1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Facts FAQ

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by VesceySux, Jan 11, 2004.

1. VesceySux

VesceySux Member

Can we please get a sticky thread at the top of the GARM that properly explains all the relevant information Rockets fans should know prior to posting? There's always disinformation in this forum regarding player salaries, picks owed to us, contract lengths, salary cap info, etc., and it would be nice to alleviate this. Now, I'm not asking for a complicated explanation of the CBA or luxury tax here. Just quick facts that everyone should know (and should be able to reference), like this:

SALARY INFO

03-04 Houston Rockets Salaries
    Steve Francis - $10,067,750
    Maurice Taylor - $7,800,000
    Kelvin Cato - $7,344,000
    Clarence Weatherspoon - $5,445,600
    Cuttino Mobley - $5,394,125
    Yao Ming - $4,147,560
    Eric Piatkowski - $2,458,500
    Jimmy Jackson - $2,250,000
    Eddie Griffin - $1,696,024
    Bostjan Nachbar - $1,396,440
    Adrian Griffin - $688,679
    Scott Padgett - $699,769
    Alton Ford - $184,507
    Ben Davis - $160,692
    Torraye Braggs - $48,924

Total - $50,335,159

ROSTER INFO
    The Houston Rockets official roster can accessed here.

- The Rockets currently have 2 open roster spots.
    - The following players are currently on the injured list: Adrian Griffin.
    - The roster is comprised of 3 true guards, 3 guard-forwards, 5 forwards, and 1 center.

DRAFT INFO
    - The Rockets currently have NO 1st round pick for 2004. They do have a 2nd rounder, though.

5-year Rockets Draft History
    2003: Malick Badiane (2nd round, 44th overall)
    2002: Yao Ming (1st round, 1st overall), Bostjan Nachbar (1st, 15th overall), Tito Maddox (2nd, 38th overall)
    2001: Eddie Griffin (1st round, 7th overall), Terence Morris (2nd, 34th overall)
    2000: Jason Collier (1st round, 15th overall), Dan Langhi (2nd, 31st overall)
    1999: Kenny Thomas (1st round, 22nd overall), Tyrone Washington (2nd, 44th overall), Venson Hamilton (2nd, 50th overall)

This is just a quick sample list (that might be inaccurate :) ). You get the idea...

This type of information is available at ClutchFans.net, but not everyone goes there first before posting. Streamlining this information (in a sticky thread) may hopefully help decrease all the inaccurate posts (and help for quick research prior to posting). Heck, if need be, just provide links directly to the data at CF.net.

Thoughts?

2. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

yeah , nice little quick info sheet there :D

3. mrdave543

mrdave543 Member

thanks for making that clear

4. Mango

Mango Member

Put it in a nice table (for formatting) with the years the contracts end and you should be up.

5. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Member

i like this idea. this could really help improve posts.

6. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

just a suggestion to add to this great idea..

adding links to threads that have hashed out important technical issues (like GATER, aelliott, and NIKE have with cap and picks issues) and keeping a link available to clearup misconceptions about these issues would come in handy.

maybe a few of the posters that are more familiar with the more technical issues about the NBA wouldn't mind helping out to create a sticky that either has the information posted in it, or a link to the original thread.

I go to other non-sports boards that have stickied index threads that have links and information about commonly asked topics....it works well for people to be able to find the information they need without creating threads asking for stuff that has been posted a million times.

7. VesceySux

VesceySux Member

I was thinking about this, too. Great idea. Maybe GATER, aelliott, NIKEstrad, etc. could write a small blurb about how to correctly make trades depending on the team's cap level (under the cap? over the cap?) and how to factor in BYC status and trade exceptions. ANYTHING to help cut back on the old "Moochie for Garnett" moronic trade suggestions made on this forum time and time again

It would be nice to have a sticky, so that GATER, et all, won't have to keep explaining WHY Moochie for Garnett won't work over and over and over again. The offending poster could then be pointed to the sticky thread with a suggestion to "please do a little research before offering trades that don't work." Hence, because the data is readily accessible (and hopefully easy to read and understand), there should be no excuse for ridiculous trade talk. Reasonable trade threads (well, at least ones that actually WORK under the salary cap structure) might (and I say might) help strike a compromise between posters that like trade talk and those who want all trade threads abolished or moved to a separate forum. (But I'm probably just talking out of my ass. :) )

But to touch upon what I said before, if the information is right in front of you and easily accessible, there should be no excuse for threads that ask about draft picks, player salaries, contract lengths, etc. Also, in time, a sticky will stop the spread of disinformation (unless it's Feigen doing it in the Chronicle... :p ).

8. Relativist

Relativist Member

We used to have a links page on the old site. I'm not sure where it is on the new site, if there is any. What might be a good idea is to have a Resources page and if not actually list certain information (like current Rockets salaries), at least have links to places that do (like Patricia's Salaries site and the Coon CBA FAQ)

If we can identify certain other needs (like a good breakdown of Rockets salaries and capspace, draft picks, etc.) for which there currently is no good resource, maybe a creative poster with access to server space might consider throwing together a page that we could link to.

It might not be a bad idea to make a list of information we'd like easy access to and then talk with Tim or the official Rockets page webmaster about making that information available on their site. I'm sure the Rockets would love to make the official site more appealing.

9. Relativist

Relativist Member

Vescey Sux, where is all that info? Call me incompetent, but I don't know where that stuff is located on the site.

10. Uprising

Uprising Member

That's a good idea. Great little cheat sheet there. It might help improve posts. Is the BBS still closed off from outsiders? (people who want to join)

11. PhiSlammaJamma

How about a Rockets myth page.

12. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Number one myth...

Cat doesn't pass to Yao.

;)

13. codell

codell Member

You are just trying to start trouble ......................

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You guys should go ahead and start a thread in the GARM and let people contribute posting Rockets myths.

15. Uprising

Uprising Member

Kind of funny how just about every post in a feedback forum is from a "contributor".

It doesn't sound right when I type it. But in my head it seemed ironic.

16. Man

Man Member

Cato makes 7.3 million now?!?!

Steve..I thought he made 13 million.

Ben Davis and Torraye Braggs and Eddie Griffin are gone..

Mark Jackson and Mike Wilks. I hope Wilks doesn't get waived by the way..probably won't.

17. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Member

Need a list of frequently started threads

Yao's summer schedule

What's up with the uniforms

Cuttino Sucks

JVG hates Yao

Steve is the Best ever

Steve and Cat snub Yao

MoT to lead league in rebounding

Steve for All-defensive team

Mooch hates to Dribble

Is Clutch really Jeff and the Bear at the home games

Lets trade Boki and Malick for KG

Eggie sort of didn't work out that great

18. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

yep, thats me...the Troublemaker.

My title should read..."The Troublemaking Contributing Member"

:D
    :p

Rockets myth #2

SF and Cat feel threatened by Yao

Rockets myth #3

SF feels threatened by Mark Jackson

19. VesceySux

VesceySux Member

I think it's there SOMEWHERE. I didn't actually look, though. The roster and stats stuff is, though.

[gets out broom and waves it]

YOU BOYS SHOO NOW! STOP MESSING WITH OLE VESCEYSUX'S THREAD! YOU HEARD ME. SHOO!

... Anyway, does this sound like a good idea? Should I just continue what I started and make a GARM thread with all this info? (By the way, I used Hoops Hype for my salary info. I know it's sort of a taboo site around here, but honestly, I couldn't find the info elsewhere - i.e. I was lazy.)

I really think we need a cheat sheet around here...

20. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Member

versey - you want to use Patricia NBA site for salaries and such it has current contracts and when they expire and then make a table from there

ie with this data

Houston Rockets Date # of total
    Player signed years salary misc FA
    Scott Padgett ......... 10/28/03 1 minimum '04
    Mike Wilks ............ 9/8/03 1 minimum '04
    Adrian Griffin ........ 8/7/03 2 minimum '05
    Cuttino Mobley ........ 10/2/00 6 $31 million p-opt '05
    Kelvin Cato ........... 9/23/97,10/28/99 3+6 $3.4 mill+ 42 mill '06
    Jim Jackson ........... 9/30/03 3 $7.3 million '06
    Bostjan Nachbar ....... 7/11/02 4 $6,479,438 rc t-opt '06
    Eric Piatkowski ....... 7/26/03 3 $9 million '06
    Clarence Weatherspoon . 7/20/01 5 $27,228,000 '06