1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Homerism

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, May 9, 2012.

?

Have you been accused of being a Rockets homer?

1. Yes, but i'm not.

10 vote(s)
    12.8%
  2. No, and I'm not.

24 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. Yes, and the Rockets get cheated by the refs and the NBA.

24 vote(s)
    30.8%
  4. No, but Yao and Tracy would have won 5 championships if this and that happened

20 vote(s)
    25.6%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    I've been accused of being a Rockets homer because I witnessed the Rockets of the mid 80s to early 90s with Hakeem/Akeem Olajuwon defeat the Chicago Bulls with Michael Jordan.

I'm sorry, I saw those games, and it has been documented and witnessed by humans beings live and on television.

I think I'm a Rockets realist. I think when the Rockets lost series, they lost to the better team. The better always win in the playoffs.

I never had any unrealistic expectations like Steve Francis being a true point guard or Hasheem Thabeet being an NBA player.

Did I think the Rockets overachieved this year? yes. Do I think they would have beaten the Spurs? No.

but call me Homer, you Bart and Lisa Simpsons.

1 person likes this.
  2. Ashes

Ashes Member

Keep it real, tinman.

3. tinman

Supporting Member

By the amount of times I post about the 90s here, you'd think some posters get that I actually lived in that era.

4. tinman

Supporting Member

I'm all about real.

When people see the Tupac Hologram, they know it's not real.
    But when they listen to the music, the music they know is real.

when people talk about Rockets vs Bulls in the NBA Finals, that's not real, but when they talk about when these two teams with legendary superstars played each other at the Summit or in Chicago, that was real.

When Clutch writes. it's real.

5. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

We've had disagreements. But I don't think you're a homer, tinman. I think you know your stuff when it comes to Rockets history. I respect your passion and appreciation for the team's past. I do think that you have a tendency to let passion and emotion color your perceptions, over reason and objective measures.

What I wish you would stop doing is making distinctions between what you believe makes a "true Rockets fan", and disparaging those who approach fandom differently than you do. But you have a right to your views.

6. tinman

Supporting Member

this is real.
    [​IMG]

so was this:
    [​IMG]

this was not real, it was a cartoon
    [​IMG]

7. tinman

Supporting Member

you are right. but my thought base on certain fans are based on the real.

so if you are a Rockets fans who has claimed to watch the Rockets in the 90s , why would you succumb to the Bulls if you had seen with your own eyes Hakeem destroy Cartwright, Horace Grant, and Stacy King like they were pigs in slaughter?

makes you wonder if they are real right?

Ok, how about this? You are Rockets fan and you see Tracy Mcgrady's last several seasons with Rockets and not know how it would end. How's that possible?

During the Yao early years, you see Yao get out rebounded by some midgets, and how can you say he wasn't a good rebounder?

During the Steve Francis years, you see Steve dribble out the 24 second clock cause he's not even looking at it. How can you not see it?

How about when you actually see Hasheem Thabeet and Johnny Flynn play? And how can you even think they'd be good?

it's about realism.

8. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Well, the Bulls almost certainly would have beaten the crap supporting cast teams of the early '90s. We'd have taken them in 93 if it weren't for the damn Sonics, almost certainly in 94 and without question in 95. Against the 72-win team in '96 though? No. And if we weren't screwed by the refs against the Jazz, I think '97 would have been a toss-up. They didn't have a PG to exploit Maloney, but Scottie and Rodman would have given Clyde and Chuck problems.

Not gonna get into it. We can both agree it's not worth it, I think.

I like Francis and Cat, but I hated watching those teams, and it's telling that we both agree the Steve and Cat for McGrady deal was a good one.

Believe me, no one disparaged the DD/coachbadlee Free Thabeet crowd more than me in the offseason. I wish I had made a tipjar bet.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

We did beat them more in the mid 80s through the early 90s. The late 90s we had players past their primes.

I have more confidence in the earlier years when Dream was playing like the MVP or was the MVP. We beat Jordan's teams without Sam Cassell off the bench.

Their point guards sucked, they weren't true point guards cause Jordan always handled the ball.

given all this information....

This has nothing to do with why Jordan sold so many shoes and why Dream/Etonic didn't sell well.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

I agree with this statement.

Doesn't change my oberservation that some of McGrady fans don't know anything about the Rockets and refuse to believe in reality.

11. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

I remember people starting threads how the Rockets would be the fourth seed this year. :rolleyes: Or even how we might sneak past the Thunder. :rolleyes:

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Yes, until people realized Mchale is a dumbass. I do believe we should be in the playoffs.

13. Big Time Titan

I've never been accused of being a Rockets homer because most people (who aren't Rockets fans) don't even know we have fans.

I know I sound like Uncle Rico but we definitely would have won at least 5 rings had TMac and Yao been on the same page and healthy.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

So you remember the two big loses at the peak of that era right?

game 7 blowout in Dallas
    game 7 debacle in Houston vs the Jazz

Some people were devastated:

1. by reality, that the Rockets couldn't even win a first round series or win a game 7 with our stars being fully healthy. The reality being they aren't good enough.

2. by their own expectations, that they would win the championship, but couldn't pass the first round. In their minds, they would win a championship and somehow illogically assumed that if they'd win the first round, then the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds would fall like dominoes.

I'm 1.

#14 tinman, May 9, 2012
    Last edited: May 9, 2012
  15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Other than your hate for Tracy McGrady, I find your comments to be pretty level headed.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

I never said I hate Tracy McGrady, I just think his fans are delusional like the Ewoks thinking 3PO was their God.

17. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

I want my Rockets! Gimmeee.....

18. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

yeah, and guess what? That "could have" happened. Typically nay sayers like to sit back and play biggie bigs who know it all, and then later admit, wow they sure exceeded my expectations. ( i.e., bandwagonners.)

Ifs..and buts..

THE DEAL goes through

then THE PTHER DEAL goes through

or

Lowry does not go down....Martin does not go down.....Camby does not rip his wrist.....

so no not 4th but 5th-6th?....definately.... we all see how well that played out for the Spazz

#18 jscmedia, May 9, 2012
    Last edited: May 9, 2012
  19. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

See my sig. I started watching when Malone went to the Finals against Boston. I may be the oldest Rockets fan here! :eek:

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I'll take choice D. :p