1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Free Agent Target List

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by smoothie, Jul 1, 2008.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Why isn't LeBron James on this list? He fits the system.

2. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

1. He isn't a free agent

2. We can't afford him

3. I know your being sarcastic i just want to be a jerk :p

3. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

Too selfish. This is the same guy who shot at the other teams goal to get the rebound so he could have a triple double. No thanx. I don't think the unselfishness on this team can rub off on him.

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

NO MAJOR CHANGES! We have good chemistry right now ... why risk it?

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

This is a nice Rox team, but one, I regretfully fear and believe, is not up to WCF stuff.

In the West with ostensible leaps by Portland and Clips (as well as maybe-coming status of Kings???) there is zero certainly right now, today of making the play-offs.

Oh, I believe they will be playing in the Spring, and will win 50 or more games, but the Good Guys need some well accomplished help to be an actual/factual contender.

6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Bob Sura did th same thing and the rox loved him.

7. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I'll add Mo Evans, Matt Barnes and James Jones as guys we should look at while leaving enough of the MLE for Landry (which Petrius and Posey would probably not). I think all have a little more game than Jarvis Hayes (not a lot more, but noticable)--though Hayes is not a bad 3rd tier option.

We really need to get this Maggette for the MLE thing out of our head. It is a pipe dream and merely a distraction. He isn't likely to go for an MLE, and in the unlikely scenario it happens there are better teams with clearer roles for him.

8. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

:D :rolleyes:

9. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

You are right in a first part of the statement, if you trade Shane Battier you will lost your most professional athlete but...T-Mac's not for blame.

On the other side if you are talking about James Posey who is along with Shane Battier one of the best perimeter defenders in the league you will partly miss the same guy, Battier.

If we were in the JVG era it'd be sweet to have both of the them because they bring hustle and toughness to defense and both of them lead the league in offensive fouls, fouls commited on them ofcourse.

Right now team is occupied with more athletic players that can slash to the basket and score and I think adding James Posey who avg about 7 ppg isn't a choice. Hell Michael Pietrus is better choice who is overall worse player but is a better scorer.

I really don't know but this team lacks third guy, another scorer. Francis failed last season due to injuries but he has another chance this year, or probably will have if he doesn't get traded.

Brent Barry, Robert Horry will not be answer to our problems with the scorer so I guess GM Daryl M. will try to hook up someone via trade.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I think Lebron will fit in. He's unselfish and knows his role. Maybe Joey Dorsey will take the young man under his wing.

11. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Do you think if Cleveland was stupid enough to trade Tmac for Lebron we could go ahead and plan the parade? :p

Make it happen Morey!

Those bumpkins in Ohio will surely trade the potential for a former scoring champ.. oh wait.

;)

12. RedGlare07

RedGlare07 Member

I think the Rockets do have good chemistry but I still lack a credible and reliable third scorer, one who can help make a difference in the post-season. I think you can add that player without killing team chemistry.

Combine that with a (pray for it, y'all) healthy season out of the Big Two and this very much is a championship contending team.

13. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

He'll be walking away to the Brooklyn Nets for nothing before Cleveland will trade the biggest name in the game.

Other than that, sure, get Morey so drunk he actually thinks he can make a deal for Lebron. :confused: Just be sure someone gets Morey on tape trying to explain how T-Mac can take the Cavaliers farther than Lebron ever has in the post season! :D

14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Actually, Sura shot at his OWN goal in an attempt to get the offensive rebound and the triple-double. That's at least a LITTLE better than what Ricky did (shooting at the opposing team's goal to get a defensive rebound).

15. Mac#5

Mac#5 Member

does anyone think juan dixon would be a good pick up for this team

16. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Hawks' Smith 'impressed' by visit with Sixers Philly going after both of Atlanta's free-agent Joshes

By SEKOU SMITH
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    Published on: 07/02/08
    The Philadelphia 76ers rolled out the red carpet for Hawks forward Josh Smith on Wednesday, complete with limousine rides, a guided tour of not only their facilities but much of the city of Brotherly Love and a brief meeting with Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter.

"We had a great meeting and a great time visiting with everyone here [Wednesday], and we'll continue to talk tomorrow," Brian Dyke, one of Smith's agents, said late Wednesday night. "What I can tell you is that we're very impressed with 76ers organization and the city of the Philadelphia."

Dyke and Wallace Prather, Smith's other agent, had a lunch meeting with the Hawks on Tuesday afternoon.

Smith's highly anticipated visit to Philadelphia, on the second day NBA free agents could be wooed by other teams, is just the first for the Hawks' two Joshes.

Fellow free agent Josh Childress, whose representatives are scheduled to meet with the Hawks in Washington this week, is expected in Philadelphia for a Monday visit.

His Washington-based agent, Jim Tanner, said the interest in his client has grown steadily since the start of free agency Tuesday.

"We're extremely pleased with the broad and enthusiastic interest in Josh from a number of teams around the league," Tanner said, declining to name any of the teams or the number of teams. "We're in the process of setting up meetings in several places. But I don't think it's any secret that Josh wants to find the best fit, be it in Atlanta or elsewhere."

The 76ers, armed with more than $11 million in available cap space, are making a play for both Joshes. They could force the Hawks to match an offer for one of them, leaving the other vulnerable to their advances.

If the 76ers use the entire $11-plus million on a contract for Smith, factoring in the allowable 8 percent raise from the base-year salary, they could offer him a five-year deal worth about $67 million.

That's $22 million more than the $45 million the Hawks offered — and Smith turned down — in October, when they had a chance to keep both Smith and Childress in Hawks uniforms with five-year extensions.

A front-loaded offer for Smith, similar to the contract the Hawks offered Joe Johnson three years ago in an effort to snatch him from Phoenix, could further complicate matters for the Hawks.

Childress could command a deal starting at the projected mid-level exception salary of about $5.6 million. That would mean over five years the deal would pay him more than $34 million with the maximum allowable pay raise of 8 percent.

Childress finished sixth in the voting for the NBA's Sixth Man Award this season. Much like Smith, who finished sixth in the voting for the NBA's Defensive Player of the Year Award, Childress has a unique blend of skills that are in high demand this summer.

Childress saw his playing time dip this season by seven minutes, from 36.9 to 29.9 a night, and still averaged 11.1 points on 57 percent shooting.

He was one of just six players in the league to average at least 10 points and 4 rebounds while also shooting better than 50 percent (.571) and making 20 or more 3-pointers. Shawn Marion, Lamar Odom, Mike Miller, Grant Hill and Andre Kirilenko were the others.

Tanner said Childress is looking for a fit similar to the one he's had with the Hawks, who selected him with the sixth pick in the 2004 draft.

"He wants to play with other good players in a good situation and he wants to win," Tanner said.

17. Asian Sensation

Absolutely not. Another undersized combo guard in the mold of Luther Head? Pass.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Ben Gordon?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&page=FA-notes-080707