1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets fans and Grande Communications

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Der Rabbi, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

Grande com in their infinite wisdom have decided to drop NBA League Pass. Is there an online version? Can you only watch live on the online version?

2. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

First, what is Grande Communications? Sounds like a fake cable/satellite company.

And yes, you can order League Pass Broadband through NBA.com and watch the games online.

3. Yao Rambis

Yao Rambis Member

I also have Grande. Do you live in Austin?

What was their explanation? Are you going to switch cable companies?

I'm pissed, but I like Grande otherwise...

4. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

I'm in Austin. Grande is a smaller Texas based cable/Isp/phone provider and they have always been pretty good in the past. I like giving my money to a smaller company (Warner Bros owns enuff of the world) and at least initially they were really cheap. Now they are now about equal in price to Time Warner (maybe a few bucks less).

I considered switching to Time Warner but that's a bit of a pain. The internet option is looking more intriguing by the minute. I have a gaming type machine with a big monitor so prob not losing much visual wise. It's $35 cheaper and if I understand their ad correctly you can stream any game from any point in the season so I wouldn't even have to remember to DVR the game. I wonder if it has an Iphone version like the MLB package does? Also wonder if the video quality is good enough to hook my laptop to my TV. Plus Grande is agreeing to comp my NBA TV for a year for the "inconvenience".

5. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

Oh the reason they gave was that they were losing money on it. I told them that they need to consider that lots of business carried loss leaders to get customers "into the door" as the say in retail terms.

6. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

I have run into this problem as well.

My apartment complex contracts with Grande, although I set up my account with them to supplement the basic channels I was given, earlier this year. I live in San Marcos, and have had LP the last 2 years with Time Warner (at a different apartment complex).

It seems that I should be allowed to select between local competitors. Am I legally restricted to Grande's services as long as I live in this complex, or do I have the right/capability to get whatever cable provider I want? Is it even physically possible to get Time Warner in a 'Grande' building?

My lease says nothing about Grande specifically, other than "internet and basic cable" being provided. The people on the Grande phones haven't given me much information on my options either.

7. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

I think they prob have the right not to pay for any of your cable if you don't use their system and you might not have the right to have their service tech doing anything to their property.