1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets game blacked out on Directv 674

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jama6901, Dec 18, 2014.

Tags:
  1. AB83Rules

AB83Rules Member

Then you don't have DirecTV, the Hopper is exclusive to Dish Network. Genie is DirecTVs version, and there is a reset button you need to press the panel to the right, and there is a red reset button you press in.

2. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

I always have this issue when they play the pelicans.

3. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

im usually nice and understanding, but tonight i was pissed and livid towards everyone. i dont understand why comcast and att are airing it and some directv customers. yet here i am not able to watch it. i went to multiple suprevisors and supervisors or supervisors and got the same bullshiiit answer. "We have no control" "its the providers fault" "its up to the NBA"

so the nba prefers i be with comcast? i threatened to wuit and join comcast, actually called and got info on starting up along with the cost to cancel directv, and they didnt give a flying fuuck. no sympathy and all the representatives were asssssholes. i really might join comcast tomorrow.

stupid... directv joined with attt to buy the gaming rights of the rockets and astros and yet the only major provider not carrying it is directv and you want me to believe its the NBAs fault? they chose directv in my specific area? pleaseeeeee.......

4. Metropolis777

Metropolis777 Member

For everyone who had this problem tonight make sure to call DirecTV tomorrow and b**** and demand compensation for it. They will definitely give you discounts and free channels for mistakes love me this

5. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Unfortunately I had no issues with Uverse. You guys didn't miss **** but I'd be pissed off too. I wonder what their explanation is going to be? I also have ballstream though so I would have been able to watch regardless. Just sayin, direct tv has some explainin to do.

6. Rox_Mayhem

Rox_Mayhem Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>A <a href="https://twitter.com/DIRECTV">@DIRECTV</a> spokesman says company is looking into what caused the problem for many area DTV viewers tonight on Rockets game. Will advise.</p>&mdash; David Barron (@dfbarron) <a href="https://twitter.com/dfbarron/status/545794098599182337">December 19, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. danielcp0303

danielcp0303 Member

I'm in southeast Texas with DirecTV. I got the game tonight, but I also know that I usually get Pelicans games whenever the Rockets aren't on. Maybe there was an overlap or something

8. GMNot

GMNot Member

Thanks for catching this and posting it. As fans we are pretty powerless in these situations to know what is going on. Most of us don't follow tweets like this and so call DirecTV, as mentioned by several here.... and yes, their representatives don't really know very much. If it isn't in their "cookbook" of solutions. most seem clueless.

And, of course, thanks to David Barron for taking the time to both inquire and tweet about it. (Maybe he has DirecTV and was blacked out, too.) The game was over by that time, but it is nice to know someone with some power -- the power of the published word -- can, apparently, contact people that fans don't normally have access to, and get some information out... or can threaten to write about it in the Houston Chronicle. ;) At least it was acknowledged by someone at DTV, to him, that there shouldn't have been an issue. (Implied by no "blackout" explanation and their surprise that it happened.) Did any of us who called get that type of response? I doubt it. Reps. just parroted that blackouts can occur at the discretion of the team and they have no control over it.

To me, the whole blackout schema is anachronistic in the age of streaming media content. Just a little poking around I found several links about the issue:

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...c-votes-to-end-its-sports-blackout-rule.shtml (Surprisingly, in this article it is stated that the NFL is really the only league left that is bothering with blackout rules, they've now lost that partner as the FCC has unanimously voted to repeal its support for sports blackouts. If that is so, that the NFL is the only league "left," why are games on NBA TV still blacked out? It serves subscribers best to have the option of watching the team's coverage as well as the "national" channel's coverage. I like to hear the analysts on both and switch back and forth when it is available.)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/aliciaj...lackout-rule-is-not-a-touchdown-for-nfl-fans/

http://blogs.mprnews.org/newscut/2014/10/nba-deal-a-sign-that-tv-is-dead/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackout_(broadcasting)#NBA_blackout_policy

... as examples. The FCC rules probably need to be rewritten to address what the powers needed to handle issues on Internet "broadcasting." And consumers should have a say before any rule changes are enacted. It should be debated, rather than decreed. It may, in the end, turn out like the net neutrality debate, but it should be debated/discussed.

According to the last link, the Wiki entry, blackouts are only enforced regarding NBA TV. I live more than 35 miles from Houston and recently had a Rockets game on NBA TV blacked out. Why? Here the league is wanting to expand to other countries and yet, blacks out games on NBA TV for some domestic subscribers? I think it is flawed marketing logic. Realistically, how many people living, as I do, about 100 miles from Houston, are going to be "conditioned" by blackouts to start attending games? There should be no blackouts on NBA TV broadcasts.

DirecTV certainly isn't a perfect product. But many who switched to Dish returned to DirecTV. I've subscribed since 1997, specifically, to watch the Rockets after moving to central Texas, at the time. Most calls I've made over the years, as to "glitches" in operations, have usually resulted in the cookbook directive, "Reset your receiver." Software upgrades, tend to bring new issues and don't always solve existing issues; issues I reported on off and on for months. Do the software people care? Sometimes one wonders if they are actually owned by Microsoft.

Let's hope, after years, (see "refresh" below) they'll figure out what happened to require people to have to "reauthorize" their receivers when they had just watched the Rockets the night before with no issues. Back in the old days, when something went wrong with broadcast signals, stations would air the message "We are having technical difficulties with this program broadcast and are working to restore normal service," or something akin.

DirecTV does have that capability, it's just a shame that they don't have a better protocol/procedure in place to verify issues when they first start getting calls, and escalating it (I love their phrase for that) so that, very shortly, they display that message that they are aware of the problem and are working on it, instead of having subscribers panicking that they are missing a broadcast they know they should be getting and wasting their time with DTV reps. who have no clue as to the real problem. A message in the "crawler" at the bottom of the screen, acknowledging that some viewers are having issues and the "we are working on it," wouldn't interrupt viewing for those who are getting it, while also making it part of the blackout screen suggesting one try reauthorization via the Web. This is not Rocket science. :grin: And it should definitely be added to the rep. "cookbook," when addressing complaints about blackouts.

Actually, since some here knew about the reauthorization solution, it supports the perception of apathy on the part of DTV. (That fact that I have NEVER been given a phone number for DTV business operations, doesn't help that perception.) It is a known issue for some people to be aware of the solution. So why hasn't DVT come up with a solution to prevent the need to reauthorize? What causes it to happen in the first place? Wouldn't it boost subscriber confidence if engineers at DTV would post an analysis, prominently, on their website, of how they think it is happening and that they are working on it? I have had a few reps., over the years, try a "refresh" of the receiver when trying to resolve reception issues. Why wasn't that tried last night for those of us who called? Again, why hasn't the problem been addressed to prevent it from needing to be done in the first place?

Sorry for such a long post. It just is very frustrating for customers and we'd like to see some action to both improve response to these types of problems when they arise and prevent them from happening in the future.

9. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

what surprises me is that direct tv normally has all the games, including preseason games on nba LP. so unfortunate.

10. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

must have been only in certain areas since I'm in Baytown and it was never blacked out here on Direct.

11. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was at a bar not 5 miles from my house and they had this issue. When I got home, the game was recording with no problem. Even if I had known the solution at the time, it's not really feasible to ask the bartenders to go online, login and find the "refresh my signal" button, etc. What a bunch of nonsense.

12. htown7829

htown7829 Member

All I had to do was call customer service and have the signal reset and was good to go

13. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

I live in bama and I have root sports and league pass but root sports is always blacked out which means that the Houston broadcast is blacked out on league pass and I have to listen to the other teams broadcast...its infuriating.

14. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Wierd, because I'm in the Crosby area and had issues.

15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I had this happen to me on DirecTV with a league pass subscription in the last few minutes of a Rox/Warriors game as well. Was watching the game until about the last 2 minutes and all of a sudden it reports an error that the game is blacked out. At that point, it was clear we weren't winning so I didn't care to watch the rest but same "WTF" moment with a Rockets game on Direct TV curiously blacked out suddenly.