1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Full MLE Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Matt78777, Nov 18, 2020.

1. treyk3

treyk3 Member

What they got last night in the deal.

You don't give up a first round pick and $$ for a salary dump equivalent to $3 Million after money allocated ($5 Million offset to the approximately $8 Million guaranteed to match Covington's salary) for a future HEAVILY protected first. You trade first round picks today for lesser protected future firsts.

They create a TPE after SNT him to us that will allow them to get even more $$....

Otherwise... Wood leaves in FA for nothing and they are without options.

2. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

If he opts out, keep an eye on JaMychal.

Interest is still there.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

should have been here previously but at this point if no harden, no point. and pretty sure he's thinking the exact same

D-rock and saleem like this.
  4. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

[​IMG]

dje243 and saleem like this.
  5. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

If your goal is to appease James Harden in hopes of convincing him to stay, you don’t trade P.J. Tucker. Also, Tucker is fully capable of playing the three.

D-rock likes this.
  6. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Op been living under a rock?

7. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

If I’m not mistaken, if we use the TPE, we can’t then use the NT-MLE, because the players contract absorbed in the TPE would get rid of our eligibility for the NT-MLE.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, please!

8. finsraider

finsraider Member

I’m completely fine keeping Tucker and signing him to that extension, no matter what happens with Harden. Worst case we are rebuilding, his game falls off a cliff, and all we are stuck with is $10 million a year. Best case, his game ages well and we trade him for more picks.

9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I figured he would still be on the table. Solid player, would not make up for losing Covington though. So I'm hoping we have more in mind.

D-rock likes this.
  10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I believe you're correct, but I've asked Bima for clarification.

11. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I think the NT MLE is a bit of a misnomer and since we would already be hard capped after doing a SNT, we can work around it and use both if we have the proper amount of salary space available under the hard cap to do so.

Trading PJ for Thybulle frees up 7 M. As of now we have about 15M to fill the roster after a few smaller contracts are added with three spots to fill. 12 Million going to wood right now would leave us with about 3 million to use out of BAE or through the use of an MLE portion to add another big body like Baynes or maybe a bit more and we go with less bodies. With trading PJ we could theoretically have 22 Million to spend (12 to Wood and 9.3 to Ibaka) while adding Thybulle and creating a TPE.

The idea of "being able to use the NT MLE" just means you have room under a hard cap that it creates by using those funds.

I asked him last night and he said my version is correct so unless there was something that got lost in translation it's good to go.

RudyTBag likes this.
  12. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

My goodness is it good to see you out here, brother. Hope you're doing well.

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've seen some posts on Twitter saying it is technically possible to remain under the cap and add two $9.3 players. One via S&T and one via MLE.

We would be paying the tax though and that is highly unlikely.

Let me try and dig up the tweet.

T FOR 3!!! and D-rock like this.
  14. treyk3

treyk3 Member

ohhh Green at the 5 M MLE and Wood into the TPE would be incredible.

15. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

16. finsraider

finsraider Member

Conley, Ibaka and Wood are the only guys I’d use the full MLE on, so let’s hope we’ve got a commitment from one of them.

joshuaao and jakedasnake like this.
  17. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

So if this is true, we have approximately $16.874 mil before reaching the Luxury tax threshold of $132.627 mil. I believe below this point, Tilman will not have to pay the luxury tax, correct? So can we sign Wood for more than $9.3 mil if we had to? I was thinking we could sign him up to the $12.8 mil TPE but not sure on that. If so, that would leave us with about $4 mil of the NTMLE to use on another rotational piece. Ideally we would sign Wood for a contract starting at $11.5mil and that would leave us with $5.3 mil of the NTMLE to use on another rotational piece that is better than the type of players we would get for Vet Min contracts. Still don't know if this will happen but it is at least plausible.

18. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Does anyone know how players who would fit in our TPE's would be counted?
    @BimaThug or @aelliott (Thanks in advance!)

D-rock and RudyTBag like this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

D-rock and joshuaao like this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Wood is not really that good of a defender, you may want to lower expectations there.

But much better on offense than Clint.