1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets expected to part ways with Silas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rolliepollie, Apr 7, 2023.

1. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Silas did nothing but keep losing games.

clos4life and HardenReturns like this.
  2. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

College game is different. It’s based on recruiting, building a program, and the x’s and o’s are different in a slower paced game. That’s why you usually don’t see the NBA hiring directly from the NCAA but instead groom coaches and pull them either from the G League or as assistants in the NBA. Haven’t really been many successful NCAA coaches with Brad Stevens and Donovan having some success.

3. fattz

fattz Member

This
    Or
    Buy out local U of H hero — Kelvin Sampson

burlesk likes this.
  4. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

G League or as assistants in the NBA. Haven’t really been many successful NCAA coaches with Brad Stevens and Donovan having some success.

What has Snyder won? He is 10-10 with the Hawks and underachieved with a stacked Utah team not winning more than 52 games in his 8 years and only past 50 games 3 times. Plus they were bounced 3 times in the first round and 3 times in second round. Overrated in my opinion. And what has Hammon won as an NBA head coach? Udoka is “decent”? He is the only one on that list besides Nurse to have reached an NBA finals and he took a .500 team the year prior to the finals.

5. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

College coaches usually aren’t hired or transition to the league well (Pitino, Calipari, Beilein). Donovan and Stevens are rarities and even they couldn’t get their teams to the next level and plateaued. The two realms are quite different.

6. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Vogel who inherited the Lakers? He couldn’t get the most out of Westbrook reportedly and couldn’t fit him into his system He also reportedly had a lot of questionable rotation decisions in his last 2 years there. He couldn’t get the roster to fit his system. Does this sound familiar? If people demonize Silas for not being a magician and making it work given limited resources then why would Rockets fans think it will work with Vogel who was very rigid and inflexible during his Lakers tenure?

rocketchamp likes this.
  7. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

It would be interesting because we will never know if Nurse Or whomever they put in here will be better than Silas given the roster we have. Would Nurse or Snyder or any of the names mentioned here have been any better with this young inexperienced roster with almost no vets in the main rotation in those first 3 years? A roster that can’t shoot 3s, undersized 5 who doesn’t play defense and fouls a lot, a selfish pg who holds the ball, and no vets to guide them? Think about that. But the funny part is whoever that will come in here will inherit a roster built on the past 3 years a bevy of free agent vets/stars and possibly wemb and fans will be like “wow this guy is a savior and awesome!”

8. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I agree with you. I posted something similar earlier. I do believe they wanted a high character guy that can teach and mold and relate to players and Silas did just that. He showed them love and you still see the players respond to him. This shows me he is doing something right. Sometimes the roster doesn’t fit the philosophy and it’s clear here especially with such a young core with no vet leadership and Silas has been trying to make it work and instill good habits as he Always says in interviews. The priority wasn’t winning but development and growth. Both Stone and Silas have continually said this in interviews. The organization planned this and likely never saw him here beyond year 3.

joshuaao, topfive and Os Trigonum like this.
  9. solid

solid Contributing Member

Nice guy. Probably an excellent assistant, but just not head coach material. Maybe later. Rockets need to move on. It is time to end the tanking, and compete. I don't want Harden back. I will repeat, I don't want Harden back. That would be a terrible mistake. I think it would destroy what little team chemistry we have now. Draft a stud. Make a deal or two. Get rid of a player or two, and retool. The team has a lot of raw talent. Needs to be put together. At present, team cohesion is a problem.

PWR, cheke64 and Aruba77 like this.
  10. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

No, his Pacers squads was what I was referencing.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This tenure wouldn't advance his career either way, on the contrary, he is now staying an assistant for life.

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

As he was supposed to.

Stephen_A likes this.
  13. topfive

topfive CF OG

Hey, we ran lifelong-assistant JB Bickerstaff out of town, but he bounced back nicely. You never know. But I agree that this doesn't help Silas' chances at getting another HC gig.

No Worries, Stephen_A and daywalker02 like this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Cavs didn't care about his relationship to Corey Brewer or that his interim gig didn't end in a negative record.

15. fattz

fattz Member

I liked him the first & second time he was with the Rockets (both successful)

16. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

He can bounce back. Would be easier if he washed off the stink of losing being an ass coach of an elite team

Stephen_A likes this.
  18. clos4life

clos4life Member

For all of you saying Silas had a roster too young that was not meant to win. Stop it. This right here shows it can be done.

GotGame15, Shark44, PWR and 1 other person like this.
  19. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Which is what the definition of a organization tanking is. So Silas should be given kudos

Stephen_A likes this.
  20. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Lol. Why would we put our young roster in the hands of a young coach with zero coaching experience?