1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Rockets have made a trade, pending league approval (UPDATE: Padgett for Tsakalidis)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 13, 2007.

Tags:
  1. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

LMAO! :D

2. patricio

patricio Member

Spanouinis will have a compatriot.

3. nycundaground

nycundaground Member

It's good to know the rockets organization has spent a decent amount of money for a good cause, Tsakiliduius parents in russia.

4. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Let me get the madness rolling: Tsakalidis needs more playing time! JVG should be fired!

5. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Not a blockbuster, but a decent trade. What do you expect from Padgett and the trade exception? Probably the best big man available. Many teams are looking for one.

Doesn't he also have value as an expiring contract? Or do we have to wait to trade him?

6. Rockets Dynasty

Yeah believe it or not Jake can actually produce if he has minutes and plays in a slow down half court, plus his interior D and rebounding is pretty good.

He can certainly handle backing up Deke or Yao for some limited minutes in that role, and is certainly 6 fouls insurance on Shaq or Duncan or Bynum someone like that in the playoffs.

For anyone likening him to Lampe, you should look at some of the box scores from Memphis games last year when he started.

7. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I like these trades. Fast team trades big slow guy to slow team. His value and happiness instantly increase, with no great loss to his former employer. Same has been true of Battier. And Gay will be better off with the young fliers. Padgett -- eh, I can't rationalize that part.

8. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Lampe had an EFF rating of .17, Padget has 2.38 and Tsakalidis is at: 3.35 (and was 6 last year). Technically speaking he is no Lampe shade and very likely more beneficial than Padget.

Decent trade since he will get some minutes and we gave up nothing.

Hopefully we will also get Atkins since we lose many games because we don't get to the free throw line and Atkins is great at getting to the line. He could help us get over the line and the other team into the penalty which will balloon those opportunities up. Just my 2c.

9. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

Great trade. Dude can't stay on the floor longer than 15 minutes, which is just what we need. He can rebound and block shots, plus he has size. If he does well and learns a lot from our two excellent C's, perhaps we re-sing him as Yao's long-term backup. Deke won't be around forever (although people literally were saying that 10 years ago).

10. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

Awww, poor padgett...
    He got a spot on the Rockets Holiday Pack ad and then disappeared....
    good luck in Memphis.

11. dockerland

dockerland Contributing Member

I can't see the problem with this trade. Padgett was not going to get a look in with the current roster we have and we now have backup for Deke until Yao is 100%.

Well done again CD.

12. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

You can't combine a player with a trade exception, and big Jake is not Greek (ethnicity). Repeat ad nauseum.

I think it is a decent pickup. You know they ran this by Battier.

13. DJ

DJ Member

Strange thing is I was thinking about Jake a lot recently. I remembered when we acquired David Wesley. The night before I was asking myself does Wesley still play? What is he doing now? Then the next day there goes JJ and Boki for David.

14. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Tsakalidis should feel honored, he got traded for

TWO BEERS!

I take it that getting an athletic 4/5 in the mold of McDyess is very hard to come by

15. Rockets Dynasty

Actually I think he IS Greek by ethnicity.

Tsakalidis???

That sounds Greek.

He has dual citizenship in Russia and Greece, was born in Georigia (former Soviet Republic).

So I think you have that one backwards.

Example, my grandmother was born in Mexico, speaks fluent Spanish, writes Spanish, grew up in Mexico, BUT she is a US citizen........

My point?

She is white, not Mexican ethnically, BUT she is a Mexican citizen because she was born there.

16. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I hope CD bought Scotty TWO BEERS on his way out of town.

17. youming

youming Member

Maby Rockets want to make V-Span stay .So accquired Jake Tsakalidis(Greece).In proverb of our country:If you see your fellow townsman,you would cry.You will be very happy when you see your fellow townsman which is the meaning of the proverb.

18. ritou

ritou Contributing Member

You know what is unique with our center position: a Asian, a black and a white. :D

19. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Trade Exceptions.

Rockets used $2.9 million of their $4.2 million TE to get Tsakalidas. That left them with $1.3 million of that original $4.2 million TE. It will expire today, if they do not acquire anybody else. They then acquired another $998,967 trade exception for Padgett's contract that was sent out, which is almost useless as well but it does last for another year.

So much for Mike James. Unless we give up Bonzi with Sura. Don't see it happening.

20. jaredg777

jaredg777 Contributing Member

Right up there with the Elvin Hayes trade....man, was Padgett good or what?