1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets highlights from the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GBRocket, Mar 3, 2012.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Awesome, gent.

Just a side thought re: Cuban. Might LO be his issue du jour?

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Is that only a non-Cuban issue? I mean, what other owner gets into that (uh) arena?

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Amel hit on this on the last page. Who says Daryl doesn't have some influence on the lineup/rotations.

"No, no, no. It's not up to me. Coach _____ will play whoever he thinks is best."

Riiiiggght :rolleyes:;)

That would get old reeeaal quick!

Definitely road that horse to 'death'.

Did you's also find out that even when Yao had broken foot after broken foot, he was better than any other option you had and that's why you never cut ties sooner? Or was it the money? Or was it because there were no post-Yao plans? Or all of the above?

#23 J.R., Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  4. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

What Van Gundy apparently didn't understand was that Yao shooting those 12-16 ft turnaround jumpers would prolong his career by avoiding the wear and tear that comes from fighting for post position.

5. GBRocket

GBRocket Contributing Member

He actually addressed this. Said that he has been "texting back and forth and talking to LO on the phone a lot" over the last few days and that the media is blowing things out of proportion.

In another part of the conversation he also said that he goes to great lengths to keep personnel moves a secret until they actually happen. So who knows what's really going on there but I tend to take him at his word on this one.

6. GBRocket

Interesting point. On the other hand its a little hard to make the case that Yao's injuries were wear and tear - most of them seemed to fall into the "freak/unlucky" category if I remember correctly.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

As I remember, Yao's injuries tended to coincide with in increase MPG.

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Which part, the one about the media blowing this out of proportion?

Frankly, I don't believe much of what any pro team official says as they have 'assets' to protect.

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Yao was not put together in a max physiological manner. His injuries were inevitable, and doubtlessly, to me at least, expedited by his year-round competition schedule with the Chinese National Team and the Rox.

Yao was too young a person to have the wear-and-tear of 35+ mpg affect him as they did vis a vis 24 mpg.

10. GBRocket

He felt like the media are exaggerating the extent of the rift between Lamar and the Mavs, instead claiming his relationship with Lamar was still strong.

11. GBRocket

Well said, I agree.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I am sure Daryl makes suggestions to coaches, but they are free to ignore him. For example, JVG didn't really play Novak much despite Morey's "influence." In fact, Novack averaged 5 minutes a game and appeared in only 36 games as a rookie. So, Morey's influence on playing time was, evidentally, that that great.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4160/career;_ylt=AjRoDcWzpMV387uZ8LaNil1wPaB4

Also, remember that JVG was with the Rockets only until 2007, so JVG and Morey's conversation about Yao happened when Yao's injury history was much less extensive.

13. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

i am surprised that Dmorey really wanted to hire JVG back after the let Rick go. IN the BS report, simmons says that Dmorey wanted him back but JVG didnt want to coach yet.

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It doesn't matter what Morey wants. Les Alexander wouldn't have accepted bringing JVG back, and JVG knew that.

15. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

K-Mac, .... a stop-gap?:grin:

16. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Exactly, and even if he would have, I don't know why JVG would take it, other than he lives here and likes it here. When he came to Houston, he was in a situation where he had a couple of superstars in Yao and Francis.

17. cod

cod Member

There were rumblings about the front office not happy with TWill and Thabeet's lack of minutes last season. Another claim was a source from the FO telling some writer how Thabeet's development last season was terrible or something to that effect.

The way it's played out for those guys under McHale. Those claims do seem hollow now.

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

They usually post a fairly extensive amount of clips from the event (eventually) on their site :

http://www.sloansportsconference.com/

19. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I thought the label of "Van Grumpy" was overblown. Part of it was New York media got on JVG's back creating him to be some manipulative self serving sports politician guy or something. (He was their "Isiah" before Isiah joined) And he had a little "baggage" with him.

He did coach a boring brand of basketball. But like THIS current team is FUN to watch? :confused:

Its ironic to see how the following coaches after Van Gundy are making Van Gundy'ish types of generic coaching moves.

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Morey is Brad Pitt and JVG is Phillip Seymour Hoffman