1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets expected to part ways with Silas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rolliepollie, Apr 7, 2023.

1. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Wait. Silas is still here? Why hasn't he been fired by now?

juanm34, PeterKingX, Gakatron and 6 others like this.
  2. Damion Laverne

Might as well promote Mahmoud and let him hire his own staff if Scott Brooks is seriously in consideration.

PWR, ico4498, burlesk and 12 others like this.
  3. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Why now?

Idk how Nick Nurse can excite anyone. He inherited the right team at the right time and they've been getting a little bit worse every year. Now he's expected to move on to a rebuild? Ime Udoka also had a team with superstars and got run out after a scandal. Not exactly the sort of accountability and discipline you're seeking. Frank Vogel isn't exciting but he's the only one with a track record of building a young team. He'd certainly come here and set the tone for defense.

burlesk and ExTexanNowEastCoast like this.
  4. Ancient Moabite

Might as well let Lucas take over and give Mahmoud the associate HC title

Or go and bring Sam I Am home, or a P Hardaway/J Howard a chance

burlesk, ak99999 and Rudyc281 like this.
  5. ExTexanNowEastCoast

This board has really gone full r****d.

Scott Brooks took an OKC team that won 20 games under PJ Carlesimo and won 50 games a season later, and got them to the NBA title two seasons later. He is known as a coach who can communicate with young players.

I don’t know who Rex Kalamian is and I don’t care.

No thanks to Nurse. If he is leaving Toronto it’s likely because players don’t want him there. I can easily see that happening here. We don’t need anyone coming in here and pissing off all the young players. We won’t be able to sign any FAs and it will be JVG all over again, just with more hair.

I prefer we go after Edokah. He can command players respect and get these dudes to play D. Only question is whether the Rox will pay what it costs to get him.

6. clos4life

clos4life Member

[​IMG]
    I'm just glad the most awful coaching I've ever seen is finally over.

PWR, PeterKingX, Tfor3 and 4 others like this.
  7. WestendMassive

[​IMG]

PWR, rgw20014life, burlesk and 14 others like this.
  8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

WTF they better not f*cking hire Scott Brooks and f*ck our rebuild up for two years. I don't care he was a rocket, he's one of the most outdated coaches in the NBA.

That option worries me.

Imanimal, Rudyc281, burlesk and 5 others like this.
  9. Victorious

Victorious Member

Stone wants someone he can control smh

10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Shoulddve been done 6 months ago...

Its too bad the Hawks jumped on Snyder immediately, he was a pretty clear choice imo. I don't want a retread with no success, I don't want "old school" lame guy, I don't want another Silas stype.

I want younger, I want winners, or innovators.

Nick Nurse - Totally fine choice for me. Still young, has proven winning track record, was trusted by a well run organization.
    Becky Hammon - Proven winner, leader, lots of experience, young, innovative. Would be happy to have her
    Ime Udoka - Seems like a decent coach, but don't want that baggage, hard pass from me.
    Sam Cassel - Makes a lot of sense on paper, team legend, champion, etc. Worries me that he has learned under Doc for so many years and has never been hired away. Doc is a bad coach and a guy so associated with him worries me.

not sure of many more candidates than that

ramotadab likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

This writer has pretty good contacts.

This isn’t as good as him saying he heard from sources in the organization - but still, this isn’t a writer that makes stuff up.

Rudyc281, HP3, Mathloom and 1 other person like this.
  12. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

This guy know he's out the door so he purposely wants us to have the worst draft odds possible smh

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

14. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I have reason to believe this was part of Stone’s plan since he took over. Stone has not set this team up with vet leadership and guidance since the Harden trade and instead built the roster with mostly inexperienced young players. The team reportedly needed to “reset” the culture and they were rebuilding mainly through the draft. Rockets knew who Silas was—a likable high character guy around the league, longtime assistant who has a long history of working with and developing young talent.

They knew they weren’t going to win so they chose Silas to help groom these young men for the next 3 years which included that difficult first transition year. If it works then great but the expectation to win wasn’t there as both Stone and Silas kept speaking about development as the priority.

But They likely looked at year 4 and projected this to be a pivotal year with cap space and another lottery pick. I don’t believe they envisioned Silas in this position year 4 and rather have a vet coach. Nurse is interesting but he has underachieved the last 2 years with a solid team. It will be Interesting.

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Oddly enough Kalamian was Scott Brooks' lead/head assistant when he was at OKC and was a "hot prospect" as a head coach a couple of years ago from what I recall.

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I live in Portland. I had to watch a lot of blazers games this year. Between watching the Blaze and the Rockets this season, I’m lucky I have the will to live. But one thing is really clear: the Blazers spectacularly failed this year. Arguably they failed as bad as the rockets. They had high hopes, they had one of the best guards in the modern era. There’s real talent on that team. And they could finish with the 5th worst record in the NBA. If Scotty Brooks was an assistant coach or consultant or whatever…if he was associated with the blazers in any way this year, I want nothing to do with him. I didn’t think he was a good coach with OKC, nor the Wizards, and his Blazers affiliation is more than unnerving.

Rudyc281 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

To those who don't think a front office can dictate a "Tank Job"

Doncic only played one quarter and was shut down....Cuban was seen smiling
    as the game ended.

Mavs eliminated from playoff consideration.

burlesk likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yeah Chauncey looked like he was up to something but failed.

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

I'm not huge on hiring Nick Nurse either.

I would like to see us try to think out of the box a little. Would love to have one of the successful NCAA coaches that is a former NBA player and has a proven track record of success at developing players, like Tony Bennett. Hard to get those guys to give up their college gigs but could be very worth the effort and expense.

Would love to see the Rockets find a coach who can be a long-time fixture of the organization who is really focused on player development, holding guys accountable, and making them better. I don't see that in any of the names being talked about here.

That said, I don't think any of them can possibly be worse than Silas.

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member