1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets engaged with the Grizzlies on deal involving JaMychal Green and Garrett Temple

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

They offered him more but less than the max. The big deal NO offered was prior to his injury. If you think you are a max guy when healthy (and he is) then why not go ring chasing if no one of offering you long term max money? Go get your ring and hit the market again when healthy.

Why can't we stop knocking players for doing what's in their best interests?

JamalP. and ramotadab like this.
  2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Turning Knight (useless) into Green (useful) and Temple (useful), as reported, is absolutely a no-brainer.

3. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Look, I would love someone like Beal. But there are numerous smaller trades/buyouts that will be available to make the Rockets better. Whether it’s Burks, JaMychal Green, Temple, Wilson Chandler, Markieff Morris, Ellington, James Johnson, Wes Matthews or Bazemore. You could also engage Charlotte on a Batum and Lamb for Gordon, Knight and filler trade, etc.

Also, let’s be objective about this team’s depth compared to last season (it’s not as dire as it seems). While, yes, they lost Ariza and have not sufficiently replaced him, they now have another playable guard in Austin Rivers, and Faried is much better than what Nene gave them as a backup center last season. The keys for this season are finding some help at the 3/4, keeping the big 3 healthy, and getting Gordon in top form come May and June (unless he’s traded).

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Heck, I don't know if there's anything to this deal, but yeah, I hope there's more in Daryl's bag of tricks if this goes down.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm not knocking Cousins for going to Golden State, I'm knocking him (and the narrative) for lying about it. He claimed he had no offers and that has been the spin out there. He didn't WANT to join a superteam for an easy ring, he didn't have a choice. Look how dumb everyone looks now! Warrior so smart!

Reality is he was offered $40 million over 2 years and something like a 1 year $15 million if he wanted a 1 year deal.

mikol13, roslolian, HP3 and 3 others like this.
  6. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

I see a lot of value in the Knight/Chriss package a.k.a
    [​IMG]

7. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

They offered him the 40M deal after he was hurt, and they pulled that offer. I don't know about the 15M one. In his position, seeking LT max $$, those both would equate to no real offer. No team was willing to commit long term max $$.

8. Nook

Nook Member

If you get Green and Temp added for Knight and a #1....... you should be happy.

The Rockets have a need for what Green brings to the table, and Temp is a potential rotation player as well.

The depth issue will have been somewhat addressed and the Rockets are likely to add another player through the buyout market.

9. tc0330

tc0330 Member

trade deadline is tomorrow, all im hearing is burks, temple, and j green. please dont talk to me about trying for butler. that $hit was months ago

10. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed.

Capela / Faried / Nene
    Tucker / J. Green
    Harden / G. Green / Ennis
    Gordon / Temple
    Paul / Rivers

With Clark, Harty, and Vince Edwards thrown in as well.

That's not a bad depth chart heading into the playoffs. They could use one more difference maker.

11. RCPM

RCPM Member

I had no idea, thanks.

BowlingBaller likes this.
  12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Add House, send Edwards to the G-League.

mikol13 and ramotadab like this.
  13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

They did not pull the $40 million offer. He declined it. Then they "pulled" it. Joel Myers says they actually had a meeting scheduled with him the day that he signed with the Warriors. At that time they had made an offer that was worth "more than twice" what he signed for in Golden State for one year. He took the meeting with the Pelicans and then signed with Golden State anyway and just cancelled the meeting.

Again, I don't blame him for going to Golden State, I blame him for the narrative.

J Sizzle, roslolian and HP3 like this.
  14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

And it cuts our payroll by 2.2 million!

mikol13, baller4life315 and ramotadab like this.
  15. thekad

thekad Member

Green has a -4 RPM (ranked 87th of 89 PFs) and a career 14 PER. Yeah, he’s a scrub.

I’d walk you through what a TPE is but my hunch is you’ll continue to move goalposts to protect your feelings about this organization being held back by Tillman’s concerns over paying the LT. Keep protecting his checkbook, buddy.

ramotadab likes this.
  16. HP3

HP3 Member

And hes wrong for that. 20 mil a year for for that horrendous injury for only 2 years......gimme a break, thats a good deal.

roslolian and justtxyank like this.
  17. HP3

HP3 Member

RPM is not end all be all and PER is not a good stat period. Using just those metrics to things to evaluate a player isnt useful.

kevtse, BigMaloe, foggy94 and 3 others like this.
  18. foggy94

foggy94 Member

He's a top 20 rebounder for his position (he grabs way more per36 than PJ) and is shooting 40% from 3. We are historically awful at defensive rebounding and are always searching for shooters. Are you saying you don't see any sort of fit there?

How am I moving goalposts? My point all along is that its gonna be hard for us to make a great trade because unless we're including Gordon/Capela our only mid-tier contract is Knight, and it would cost at least a 1st just to get rid of him, never mind getting a good role-player back in return. You have yet to offer any credible alternatives to how we can make such a trade without Knight other than guesswork. Please do 'walk me through' a TPE because you seemed to be suggesting we could do what the Thunder are trying to do and bring in Burks for nothing, even though they have a $10m TPE and we have a $2.5m TPE. Please walk me through how Miami can trade Ellington to us and get under the tax, which would require them taking not a single $ in money back. Please walk me through how you are so sure we can get Green for Nene and Chriss. Because you seem to be mad at Morey and Tilman for not making these impossible trades you have decided work in your head.

19. rockets13champs

Danuel House hinting to something

BigMaloe, Vivi and Deuce like this.
  20. BigBum

BigBum Member

According to reporter, Grizzlies will spend $22.9 million to buyout Knight.

Why?

With Parsons and Knight as their starters, they are as good as any tanking teams.