1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets fire Jeff Bzdelik

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, May 18, 2019.

1. BigBum

BigBum Member

I agree that MDA is part of the problem. Codman has bias on this one.

Ramo$e and Asian Sensation like this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Isn't that one obvious? Melo, of course.

3. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

I like Jeff last year, but it should not take guys like Farried and how so long to learn a switching defensive system. To me that is a coaching problem those players were key in our regular season success and we needed the same production in the playoffs.

hakeem94, jboslett and Ramo$e like this.
  4. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

What coach fits that criteria?

To be fair, those deals were alleged and at this point, no one can prove the exact terms. I heard about these various discussion points throughout the year though, but I can't BLAME based on just that. Anyway:

1. Gerald Green is great for the Rockets. He's paid very little and is a difference maker. Those 3s (ALL of which are difficult to make...like on GodMode sometimes, helped us win many games) He's a keeper and loyal to Htown...fits well in the offense.

2. Harden WILL change. He's changed his game every year, either to improve or because the NBA makes a new "HARDEN RULE." His step back 3 this year seems like it was a result of no longer getting the freethrows he deserved. Refs stopped calling the fouls, even when James was obviously hit. So, he started shooting from outside and avoided relying on the freebies. ****I'm sure he'll have a new move next year that the NBA will try to counter****

3. I get the MDA frustration, but if James is your franchise player, you have to have a coach who believes in him to make the game-winning plays, without being like JVG (who I love) but felt like he had to call a play every time down. James needs freedom to be effective. Who will give him that? I think the ROckets need to invest in another defensive-minded coach, but also some defensive players. Tuck cannot be our only Killer. James was 2nd in steals, which is overlooked, but we need a guy like Trev who got in the passing lanes. We need guys like Pat Bev and Ron Artest who just want to play defense and don't care about shots. Tuck is PERFECT for this, but he can't do it alone.

4. If Cyber is right, Jimmy Butler solves a lot of problems.

5. We need a 4 who can pick and pop with CP3

6. WildCard: CP3 gets traded....I hate the idea and I think it makes us worse. But I'm sure it's being discussed. We'd lose the best defensive PG and the smartest PG in the league....he had a bad year. I think he can become our Steve Nash if we allow him to be a playmaker and stop with the 3s. Let him get in the lane, take the jumper or set up the slashers. That didn't happen enough this year, but NOT by MDA's design.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

He could have played Clint similar minutes but in completely different parts of the game.

6. Codman

Good question. Isaiah wins me over with the hustle, but I haven't watched enough Gleague ball to see if he can shoot the jumper. We really need a center who can shoot, just a little bit. I don't think the Rockets need a center who needs to shoot 3s, but an Ant of Minny or an Ibaka on the baseline would be great. Clint just cannot shoot....

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I definitely see your point---I'm criticizing him in this respect because Nene should have seen WAY more minutes than we saw him get. He may not have been the solution, but he was alleviating a lot of the burden whenever ha played. He played outstanding on both sides of the ball. Conversely Capela wasn't giving us much on either end, closing game 5 and 6 with him really started the snowball of things heading down.

Ramo$e and BaselineFade like this.
  8. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

If Morey is a dumbass, what does that make the other GMs in the league? 'Dumbass Morey' is the reason Houston has arguably been the 2nd best team in the world the last few years. It may not always be pretty to look at, but the Warriors have dominated the league for the last 4 years and Houston has been the only team outside of one Cleveland team that has even been able to slow them down. 'Dumbass Morey' can't really do anything about the most dominant team of all time being the way of Houston's title aspirations.

I suppose you think you are the genius who has figured out something all the other teams in the league including Houston haven't already figured out about how to defeat GS, huh? Is your answer "get more all stars"? What a joke....

Remlap likes this.
  9. smp

smp Member

You spoke about midrange and postups too much. Get ready for the 3>2 flamethrowers. Haha.

Anyway, good takes all the way around. I always enjoy what you have to say.

Codman likes this.
  10. BigBum

BigBum Member

Let's talk about reality.
    There is no championship with Chris Paul contract. All good players are not coming to take minimum salary.
    4-minute guy JaVale McGee would stay in LA if you don't give him one year 4 million.

When you have 40 million dollars, you can do a lot.
    30 million player + 10 million
    25 million + 15 million
    20 million + 20 million
    10+10+10+10
    15+15+10
    15+15+5+5
    20+15+5

#110 BigBum, May 18, 2019
    Last edited: May 18, 2019
    deb4rockets likes this.
  11. Codman

I agree with this. I think it was difficult because Clint was a liability when he wasn't rebounding. And, he missed so many damn layups. I felt the rage of the team when he missed layups that should have been dunks.

MDA should have adjusted in a way that Clint didn't switch up top...it would have been a Carlisle move, but a switch everyone but Clint would have been interesting. Keep him near the paint, almost leaving Draymond open on purpose in the PnR and confusing the hell outta GS. That way, with misses, we'd have the rebounds. Sadly, that's not a strong bet in coaching.

I think NeNe should have been played much more (not because I'm biased) because he could box out everyone and was our scoring threat from the C position. The amount of times Clint couldn't get open for James to toss it up was infuriating.

So, yes, I agree that MDA could have mixed up Clint's minutes. NeNe should have played more against Looney....He would not have let Looney grab so many freaking off. rebs. that led to Klay getting another chance at a 3.

ROXTXIA, Deuce, dlite316 and 8 others like this.
  12. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

We hired Messina yet?

13. Codman

There are ways around that.

I think Chris is still a great fit, but had a bad season.

I'd be open to trading Clint for the right price. You need a center who can catch lobs and play defense, but you could probably sneak in one of Morey's sharp shooters in a deal.

I like Clint though...I think he was horrific this post-season, but he's gotten better every year. I think he will continue to improve.

ALso, you cannot discount how important chemistry is. James and CLint work well together...it just didn't happen with Utah (Gobert) and GS (Green). I'm sure Clint is taking this super hard, maybe as hard as James and Tuck.

I expect us to lose one or two parts to our core though. If Tilly is serious, we're going to have to sacrifice to bring in a guy or two to get James and Co. to the next level. Tuck stays though, unless we're being offered the Greek Freak, and even then, I'd be hard up to let go of our grittiest player on any night.

ROXTXIA, Patience, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  14. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

I thought he was talking about a new subtraction to convince him to re-up for next season. Maybe I misunderstood.

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

That's good to hear, I think its become clear that we aren't winning a ring without tuck or another player like him. He is an MVP role player. They trade Tuck...we riot.

16. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

FUT the WHUCK. Are we going to give Melo another shot? This makes a lot of sense.

17. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I hope Jeff asked for this. He was in the middle of retiring when we brought him back but he didn’t deserve being fired unceremoniously if it did happen that way.

BamBam likes this.
  18. csnerd84

csnerd84 Member

Too bad that he becomes the scapegoat. I guess it is because they couldn’t stop this:

To me, we couldn’t stop steph and green pick p&r due to personal and big plays by steph, green and Klay when it mattered as opposed to the coach.

HP3 likes this.
  19. bret_parrish

bret_parrish Member

Jeff coached (MDA was out) last game of season when we choked down the stretch. If we win that game we're still playing and Jeff is still coaching.

hakeem94, topfive, pippsux and 2 others like this.
  20. Asian Sensation

You wanted to pay Ariza $15 million? He only came up empty when it counted most.

What new parts has Harden added to his game? The step back 3? Of course Harden is a fan of MDA. He lets him ISO and play hero ball so Harden gets his 30+ Points and is either mvp or runner up.

MDA is a pushover that doesn’t hold Harden accountable for ****. He lets Harden do whatever he wants which is ISO and be a ball stopper. Both MDA and Harden are talented as respective coach and player but together they’re a losing combination.

There’s ZERO excuses for Harden leading the league in turnovers AGAIN with CP3 one of the most prolific ball handlers and point guards of all time on the same team. So whose fault is that? Harden for not deferring more ball handling/playmaking duties to CP3 or MDA not making the proper adjustment cause he doesn’t want to upset Harden?

Harden has led the league in turnovers in 4 out of the last 5 years. And 5 out of the last 7 years. He was #1 in T/O per game in the playoffs as well. You can’t turn the ball over against the Warriors like that and actually expect to win. We’re NEVER beating Golden State with our style (Harden/MDA). It’s been proven over and over again.

You can hate on McHale all you want. I’m not a fan of his and I think MDA is the better coach but unlike MDA we’ve actually seen him have the balls to bench Harden when he goes on one of his disastrous struggles. Game 6 against the Clippers and McHale benches Harden the entire 4th quarter and we miraculously come back to win and ultimately that decision helped us make the WCF that year. That’s the last time I remember there being any repercussion for when Harden messes up and 2015 was a long time ago.