1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets frontrunners for McGrady

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikezamir, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Murfdogg21

Murfdogg21 Member

Francis for #3 pick plus Antonio Davis? No thanks. If we don't get TMac, I don't want to deal Stevie.

2. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Hey Gater...or any of you capologists...why is it so difficult to trade a BYC player if you are receiving a guy making a ton of money in return? WHy does it facilitate things to bring in a third team?

I hope this deal gets done!!!

I am guessing we will probably have to take on a crappy contract or 2 to make this work .

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

what is hoopsdynasty? They are either on crack, or uniquely pipelined in on info.

reports have confirmed that the Golden State Warriors have contacted Magic's GM, Weisbrod, about the availability of superstar, Tracy McGrady, who made it clear yesterday that he wants out of Orlando.

Rumors have been flying around that Phoenix, Houston, and Indiana are the top-runners. Houston and Phoenix do not plan on offering a trade to Orlando, but Orlando has already offered a trade to both of those teams.

To Houston, Orlando has offered McGrady, forward Juwan Howard and Andrew Declerq for Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley, and a big man possibly Kelvin Cato. The Rockets do not plan on making that trade, nor countering that offer.

On the other hand, the Phoenix Suns were offered on the night of June 18th, a proposal of Tracy McGrady, and Drew Gooden for Amare Stoudemire, Shawn Marion, and the #7 overall pick. The Suns refused that offer, and don't plan on trading Stoudemire.

Out of the Rockets, Suns, and Pacers the most interested team seems to be the Indiana Pacers, who have a lot to offer. The Pacers are willing to trade up Al Harrington, Johnathon Bender, Ron Artest, and might have to throw in Fred Jones to Orlando for Tracy McGrady, Andrew DeClerq, and future considerations. The Magic have been pondering about this deal, but it may backfire and end up having a log jam at the Small Forward position.

Believe it or not, the Golden State Warriors are the leading candidate for the McGrady sweepstakes, according to an Orlando Magic official. The Warriors are offering Jason Richardson, Mike Dunleavy Jr., Clifford Robinson, and their #11 overall pick to Orlando for Tracy McGrady, and the #37 overall pick(via Pho).

Wiesbrod, who is in the middle of the confusion on who to draft, Connecticut star Emeka Okafor, or prep star Dwight Howard?

According to sources, a deal involving McGrady is supposed to be made on draft night, June 24th.

4. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Today was the first time i saw this Site!.. i saw it on Realgm!. there is half my Problem! :D

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I like the offensive firepower because Van Gundy could teach a ficus tree to play killer defense.

6. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

True, Fisher and JJ are Solid Defensive Weapons, but Howard and T-MAC?..Who cares About T-MAC's defense when the guy can destroy Any team by himself!:D..

7. Ying Yang

Ying Yang Member

I dont want Davis but Francis must go we have suffered the two headed Rockets for two seasons now and we must solifify our direction.

8. dconover

dconover Contributing Member

Wow... TMac.

I know that is not very profound... that is all I can manage to muster right now when thinking that it might be a reality.

PG The Ollie trade/Free Agent
    SG TMac
    SF JJ
    PF Howard or Gooden
    C Yao

Do we really like this team?
    I mean really?

TMac is fun and all but I don't know if this is a championship caliber team. Is it?

I would rather spend our money doing a sign and trade to score a Dampier. A big tough guy who could play powerfoward. And use the TE to sign a backup point guard. Give Steve and co. another run.

Yes... writing this I have developed cold feet.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Please keep in mind...any trade for T-Mac will deplete our roster depth THIS YEAR. But the trade is not for THIS YEAR. The trade is for the LONG HAUL. The long haul allows you years of the draft and MLE that allows one to increase roster depth and get the right role players. Getting T-Mac and with Yao that is the foundation of a good team.

Remember, not the short term...but the LONG HAUL!

10. Christopher

Christopher Member

Im I the only on that not to sure about this trade.

No doubt T-mac would be an awesome player to get....but it seems like we'd end up with a terrible team...with Yao and T-Mac trying to carry them.

I HATE the thought of getting Howard. He has made a career of not winning anything and from memory he has a terrible salary figure.

If we could pick up a tough rebounder or a solid point guard I'd be all for this trade. But none of the possible post trade lineups Ive seen really fill me with confidence.

Then again....maybe Im having Pre-Buyers remorse.

I want to get T-Mac.....but I want to make sure its the first step in fixing ALOT of the other problems we have in our side.

T-Mac and Yao are a BRILLIANT base to build a club around. What I think we really lack of those lower level stars that are vital to winning a championship. The Robert Horry's of the NBA.

11. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

Howard is making the MLE.

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

How about a back court of Brent Barry and TMac? I think that back court is much improved from Francis and Cat.

Plus we saw some very real flashes from Boki last year and towards the end of the year he looked great driving to the basket and in transition. Plus the mans defense is very underated.

Barry
    TMac
    JJ/Boki
    MoT/Howard or Gooden
    Yao Ming

That line-up is better IMO than last years line-up. I think T-Mac has been an all defense selection before so I'm not sure how much we loose in defense especially if we could bring in another defensive point guard such as Derrick Fisher.

13. crash5179

Plus he played pretty well for Dallas a couple of years ago when they went to the second round of the play-offs.

14. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

NJR -
    Francis's outgoing trade value while he is BYC is 1/2 of salary. So instead of $10m (2003-04 salary), he only counts as $5m. This could be offset by the $6.99m TE but McGrady makes more than $12m. Hey, what's a few more weeks? :)

15. Christopher

Christopher Member

It just doesnt sit well with me having him in the side.

What is the MLE? (I dont spend my life formulating NBA trades!) :)

Dont go into detaill....just the basic idea of it. ;)

16. crash5179

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 4.5mil.

17. Christopher

Christopher Member

So Howard isnt on a massive contract any more?

18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

WOW!! I went to sleep feeling crappy because of the "SHAQ/T-Mac to Dallas" thread. And the 1st thing I read when I get up is the "Houston Frontrunner" thread.

Is getting on Clutchfans.net the first thing in the morning a good or bad thing?:)

19. crash5179

No. That contract expired when he was in Denver.

20. Christopher

Christopher Member

Well thats alot better.

I was worried we were going to get stuck with a massive contract.

Thanks for everyones help...I realise alot of people here know all this stuff but I needed to be brought up to speed. :D