1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets hoping to keep Donatas Motiejunas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 23, 2016.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

DD knows what's what? Do you?

;)

DD

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I'm a big DMo believer and that's been consistent. Not been on any TJo wagon, but - - does his skillset (and I'm not referring to his amazing run of the most amazing injuries skillset) gel with MDA's system? Might he be a guy who could be a steal retention, as well?

If I can have one, make it DMo. If I can't have DMo then no-go unless there really is a D'Antoni's system joneses for Terrence. Is there?

3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I wonder which team would be dumb enough to offer a player with a questionable back big money. Back injuries are waaaay trickier to deal with than say knee or ankle injuries.

4. haiti1804

haiti1804 Member

If Dantoni has DMO standing in the corner shooting 3’s all game he will misuse DMO’s talent just like McHale did (before DMO broke out). He needs to get DMO involved in pick and rolls and yes the dreaded words (to Dantoni) post up DMO if he wants to get the most out of him.

5. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

couldn't disagree more...

making a video and doing things to make guys feel wanted and appreciated and not just assets is probably the smartest thing a team can do... and not just for the superstar type players...

Such endeavors cost virtually nothing - no cap space, no future draft picks, etc... but can be the difference when retaining talent.

Personally, I really like DMo. I appreciated the fire he was showing toward the end of the season - when some had already checked out... and that was AFTER we had traded him! DMo is a good guy... works hard, good intensity, a true team player (even if Harden acts a dick and pushes him off and walks away when he tried to congratulate him...). Obviously health is the concern... so I hope we don't overpay or get some flexibility with team options - just in case his back is a reoccurring issue...

1 person likes this.
  6. finsraider

finsraider Member

My assumption on him taking the QO is that he believes his back is in better condition than the market does, so he takes it thinking he can max out next year at the projected $110 million cap rate.

Look at it this way. The Rockets or some other team may offer something like 4 years $55 million. He can take that, or accept a QO of $5 million and go for a 4 year $110 million contract next year.

There is risk, yes, but there's also huge upside, and DMo seems like a guy that would bet on himself.

7. Vivi

Vivi Member

I agree. I really like D.Mo overall, i hope we can keep him (if cheap) and that he can stay healty.

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

You're wrong. Sorry, but wrong. I've had several back ops. Many knees. A few ankles. Back does me better than the feet; but, all have their own brand of tricks.

If the docs ok him then pay him.

9. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

As long as Jones is out and the final contract isn't anywhere close to max, I'm okay with this. I'm not sure D-Mo is a starter for a contender, if he stays healthy he's at least a good sixth man.

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Oh, you mean like the rockets with Dwight?

Christ, some people have the most selective memories in the world.

11. malakas

malakas Member

What are you talking about? Complaining and b****ing? What?

The Rockets are doing something uneccesary, inexplicable, unprecendented and weird by trying to promo video and woe their own RFA.
    Why shouldn't fans raise an eyebrow and try to find out what's really going on here? Because something is not right!

Don't be that naive to believe that because we will show DMO a promo video and buy him some dinners he will decide to lower his price when he was only on rookie contracts.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    There's smth behind the scenes going on and instead of being yourself toxi to a legitimate discussion how about you try to find out what's the reason for this abnormal behaviour by the FO?

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

.....again isn't it likely that they are trying to talk him into waiting before signing an offer sheet? It's not about taking less money, it's about giving the Rockets more time to make FA moves before starting the clock on matching an offer sheet. I really think that's the answer to your mystery.

13. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Trying to keep D-Mo is a smart play and represents one of our most realistic ways of transitioning away from a Dwight Howard frontcourt and still being respectable up front.

And let's be honest, if you had to describe your PERFECT complimentary PF it would look something like a better version of D-Mo. A guy that can stretch the floor, post up, play solid defense, rebound, slide over to the five and not negatively impact the locker room in any way. These are things D-Mo either currently does very well or has shown the potential to do them well.

I still see plenty of upside. He was probably our most underrated player two years ago and was due for a breakout year this past season, but between injuries and coaching it clearly wasn't meant to be. I think he deserves a mulligan if he can be kept at a reasonable price.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

D'Antoni on record said that he didn't believe in post up offense. Post up offense is DMo's best skill.

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

First they dump him then they adore him.

16. basketballholic

This romancing is about keeping DMO on a small cap hold while we conduct business signing free agents and/or making trades before we sign DMo. If he signs an offer sheet real quick for a high dollar amount we either lose him for nothing or we are forced to match and lose some time to use the cap space before we have to match an offer or sign him to a deal.

17. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Good to hear. Didn't like the trade anyway. I think he'll fit in MDA's system very well!

18. alethios

alethios Member

Someone has hacked your account, dude.

DD

19. kevtse

kevtse Member

I am thinking the same thing. I dont recall Dantonio's system do any post up. There is no point to keep Dmo you are not gonna let him work on the post.

20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Hope he gets his wallet stuffed. ****ty FO deserves ****tiness back