1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets in talk with league about DMO

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by No Chance, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Dmo just retweeted this

2. HardenTime

HardenTime Member

never seen anything like this

3. bongman

bongman Member

So all NBA players that are taller than 7 ft 3" are good in posting up?
    So all short, powerful, leaping power forwards in the league are good in posting up?
    How about NBA players that have the same mass and strength as Shaq? They all good post players?

If the answer to those are NO, then physical characteristics has nothing to do with it then.

Scola is not that tall, how come he is very effective with that up and under? Mchales and Scola's scoop is about faking your opponent to think you are going a certain direction. Nothing to do with length, strength or jumping ability.

If you don't think Hakeem's agility does not come from his feet when everybody else in the NBA raves about it then I don't think this conversation is going anywhere.

The fact that all these players that you mentioned have different physical characteristics and yet they were just as effective in the low post means there is NO single physical characteristic which can make a player effective in the low post. Low post effectiveness is done in the ground with your feet and your skills - not with length.

To answer your question about watching them play, Yes I have seen them a lot.

4. AkeemTheDreem86

You cited speed as one your pillars of elite POST play. I took that to mean quickness of post moves since raw speed has nothing to do with being elite in the post.

Maybe you could clarify what you meant by speed as it pertains to elite post play?

5. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

This is a DMo thread... I can dig up a Scola appreciation thread if ya'll really really want...

heypartner likes this.
  6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Did anyone listen?

7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

if dmo retweeted this, i'd say there's zero chance he'll ever be a rocket

Mazulis, Stormy1234 and majicdonjuan like this.
  8. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, if i got it right it's basically nothing new, but Joel and the other guy (especially, and btw he doesn't sound like someone informed on the situation, like, at all...i'd say he just throws out there random stuff like he has an agenda but maybe it's just me...) are pretty much throwing fire to Morey/Les, saying they just tried to make their interest, screwing D.Mo and that no one will ever want to play here after this.

If i got it wrong feel free to correct me so i can understand better.

#148 Vivi, Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    heypartner likes this.
  9. zigzag

zigzag Member

this show is full of crap
    can't believe i would waste 11 minutes listening to this

Batman Jones, heypartner and s.b713 like this.
  10. anchel

anchel Member

Who's the other man talking trash and why is he speaking on a radio?
    Joel said DMo is hurt but that there are still conversations. Again, no idea what the Rocktes are doing right now but better they have some great explanations.

heypartner likes this.
  11. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Blank is still salty the let his lame ass go. Trying to stay relevant by regurgitation

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Morey has twice tried to be the "nice guy" as a GM and do the "right thing" by players.

1) Let Chandler Parsons out of his contract to be an RFA. Chandler burned him hard
    2) Re-signing the WCF team instead of trying to upgrade. Got burned hard.

I like Morey going back to being a cold machine. The kinder, friendlier Morey got nothing to show for it.

DMo was a restricted free agent. Morey played the game the way he was supposed; look out for the HOUSTON ROCKETS best interests, not trying to help DMo get paid.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Joel Blank:

We keep in contact all the time.

D-Mo took that physical, assumed there was no problems(passed it with the Nets), showed up Saturday & was going to work out. He was informed he can't because he didn't pass the physical. He went home & started texting with me. We talked about the fact that...he wanted word out that it wasn't a medical issue. He said the team has the ability to do things. He was not happy. He was hurt.

This was a guy who was told he wouldn't be traded at the deadline last year, then traded & broke his heart, only to have the Pistons fail him, Rockets had to take him back, that was enough for him to say I'll finish the season but I'm looking for a fresh start. But because he was a RFA & Rockets controlled his rights, he had to get the right situation. ... Essentially, he was ready to show up & play, get to work & help his team and it didn't work out.

We went to the Rockets as a station to see if they had a response to D-Mo's tweets. He liked, RT & verified; he agreed with 100% everything I put out there. He wanted word out there because there were so many questions.

Rockets released a statement to ESPN national. "We are still looking into the physical." They're still at a stalemate. I talked to him today.

Both sides had issues with the way it was written if he was to come back to the Rockets. It was perfect if he stayed with the Nets. He would have gotten $6M in incentives easily attained in Brooklyn he was worried with the Rockets.

Travis Johnson: You did not match my deal. The Rockets opened their self up for a lawsuit. Anyone else, it's already filed. They're trying to keep it quiet & squash this situation. D-Mo will get his cash. You screwed this man's life over your ego/pride. You didn't match this offer the way it's supposed to be matched.

Both sides had issues with the offer sheet. D-Mo with the money he was losing, Rockets wanting flexibility. Rockets are cap flexible/friendly & didn't like that. They also didn't like that once the deal was done, it was a 2-year guarantee and no trade(can't trade him for a year). Rockets wanted an out before this year's trade deadline.

Travis Johnson: They're a bunch of freaking idiots. This is the worst thing I've ever seen in my life. This is the worst business, this is bad business, bad etiquette, bad for everything in the game. You can't do this to people.

Joel Blank: Look at their track record previously. They look at players as assets. He would sit there & point out to Dwight & others that they won't be back. The word will get out. Players & agents will talk. It's a dangerous precedent set.

Travis Johnson: They're not coming here anymore. Unless the Rockets start offering $10M+ more than other teams, no one will come here anymore. Why would you come here? ... As much as I love the city, weather, tax-free environment, they won't consider it because if I have to look over my shoulder every day at this crook that owns the team and the crook that is the GM who manipulates people at all times, I don't want to play for that. If you say you're gonna match an offer, I've passed my physical with Brooklyn & you know I'm gonna pass it here, but because I want the exact deal promised to me somewhere else, if you're not gonna give it to me, let me go somewhere else. Rockets did this just to screw with him. We're gonna fail his physical & hurt his pockets.

Joel Blank: D-Mo doesn't want to be here.

Joel Blank: It's playground stuff. Childish on both sides. At the end of the day, both sides had issues with the language. There's a lot to be worked out. Sides are still talking. D-Mo is hurt & wants this to be done. He's worried now that word got out...you can be labeled damaged goods. If you're labeled damaged goods, any team taking a shot is a one year deal, an extensive physical & have to prove yourself all over again.

#153 J.R., Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  14. s.b713

s.b713 Member

Indeed, the other dude was just talking out of his arse insulting the Rox FO. I don't see how that's the rockets fault that the Rocket matched the principal offer which in is all they needed to do, that's ineptitude on BJ Armstrong more than anything.

cdrive and anchel like this.
  15. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

This is going to be my last reply to you on this subject, because you either never actually watched them play or don't have the knowledge to understand what you were watching. I am going to make my answers exceedingly simple for you:

1. Scola's post game is effective because bigs are extremely unskilled compared to before when players like Dream, Admiral, Kemp, ect graced the hardwood. Like you said, the standards have fallen immensely. The scoop isn't about faking out your opponent. It's about shooting the ball with an unnatural form with unnatural release points at unnatural angles. The fake or feint before a lot of their scoops is what fakes out people. McHale's scoop shot comes from a variety of distances, angles, and heights around the rim and defenders have great difficulty adapting to that. You know what makes him capable of that? Length. You honestly think Scola could have done the same playing in the much rougher league back then?

2. You need to learn what agility actually means. Agility is the combination of movement and body control. Hakeem had great footwork, but what set him apart was his agility which came from his ability to maintain amazing body control while in movement. Harden is the same way here. There are lots of players with excellent footwork that are not agile, just as they are shitty post players. People rave about his footwork because he had the best footwork, yet there are lots of people that played soccer before so why aren't they stars in the NBA? People who actually WATCHED and UNDERSTOOD Hakeem knew it went way beyond his footwork.

3. Your low post effectiveness comment is just sheer ignorance. Low post effectiveness is not about the ground. It is not about your feet or skills. It is about creating and utilizing space very well in an area where that is a scarcity. What do you think fakes, feints, scoops, turnarounds, ect all serve to accomplish? They are designed to create a brief window where you separate yourself from your defender's sphere of defense to get your shot off. That's why all these elites have different physicality, because it is those physicality that ALLOWS for these players to become elite, to set themselves far and away from those that are not elite. Shaq's size, power, and relative speed allowed him to bump you off and create that brief window of space to dunk on you. Hakeem took you for a joyride with a variety of methods to create space, including a ballerina spin to the baseline headed out of bounds. Chuck's explosiveness and speed allowed him to immediately fall away and above you with his turnaround.

4. To keep things really simple, try to answer yourself these questions in your brain:

- Do you think the Dream Shake or Hakeem would have been elite if he had the slow, grounded, short physique of Scola?
    - Do you think Shaq would have been effective if he was the size of Scola?
    - Do you think Barkley would have been elite in the post if he was as grounded and slim as Scola?
    - Do you think Jabbar's Skyhook would have been as devastating if he shot it with Scola's height and length?

The simple and cruel truth is that polished technique and craftiness will only take you so far. The world is littered with players that have uber polished their techniques, but the elites are the ones that have physical traits that set you apart. This applies to the post, midrange, perimiter, ect. Physical traits absolutely matter and matter a LOT in the post. To try to declare otherwise is pure ignorance/stupidity.

16. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I agree, Morey and the rockets have done absolutely nothing wrong .

However , we do not know the full story behind dmo's second physical and being told to leave . Everything up until that point is beyond a doubt by the book .

Batman Jones, DonKnock and anchel like this.
  17. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

I think this situation impacted the new CBA negotiations

18. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

Who is that f*cking idiot on there with Joel? Like he sounds like he is BBalcoholic or something the way he is butt hurt and knows zero about how RFA works.

adw, Batman Jones, heypartner and 2 others like this.
  19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Joel Blank is still salty about getting fired.

adw and DonKnock like this.
  20. Madano

Madano Contributing Member

Has this guy ever been to Houston?

justtxyank likes this.