1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rockets have been researching refs and how they are calling games

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, Apr 28, 2019.

1. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

2. Handles

Handles Member

We’re so blessed to have Morey. I freaking love him.

He’s playing a dangerous game by calling into question the integrity of the league. But it absolutely needs to be called out in order for anything to change. And I’m really happy we’re the spearhead of it. It’s not easy to be the franchise that calls it out. But we’re the ones doing the dirty work and I’m proud of our organization for it. There needs to be some change to the officials.

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Cuban:

If you want to know if NBA officiating will get any better, look at the @nbagleague officiating. 100% of our new officials come through there. We don’t invest 1/10 of what we should to train and develop our GLeague refs

We have our former big name officials spending most of their time working with current NBA refs, and minimal time with GLeauge refs. It should be the exact opposite. Does anyone think refs with 20 years + experience are going to take advice from their former peers ?

And of course there is just as much turnover in those positions, mostly driven by politics , as there has been with the head of officiating spots.

As I’ve been saying since 2000 and my days working at @DairyQueen , the issue usually isn’t the officials themselves, it’s management and how they recruit, hire, train, let officials who can’t make the playoffs after 10, 15 years stay on staff for lack of replacements and more

My hope is that the new regime of nba management will improve all of this. They certainly have said they would, but there really haven’t been demonstrable examples they have shown us.

IMO, one of the core problems of the group is the belief that only former officials know how to train current officials and identify and develop new talent. I couldn’t disagree more.

You don’t have to be a former nba player to coach or do player development. There is a long list of professions where the best training and management comes from those whose core competency is training and managing people. Officiating is no different. #endofrant

dje243, clutchdabear, jcf and 4 others like this.
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

baby faced assassin!

Tfor3 likes this.
  5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I think it's a more nuanced point than calling out the integrity of the league. I think he's saying that the most veteran NBA officials are missing way too many calls (heavily favoring the warriors) that it's a paradox between the league emphasizing rules during the regular season, and the senior officials (who makeup the playoff crews) aren't following those rules when the games are reviewed in slow motion. If the league had no integrity, they wouldn't even review the games and slow motion and give the Rockets a report of the league's findings.

buffalobills!!! likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

He doesn't have any choice but to call out the league.

The Rockets are not going to beat the Warriors with the status quo officiating.

Daryl Morey tried to be diplomatic last year when he discussed his audit with the league. It changed nothing and the Rockets were screwed.

At this point there is nothing else he can do.... so he leaked it to the press and is hoping that there is enough of a change to give the Rockets a chance.

However at the end of the day, in the crucial games of the series, the refs will do the same thing it did in game 1....... and Morey knows that too.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah.... no.

He knows that the league officiates the games differently in the playoffs, that certain refs are given certain assignments depending on the match up and what is in the best interests of the front office.

The league gives "reports" because they want to be viewed as transparent, and for no other reason.

Tfor3 likes this.
  9. N2bnfunn

N2bnfunn Member

Well this is what I did today and went back and watched most of the game over, and I did noticed that the ref's were calling mostly fouls when you drove to the rack and not jump shots.

10. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

not be tolerated how? they won't give us the calls they already aren't giving us?

11. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

790 said there was an NBA report from last year's WC Finals stating the Warriors had a 90+ point advantage from missed calls.

I'm thinking that may've made a difference in the outcome.

Tfor3 likes this.
  12. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

while harden's efficiency does go down a lot in the playoffs, where are you getting that lebron and jordan's goes up? they basically stay the same in TS%, though its still a little bit lower (jordan's career playoff/regular season TS% is almost identical but his last 2 years in washington drug down his regular season TS% a decent amount without impacting his playoff TS% so not apples to apples). but a small drop is to be expected given that you face better defense in the playoffs.

hakeem's actually did go up, which is amazing.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

More like heavy fine, suspensions, possibly even loss of draft picks as punishment.

14. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

15. the11mingdynasty

the11mingdynasty Contributing Member

Morey just laid a roadmap for a clutchfans class action lawsuit.

16. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

This wont do ****, if anything it'll just make the fans hate Harden even more because he is already known the the flopper who cheats the game.

17. Mr. Turbo

Mr. Turbo Member

I mean, facts are facts though. Morey is backing it up with data and you can't argue that. The league could surely be doing shady things and if anything of further significance came out or was leaked, it could destroy the brand, the league, public trust...

18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Sure. That’s great. It may lead to some changes down the line, but it won’t effect anything in this series. If anything...it will hurt us. League obviously will not respond well to being called out like this.

So not only did we lose yesterday, we hurt out chances going forward.

19. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

2002 Kings, 2006 Mavs, it sucks we likely will end up being listed twice among these. NBA is the only league this happens.

The biggest sign to me that the league is no longer predictable even if you are an analytical genius is Bob Voulgaris signing a deal with the Mavs. If the greatest sports bettor in the history of the world decides he doesnt want to bet NBA games anymore (where he was making 8 figures a year) and take a 9-5 with the Mavs, it tells you something. He nor Ewing 2.0 or any kid he gets from MIT to code for him can figure this out, because it is not authentic.

#239 BallSoHarden, Apr 29, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2019