1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Full MLE Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Matt78777, Nov 18, 2020.

1. treyk3

treyk3 Member

But why? We aren’t getting the pick. Fight for a 6-8 seed until both of those guys have rehabilitated their perceived value and then find the best packages. Sometimes the best deal is to wait on a better deal.

DeBeards and Rudyc281 like this.
  2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

We would be just avoiding the inevitable.

And teams would know that and really try to low ball us. Not to mention if Russ gets hurt it’s really over.

I think if a deal happens for Russ a Harden trade wouldn’t be too far behind.

DeBeards likes this.
  3. treyk3

treyk3 Member

It was inevitable Russ wanted out last year and the Thunder still got 2 picks and 2 swaps for taking on a bad contract.

It was inevitable that PG wanted out last year and the Thunder got a mountain of assets.

Just wait it out. The best deal is no deal right now. I am involved in negotiations on a fairly regular basis (not sports), this is the play in my opinion.

You have two options.

A) Sell low: The sunken cost fallacy. You believe that there is no recovery in his value .

B) Hold : hopefully his value goes up, worst case scenario is that his contract gets shorter.

Corrosion, DeBeards, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  4. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

For those familiar with the collective bargaining rules, can’t we technically use the 12.8 mil TPE in a sigh and trade to get Ibaka or one of those higher priced FA?

joshuaao likes this.
  5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I know, Hayward was making $34 million with Boston that he opted out of.....do you think or does he think he
    is getting more with the Knicks? They just dumped Bobby Portis and his $15M, and I think he is a good player....
    better than often injured Gordon Hayward, again IMO.

What do the Knicks think these players in free agency are going to ask for? Answer: more than they think.
    Bobby Portis is actually a good free agent type pickup right now, have you seen the list. He jumps near the top.

Knicks had it and are going to walk from it, crazy. Toppin is not at that level yet. C’mon Knicks. Still dumbest team in the league......all that money and no brains.

#165 ApacheWarrior, Nov 20, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    DeBeards and D-rock like this.
  6. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I would love to get a rundown at what we actually have at our disposal at the moment to upgrade the roster from someone like Bima.

7. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

That’s false it was huge breaking news when PG got traded...I’ll give you Russ because after PG got dealt we knew Russ was gone.

And in this case your tripping over a dollar just to pick up a quarter because it’s shiny.

DeBeards and treyk3 like this.
  8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I can assist.

We have Russ: value? seemingly at a low mark. do not trade.

we have Eric: value? seemingly at a low mark. I would trade by attaching a pick for another low value contract like Myles Turner.

We have the RoCo trade not completed: This could involve the Rockets with two picks and a TPE or this could involve the Rockets with Christian Wood at a 2021 pick from Portland.

Our 2021 Pick is theoretically available in deals now.

we have James: value? EVERYTHING.

we have PJ: value? More than most people would imagine.

we have House: value? Honestly I don't know.

9. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

That's based on actual caps, right?

Those include cap holds for players that can be released.

Example:

The Pelicans can renounce Favors and Moore and that would free up over $48M in cap space.

OKC can renounce Gallinari and Robertson and free up an additional $50M in cap space.

Miami has $77M tied up in cap holds for Dragic, Hill, Leonard and Crowder.

Not saying that those teams are interested in Wood, just showing that there are other teams that can be players in FA.

That's also not including other teams doing a SnT with Detroit.

Do any teams have a TPE that large?

D-rock likes this.
  10. finsraider

finsraider Member

That was from Bobby Marks. Not sure he accounted for cap holds. Based on the numbers you provided, I would assume not.

I saw Bima was trying to clarify the SnT options with Detroit. They only have early bird rights on Wood and just $9 million in cap space, so I don’t think that’s a way for him to get more money.

So whether it’s a SnT or the full MLE, the only way he’s getting more than ~$9 million is to sign with someone else via cap space.

DeBeards and D-rock like this.
  11. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Yeah I dunno. I read a report that said you can’t use both the full MLE and TPE in the offseason. You can use the TPE in a trade or waiver pickup. I don’t see why we can’t use the TPE in a sign and trade instead of MLE this offseason. But yeah need Bima or someone to explain.

12. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We can use the TPE in a deal, and then the MLE on top of that.

joshuaao likes this.
  13. aelliott

Take a look at Toronto's current cap. They've got $90.0M tied up in cap space for Gasol, Ibaka and VanVleet.

Anyone have a TPE as large as the Rockets? Phoenix will generate a $14M TPE in the Oubre deal, no? Who else?

D-rock, joshuaao and saleem like this.
  14. aelliott

There's no restriction against using them both.

You may have seen something related to being hard capped that could potentially prevent them from using both.

If a team uses more than the taxpayer exception portion of the mid-level exception or if they sign a player in a Sign and trade then they are immediately hard-capped. They wouldn't be able to exceed the tax apron amount for any reason. For the upcoming season, I believe the hardcap is just under $139M.

So let's say that Houston goes out and signs a player for the full non-tax payer MLE of $9.8M. I believe that their current payroll is $122M so that would increase their payroll to $131.8M. Since they'd be hardcapped, they could only use just over $7M of the TPE since they are not allowed to exceed the hardcap.

That's an over-simplification since they'd need to use some of that money to sign other players too. Any money spent on those players would further reduce the amount of the TPE that they could use.

Obviously, they could also dump salary to free up some more space too.

Does that make sense? It's not that you can't use both but based on their current payroll they may not be able to because of the hardcap.

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Lots of love to you bro. You made me laugh, when you mentioned your comments about Frank Ntilikina. I'm kinda high on him too. He is smart, and is getting better with his jumper. He doesn't lack courage. A good backup for RW imo. I do admit, I don't know his stats. He passes the eye test for me.

I would make a bad scout. lol! Stats are important, I look at the little things more often.

Mental strength, and team work is the biggest thing with me after they pass the physical. If a guy is quick enough and isn't afraid of contact, I'll take him over a slightly more talented player.

DeBeards, joshuaao and ApacheWarrior like this.
  16. saleem

Mr. aelliott how big is the Rockets TPE after the Ariza trade? Detroit has 15M plus right now. More than enough to re-sign Wood.

DeBeards likes this.
  17. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Few agents of elite players wanna pick up the phone to have a talk w/ ny knicks for sure…those players who fallen into the knicks BLACK HOLE went south n shorten their career w/ no exception…melo, marbury, gibs, David Lee etc.
    Going back to the topic, everybody in CF could feel the tendency that we are heading south now, luckily covid having ferntits' back to the wall since the hospitality businesses got the biggest hit, n the economy recovery may take a while, i believe owners like ferntits who got no passion no believe in the game gonna be as penny-pincher as they could be while seeking generous buyers…
    So, i expect nothing but a bit loss than a long sorrow.

D-rock likes this.
  18. saleem

I admit I was wrong about Ibaka. He does have some good things to offer as a small center, but he does lack explosion. He might be worthy of the NTMLE.

DeBeards likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Ntilikina is +40% from corner 3.

Only 22, kid still has potential.

And is just under 6'5 with 7'0 wingspan. But most importantly, his shot is not broken like MCW.

DeBeards likes this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Suns covet Wood too.

Plan B is to re-sign Baynes.

DeBeards likes this.