the great Aaron Rodgers -- RELAX!

They haven't even played a game yet, let's see how well they do against the league elite who they have yet to win a game against this season before we pass judgment. Mavs are like 0-6 against top flight teams so far so they have a lot to improve on.

Meanwhile, our team hasn't been healthy all year and yet we have one of the league's best records and our idiot fans are clamoring for roster moves. The way some of you sound you would think we are last in the division right now.

7. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Actually it does mean something...The Heat made the Finals 4 years in a row when they were favored to win the title and won it twice. Again, that's pretty accurate, especially considering nobody out there can predict exactly what will happen in the future. The only reason the Cavs are favorites to win the title this year is because they're in the East and their ostensible path to the Finals is much easier. Basically all they have to do is win 1 or 2 playoff series to win the championship. It's understandable that they're the favorite because of that.

8. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

If GS doesn't get Lee and/or Bogut back by the playoffs healthy, or if they w/o Bogut in the playoffs then I doubt they take it all.

9. Ghost_of_Akeem

Odds will change, though. Mavs made the first move because they were more desperate and underachieving - and most of all the move made more sense for them as Rondo is a good fit with that squad, better than he would be here.

If a player comes up on the block that Morey feels would fit our squad well and fills a need then he will make the move, its that simple.

What the team really needs is frontcourt depth, but there aren't many good 4's or 5's available at the moment. So, we have to entertain lesser options such as Brewer who clearly isn't very high on the target list because if he was he would be here already.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I didn't say I would give him 10 years personally.

Mark Cuban has owned the Mavericks since 2000. He's had 15 years of of a hall of famer playing at an elite level.

In the 14 completed seasons, the Mavericks have:
    made the playoffs 13 times
    been knocked out in round 1 6 times
    been knocked out in round 2 4 times
    made it past round 2 3 times
    made it to the finals twice
    won a title once

Morey became the official GM beginning with the 2007 season. From that season to today, is 7 completed seasons.
    The Rockets have made the playoffs 4 times
    been knocked out in round 1 3 times
    been knocked out in round 2 1 time

The qualifier for the Rockets is that in those 4 playoff series, they've only had ONE series loss where they had two stars, both healthy and that was last year. The rest of those years were written away with injuries.

I don't think Cuban's results at the helm of the Mavericks show much more success really.

11. Ghost_of_Akeem

Let's not forget too that Mav's fans have been railing on Cuban for years because of his inability to attract big name FA's and for never pulling off a blockbuster trade. He also broke up that championship team they had all in the name of flexibility in hopes of landing D-Will and Dwight, but struck out on both.

It seems Cuban is trying to make up for lost times right now. If signing Parsons to that horrendous contract and trading for Rondo somehow gets him off the hot seat, then I'd say he got off pretty easy.

12. MystikArkitect

The Mavericks, for whatever reason, have been getting so much hype from national media that it's a little bit confusing. Have they beaten a Western Conference contender yet? Rondo is such an interesting player because of fit, and I'm not sure how he fits with the Mavericks. I don't envy they're coach as he will be the one seeing the guillotine if he can't make this work, but it's not as smooth of a transition as some make it believe.

Rondo has been on the block for a while. A long while. The Rockets weren't even interested and it seems the media had a higher opinion of him (hi Parsons) than teams around the league did. There's a reason he didn't get moved before. He's just an odd fit. He's not CP3 who can fluorish pretty much anywhere.

Funny that one owner in Dallas finally stops with the splashy hires, draft picks and free agent signings and starts to build his team the right way, and now the other owner in town gets obsessed with splashy hires and free agent signings. Fit be damned.

13. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

@WojYahooNBA: Boston will release center Vitor Faverani, league source tells Yahoo Sports. Boston needed to open a roster spot for trade.

14. craguin

craguin Member

Maybe the TrailBlazers will pick him up. Robin Lopez out 6-7 weeks.

15. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Brewer hosting a holiday party for kids tomorrow. I anticipate him being there. In other words, doubt a trade comes today. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/twolves?src=hash">#twolves</a></p>&mdash; Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/status/546003160402124800">December 19, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

16. gdinamite

gdinamite Member

Faverani is recovering of a knee injury, he'll be back only in February.

17. HRox832

HRox832 Member

Wow. The wait is killing me

18. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Sorry this makes too much sense and is also obvious.

19. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

If we get brewer, will that mean a trade of papa (possibly for dragic)?

Two offseasons from now, kostas, tjones, dmo, and canaan will all be in rfa. Morey will most likely deal one of more of those guys by then?

20. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

They traded Jameer Nelson when he was buying presents for kids. I doubt the timing matters to the people doing it.