1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets fire assistant coach Dean Cooper

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ivenovember, May 10, 2014.

1. bmd

bmd Member

I'm surprised at the number of people who didn't know he was on the staff. Even if you didn't know his name, you guys didn't see him during timeouts and whatnot and wonder who he is?

2. noone

noone Rookie

Dean Cooper should of guest starred on Cheers then he would of kept his job.

3. Rockness

Rockness Member

Now i see why Morey finished 9th..terrible handling of coaches.

4. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Now if McHale is the recruiter, that means Morey is unable to do his job as GM.

I would be okay with that, but McHale needs to shut the hell up in team huddles. because he keeps spouting these basketball platitudes that I'm sure just confuse the guys..

On the last shot of Lillard, it wasn't Cooper who was talking. It was McHale.

Can McHale stick to recruiting and let his head assistant coach? He should take an extended leave of absence.

5. fuzzthetone

fuzzthetone Member

Everyone except Lin

6. Nook

Nook Member

If the Rockets are going to add 1-2 elite assistant coaches, then that means 1-2 assistants need to go. Cooper was put in a hard spot, taking over for Sampson on the fly, but the defense did really regress.

7. Nook

Nook Member

You would be wrong... There are only a handful of assistant coaches on the Rockets, many people knew who he was... He and Harden had a "special" relationship lol.

8. TheresTheDagger

Scapegoat indeed.

I'm not here to defend the guy or his performance as a defensive coach, but if Lillard misses that dagger and we go on to win Game 7, he probably survives till next year.

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Scapegoat???.... naw. That person needs to be somewhat relevant in the first place to even be a scapegoat. That's pretty dumb to think of it that way.

More than likely this is just the first move of a few moves to be made to improve the coaching staff. More than likely they really just needed space for one or more of the new guys they are wanting to bring in.

I expect to hear more about this in the coming weeks, and wouldn't be shocked if they bring in not just one but two well known assistants.

10. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

:grin:

11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Daryl Eto was fired too? This is excellent. The conditioning of some of these guys is awful, with spotlights on Harden and Lin. Both guys seem to lose all energy on the defensive end.

12. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Well yeah. Sampson out, Cooper out.... there have to be two (hopefully elite) defensive assistants coming in to fill their positions.

13. Texanswin2013

Texanswin2013 Member

Wonder who will come in as trainer.

14. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Fired so a spot is open to place someone else into that position.

Wonder whos gonna fill the spot

15. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'd like to see them hire someone with a boxing background.

16. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Half of the kids on this board don't even watch the Rockets until we play a top 5 team.

17. underrated015

underrated015 Member

Lol I can picture him saying that , wonder what he has to say about our opponent getting ripped apart by san Antonio.

18. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

What does the CEO or head of a department of a company do?

I believe they do a lot--leadership, strategy, etc... but most of the actual implementation/execution is done by those who work under them.

The way I see it, we're close. We just need to instill defensive habits in the players. As a group they need to improve focus.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Are you really blaming Eto for Harden's lake of energy on D???? And Lin put more effort on D than Parsons, not even close.

20. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Bye Dean Cooper. Watch the Game 3 video when Troy Daniels hits the game winner he's one of the coaches that celebrates at the end.