1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets expected to part ways with Silas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rolliepollie, Apr 7, 2023.

1. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

You know none of this can happen.

2. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

1. Wembanyama look like Spurs Bound
    2. Nick Nurse signs with Contender
    3. Harden uses Rockets to resign with 76ers
    4. Alperen Sengun Stays and Hater Silas Leaves
    5. Veterans are not interested in Lottery Teams

3. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

If Rockets beat the Wizards backups today, then I’m hearing Silas is back for next year.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He comes back as a mascot but would not bring any luck.

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

That’s the craziest sh#t I’ve ever heard and I refuse to believe it. I trust you are joking. These last couple games against 2nd team rosters are meaningless, other than to either cement or harm our draft prospects. I mean, if the rockets can’t even accomplish their goal of tanking for a high pick when they are so close to seasons end, I don’t know what to say other than that’s incompetent.

the org can’t have it both ways. Either they were trying to win this year and sucked so bad everyone should be fired. Or they are tanking for a pick, and if they blow that everyone should be fired. You can’t have it both ways.

#125 Aruba77, Apr 9, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2023
  6. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

“Veterans are not interested in Lottery Teams“
    Depends on what type of vets you’re talking about. Max contract players usually don’t do that but there are numerous examples of lower tier vets who are still major contributors signing with lottery teams. Reddick signed with Sixers in 2017 and he still had a lot of game left. Belleneli who was a good role player at the time and Rondo signed with the Kings in 2015. Pope signed with Lakers in 2017 after they won only 26 games. Randle signed with Knicks few years ago. Markannen signed with Cavs (accepted sign trade) in 21. Who says Rockets can’t get the second tier free agent vets with 60 mil or so in cap space. And players talk all the time. If Harden comes likely he has talked to other players to pull in other vets or stars.

7. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

What’s the source lol? Hearing from who?

8. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

I am 100% agreeing with you. However, Stone is ridiculously tight with Silas and will sell the fact that he won 3 of his last 4 games. Rockets fans will be shocked next week when expecting to hear of Silas’ firing only to find out he has signed a two year extension.

9. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Wayyyyy too much celebrating on this board for an action that is a 50/50 chance at best. This whole thread is based on a report from a no name reporter who claims we’re going after suckwad Scotty Brooks. That in itself should give you pause. Trust me when I tell you the connection between Stone and Silas is MUCH stronger than you think.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  10. topfive

topfive CF OG

Exactly. This year's Rockets team (and last year's) was just too young and inexperienced to win much.

I recall that Morey's analytics staff reached the conclusion that coaching was among the least important aspects when it came to NBA teams winning. Bad teams often still lose with good coaches and good teams often still win with bad coaches.

Stephen_A and No Worries like this.
  11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Are you new here?

Just saying.

12. Damion Laverne

Put yourself in Tilman's shoes. Do you really think he's gonna pay top dollar for an established coach? I threw out Mahmoud because that would be a cheap choice. Plus, we don't know that he would suck as a head coach (just like we didn't know that Silas would suck as a head coach until he actually tried to do it).

daywalker02 likes this.
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Yes, I do, if Tillman is serious about wanting to win, he will.

DD

Ubiquitin likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Tilly is serious when he is on media but then he tends to his other businesses.

I buy that he was a Rockets fan before but he isn't one of those owners who want something badly or know how to get it....the inside knowledge.

All he has to do is spend and hire a legend like Jerry West to do the blue print.

15. topfive

topfive CF OG

That makes perfect sense, but despite that, we have verified stories from the inside like this one in that article from Iko/Charania/Amick:

Wall and Silas were close and might have helped establish order, but the decision to exclude the veteran point guard from the rotation was a directive from management.

So Silas wanted Wall in the lineup (or at least in the rotation) and Stone and/or Ferntits said no. At that point, losing had become a priority and Silas was officially handcuffed by the front office. Also in that article is this:

[Gordon] approached Silas before the season with a proposition: He wanted to be featured more prominently, and consistently, in the offense. Gordon believed that could aid in the young guards’ development, and that his own trade value around the league would be raised as a result. It would be a win-win scenario, he believed. Silas, a huge fan of the former Sixth Man of the Year, fully understood where Gordon was coming from but reiterated that things were out of his control, sources say.

So there were major on-court areas in which Silas was not calling the shots because the FO had objectives that were not necessarily about trying to win games.

#135 topfive, Apr 9, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2023
    joshuaao, Stephen_A and Easy like this.
  16. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

It’s apparent to me that winning isn’t the priority. The word winning has never been uttered out of Silas or Stone or Tillman’s mouths. Rather the terms growth and development and phrases like “playing the right way” have been said. The roster construction should tell you what the priority for this team is. Winning may be a by product but it certainly isn’t the objective.

topfive likes this.
  17. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Players are in control of winning or losing on the court. They play within a system and set plays may be ran but the on court decisions are made by players. Every play has options on where to go with the ball. The players just have to make the right reads on the defense and find the open man. Or if a play breaks down then it’s up to players to figure a way out. And then there’s on court chemistry and playing as one and ball sharing. Rockets aren’t good because they don’t play as one and it’s apparent in most of the games this year. A lot of holding the ball or taking too long to get into the halfcourt set or one on one dribble drives and lack of extra passes to shift defenses. And last thing effort. Can’t no coach teach you effort. Players control the game and teams with the best combinations of smart and skilled players that play as a unit win. Pretty simple.

topfive likes this.
  18. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

You confuse cheap with a owner that's rebuilding. This is what rebuilding looks like and it's actually went surprisingly well. Is anyone saying The Spurs owner is cheap?

19. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

You confuse cheap with a owner that's rebuilding. This is what rebuilding looks like and it's actually went surprisingly well. Is anyone saying The Spurs owner is cheap?

20. Damion Laverne

I’m not confusing the two. When we had a chance to build on the momentum from the 2018 team, we cheaped out.