1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets fire assistant coach Dean Cooper

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ivenovember, May 10, 2014.

1. langal

langal Contributing Member

Agree that 5 games is huge.

There's probably around a 10 game spread between the top seed and the 5-6th seed usually.

A five game difference makes a big difference.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am not sure if there is any reliable statistical analysis on coaching. Maybe Morey has something. Maybe he was just talking without any substantive basis.

From an amateur POV, I just don't know how you can objectively measure a coach's performance, and how you can estimate how much difference a coach can make in terms of number of games won or lost.

3. RocketScientist

RocketScientist Contributing Member

McHale is almost as vile and hated as Comcast to me now.

How a hall of fame player can suddenly forget and not know how to draw a play for the end of a game or to set a credible defensive strategy is mind boggling. Either he got too many Jabbar elbows to his head or he is just a plain dope.

4. alethios

alethios Member

But why the trainer? What did he do to cause a first-round exit?

I was hoping that Les would see the light after seeing the difference between us playing Portland and Spurs playing Portland. It's night and day and most definitely due to coaching.

5. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

What a relief. All problems solved. Now all players can finally "play harder".

6. basketballholic

Mike Brown for assistant coach of the defense?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/H3s13YCeISg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Welcome Mike Brown.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

only if this franchise is truly cursed..

9. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Man clearly was a grunt that played on pure instincts. Even to this day he has a hard time explaining his winning post moves because he can't. These types don't make great coaches for a reason.

10. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

This. Trainer? Kidding? Can he tell Harden to stop wasting his body & energy in strip clubs and be expected to keep his job?

Spurs so far makes Portland like NCAA division I playing division II. If Les & Morey can't tell that Pop and his system have to do with this, they don't deserve to own or run a NBA team.

11. zenithnadir

zenithnadir Member

Scapegoat. I wonder how this fill affect morale among the other coaches and/or impact our recruiting?

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

McHale is the recruiting. Without him we don't get Howard. That's why he stays. Morey isn't Pat Riley.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There is only one Howard in the league. If McHale cannot get Kevin Love by himself, he should quit right away.

14. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I can't fathom why this thread is not 1 star.

It's like an elementary school playground argument.

15. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I think those of you spewing venom at Morey should remember that Les (allegedly) is the person who wants to keep McHale around. Les signs the checks...

It was clear that Sampson ran the D and McHale is incompetent regarding defense (and offense for that matter!) and that whoever was supposed to pick up the slack when Sampson left (because McHale is clearly incapable of doing that) did a terrible job and needed to go, since the owner wants to keep the head coach

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It has been quite clear through the years that the owner makes the decisions on firing or keeping the head coach, from Rudy T to JVG to Adelman, and now McHale.

A lot of posters here, including myself, have been complaining about Les's getting rid of coaches at his whim. The Rockets have been blessed with very good head coaches. Les just kicked them out when he felt tired of them. McHale is the first HC in a long while who is so unpopular that everyone is calling for his head.

I wouldn't blame Morey for keeping McHale. I do somewhat blame him for hiring the guy at the first place. People talk about how McHale got Howard for us. It was just a stroke of luck. I don't think it was why McHale was hired at the time.

17. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Howard joined the rockets here because of Harden and Parsons, and no state tax, McHale is not a big factor. At least there is no a direct evidence for Howard coming here to play McHale, I do not think so.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The Jazz have named Dean Cooper as Head Coach of the <a href="https://twitter.com/IdahoStampede">@IdahoStampede</a>. Cooper spent the past 2 seasons as an assistant coach for the Rockets.</p>&mdash; Utah Jazz (@utahjazz) <a href="https://twitter.com/utahjazz/statuses/499666777446424576">August 13, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>“We are pleased to welcome Dean to our organization” - Utah Jazz General Manager Dennis Lindsey</p>&mdash; Utah Jazz (@utahjazz) <a href="https://twitter.com/utahjazz/statuses/499667423151136768">August 13, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

One year you're helping to coach a team with legitimate NBA championship aspirations. The next you're in Idaho. Woof, it's like one of those awful commercials. Don't go to Idaho.

20. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

I'm indifferent.