1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets frontrunners for McGrady

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikezamir, Jun 20, 2004.

1. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Member

Don't get Fisher. He's going to get killed by the Western guards like Bibby and Nash and Parker. Get someone like Nick Van Excel or Troy Hudson. Getting Fisher should be the last resort.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Is there anyway for the Magic/T-Mac can officially guarantee the other team that he will sign an extension with them?

I know T-Mac can say he won't resign with a certain team and can say that he will, but that is just his word. I know there is an opt-out clause in his contract, but is there a way he can resign before his opt out year?

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Fisher is actually one of the better PG defenders. He lacks size, but he is one of those pesky defenders.

NVE would be nice, but that would require him to opt out of a lot of money and he is not any better of a defender than Fisher. Hudson is a possibility, but he is still a shoot-first PG, that shoots a lot of 3's.

IF we get T-Mac, I doubt we will be able to find a long-term starting PG this summer. But finding a temporary PG, one that could start this year and come off the bench after will be easy. And Fisher would be my first choice, tied with Barry.

4. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Personally, I don't think the Rockets will do this trade. JVG is not a quitter...I don't think he's going to dismantle the entire team after being here one year, after a pretty successful season. Hasn't he already talked about what Steve will do next year? I think the Rockets will stay the same, or do a few minor trades (Pike,Ollie) and maybe sign Derrick Flopper.

Cod

5. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

It will be hard to pull for the Rockets without Francis on the team. IMO he is the most exciting player to ever put on a Rockets uniform. Plus what will I do for a username if they trade Francis??:confused:

6. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Au contraire. It wasn't his team. That makes a shakeup all the more likely.

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I always believed he was forced to keep the existing roster, allowing only for tweaks (Pike, JJax, Spoon).

8. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Well considering that new registration is closed for CF.net, unfortunately you'd be a pariah like those Eddie-themed nicknames. Sorry. :p

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You should be proud to join that elite group of longtime members whose monikers are based on departed players. There's some good ones. It's cool! :cool:

10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

What about that guy they called the Dream? Remember him? He was the guy who did all that neat stuff like winning MVP trophies and carrying us to back to back championships. He was pretty exciting.

11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

man....if we pull this trade off (and getting Gooden or Howard)and the supposed Pike for Ollie trade, I wish the Rockets could woo Fisher with the MLE.

PG:Fisher/Ollie
    SG:TMac
    SF:JJ
    PF:Howard
    C: Yao

It's not star-studded (well ok it's not FOUR HOFers) but it's a pretty solid starting lineup.

Tack on the fact that they better use our favorite player, TE, as trade bait, we might bring in a PF or more depth to the bench.

*SPLASH*

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I would like Fisher as a back up but not a starting point guard. Give me Brent Barry any day over Fisher.

13. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

No doubt Hakeem was the greatest player to ever play in Houston but people have differrent views on excitement. Excitement to me is breaking down defenders with a nasty crossover, dunking on 7footers, and having that certain attitude. In no way am I saying Franchise is better than Hakeem I was just saying Francis was the most exciting Rocket ever.

14. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Excitment Dont Win you Championships!..

15. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Man our PG position sucks if it looks like that. I would rather go after Van Exel than Fisher. I know Van Exel takes a lot of heat for shooting too much but the guy has some great passing ability and could help the Rockets out if they get rid of Franchise. Plus Van Exel is a better 3pt shooter than Fisher.

16. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

Lil Francis,

Just a matter of opinion, but how can you compare anything SF has ever shown (don't get me wrong, I think SF is really fun to watch) to seeing Dream take apart David Robinson in the WC semis or school Shaq in the finals? Steve is exciting, but THAT was historic. For that matter, did you ever really watch Clyde play? SF is up there, but no way I could ever call him the most exciting rocket ever.

17. Kayman

Kayman Contributing Member

I am confused, which Howard is talked to be in the deal?
    T-Mac/Juwan Howard for SF/Cat/Cato is not a fair deal. SF is three time All-Star, and showed that he can bring it up a notch when it matters (playoffs), plus he is strong as an ox. T-Mac is unreal, but he has this cloud around his back that will always hang above him. So I would give T-Mac a slight edge, however, Cat/Cato is worth a lot more than J.Howard+garbage. Cat is a proven scorer, who can create his own shot, Cato is a smart and physical 7 footer. Both are relatively rare commodities. On the other hand J.Howard is a mediocre forward over the hill. These are a dime a dozen.

Now, if the talk is about the other Howard, that's a different question. However, the Rockets may be smarter to go with with the kid from Conn...

18. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Finally someone talking common sense.

Im not sold on the T-Mac, Yao, and JJ, being soemthing to "cream" my boxers. Im not excited about this deal at all, every time the Rockets have done 3 for one or 4 for one, for 3 or 4 for two it has back fired in our faces or we never got where we thought we go.

I will say this as I exit this thread. You may get what you want. Francis and Cat and Cato gone, but in the end you may lose what you have.

19. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Everyone's so enamoured with Brent Barry... Even though he's a sexy choice, considering his great 2001-2002 season and consistent, he's such a defensive liability. Remember, everything starts with defense on the team.

That's why I've been pushing so hard to see Eric Snow in a Rockets uni. He knows how to run the break as well as Brent, and is probably the best defensive point in the league. He's slow, like Barry, and his jumpshot it pretty bad, unlike Barry, but he's a very good leader, and one of those outspoken "Future Coach" type players that a young core of Yao/McGrady needs.

Snow, JJ, Juwan Howard, Eric Williams at the minimum asking price, maybe Bruce Bowen. All smart veterans who can play, all good character guys. The perfect role players for a young, slightly immature core of Yao and T-Mac.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'd much rather see Gooden in the deal. TMac/Gooden would probably clinch it for me.