1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets fans in China furious at Morey for supporting Hong Kong protests

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketsmanhk, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Off Topic:
    I ordered some cheap bicycle brake cables from Amazon over a week ago. The cable housing seems to be made of that toxic smelling rubber you find in the merchandise of dollar stores. This is obviously produced in a factory in where basic human rights are violated. Any thoughts on this type of weird rubber from you China experts out there?

#141 Sanctity, Oct 5, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Americans were considered rioters, hooligans, and terrorists in advocating for freedom and the right to vote. It was this little thing called the American Revolution.

3. JW86

JW86 Member

Morey should have kept the tweet since Tilman distanced himself from it. Now it looks all the way bad.

4. macan

macan Member

no more CBA for future Rockets Legends..unless Daryl is fired..

Jontro likes this.
  5. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

STAND WITH MOREY, STAND WITH FREEDOM.

FORK ALL THOSE BRAINWASHED IDIOTS AND FORK TILMAN.

6. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

I STAND for Morey!

7. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Not only that, their social scores might get dinged if they were to say anything. China sucks ass on a lot of levels.

Yung-T likes this.
  8. malakas

malakas Member

No Americans are not as brainwashed. Please...:rolleyes: we are talking about how hundreds of millions of people are okay with their government exterminating innocent muslims.

I have seen what is bestseller in China for young people. The amount of racism is breathtaking. We are talking about books in serials that are advocating outright GENOCIDE, and they have millions and millions of followers they have fanclubs and are the topic of discussion in weibo.
    Try to tell me that these types of books and entertainment would become best seller in america.

Also exceptionalism would mean that Chinese have this fanatism in their blood. Noone said that they are inherently a brainwashed nation inferior to others. They have become one though at this time.

9. malakas

malakas Member

He did break their laws. It's illegal to show support for the protests. It's illegal to say anything against the Chinese government.
    If he was in China when he made this post - he would have been immediately arrested by armed police.
    His "crime" would have been much more serious than what a bunch of thieves did.

ashleyem likes this.
  10. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Oct 1 is the 70 years anniversary of the CCP started to rule the mainland China.

Go to YouTube and watch march in the Tiananmen Square, I have many Chinese friends which still love their own mainland country regardless the government and they told me how they actually felt about this :

it’s embarrassing, we look as bad as North Korea.

11. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

For anyone that actually never followed the Hong Kong situation,

the so called riots that were going for month now, majority of the protesters were students, some as young as 10-14.

There are many destruction and fight against the police, but there is NEVER a single report of looting yet.

This is not the riots that the dictatorship wanted to paint to you, this is what the fight for human rights and freedoms all about.

Jontro, Yung-T, malakas and 1 other person like this.
  12. clos4life

clos4life Member

Anyone with an inkling of intelligence knows Morey is doing the morally right thing. I apply and support having the balls to do what he did as the GM of a team that has strong China connections.

On the other hand, our owner it's pathetic. All that shut up and listen, but when Chinese bots start kicking in he cowers and bends knee. A shame that such a weak owner runs our team

13. malakas

malakas Member

And the reason for that?

An unelected government wants to pass a law that criminals will be sent off to mainland prisons, where the conditions are horrible, there is no real just trials, and the Chinese harvest prisoners' organs.

Jontro likes this.
  14. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

As someone who lives and works in China, I know how sensitive of an issue this Hong Kong situation is. I’m not going to explicitly state my opinion on this matter (in case my clutchfans account ever gets traced back to me) but I’m sure y’all can guess where I stand. I can say that whatever Morey says won’t dissuade any of my die-hard Rockets loving friends from following the team.

The thing that makes me sad about this whole situation is that Morey is just stating his personal beliefs. He doesn’t deserve any stupid troll sh*t for stating his opinion. But we all know that, we’re all fans of freedom of speech, after all.

Ah, well. I’m sure this will blow over. But even if the Rockets become public enemy no.1 here (which they definitely won’t) I’ll be proudly repping the team on every Beijing basketball court

15. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

This makes sense financially. Give up on that market of over a billion people and focus on the approximately 6 million in the greater houston area.

p.s. I'm behind Morey but this is one of the dumbest posts I've ever seen. Please take math again. You missed the basics.

jcf and daywalker02 like this.
  16. bmd

bmd Member

It depends on the reason they are fighting. We had our own revolution here in America where Americans harassed British loyalists, rioted, and were considered hooligans by their British oppressors.

It depends on what they’re fighting for. I’ve seen rioters and protesters in the West and thought they were idiots because I thought their cause was idiotic. But the cause of the Hong Kong protesters is justified in my opinion. They are fighting for their human rights. Not “human rights” in the first world problem way like the right for women to be able to show their t*** in public. But actual oppression.

Yung-T and malakas like this.
  17. bmd

bmd Member

As for Tilman... I mean do you blame him? He put his own fortune on the line to buy the team and his GM tweets out something that pisses off a big portion of their fans in China. It’s fine if he as the owner wanted to tweet that because he’s the one incurring the risk.

jcf and bleedroxred79 like this.
  18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I wonder what the actual positive financial impact of China is on the Rockets? Obviously we know there is some marketing money. But that’s a zero sum gain imo. In other words there’s only so much marketing to go around. If the Chinese firms weren’t there, plenty would be. I think lots of outsiders have this somewhat naive view that China money just likes on top of existing money by the barrel. And personally I do t think it’s that - I think it is just a market they’ve focused on at the expense of other markets.

Absolutely they shouldn’t just focus on Houston. And more likely than not, losing China would hurts regardless. However I suspect that on the whole they could make a slow break from China and still create a very similar P&L without negatively impacting enterprise value.

Williamson likes this.
  19. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

I agree. Regardless of how Tilman feels behind closed doors he has to protect his company. Morey let his emotions overtake logic. It's about the bottom line and with the risk of potentially losing commas due to a tweet? Can't blame him for using a fire extinguisher.

jcf likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Some peeps think Mainland China is like the I. Republic of Iran. It is not.

It is the same capitalist machinery without the freedom of speech.

You get the same luxury goods and most of the movies.

Nobody remembers Deng Xiaoping and Hu Jin Tao. Those were really good leaders who drove the nation forward.

Xi is as right wing as one can be there, he isn’t all that, cracking down on corruption and building soccer schools, few of his accomplishments. He also stopped billionaires from investing heavily in foreign assets.

But some ppl think he is Hitler which he is not, he has a team of powerful people backing him.
    He is smart enough to have gained the trust of the common folk.

#160 daywalker02, Oct 5, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    freyzhang likes this.