1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets emerge as threat Warrior (Grantland)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 18pbr, Oct 23, 2015.

1. 18pbr

18pbr Member

2. 18pbr

18pbr Member

I meant to type on the title thread Rockets emerge as Threat to Warriors according to Zach Lowe Predictions.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I like how he mentions that Morey has one more trick up his sleeve.

4. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm glad he likes the Rockets, but anybody who still thinks Harden is a liability on D is hard to take seriously. Also, I'm sure that Morey would love to make another trade, but seeing as how we are hard capped it makes it alot tougher, so assuming that he has 1 more to make is a tad off.

5. TheresTheDagger

Suddenly, we're the "sexy" pick to win the west.

Uh oh...

6. Dirty Deca

Dirty Deca Member

IB4 all the fake insiders try to predict Morey's last big move! :grin:

7. bmd

bmd Member

You never know what kind of magic Daryl Morey can pull off.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Yo bring great shame to this community. :mad:

Jk. Cool read

9. SKTTLZ

SKTTLZ Member

What a lot of writers never bring up anymore...

He'll make them remember this season!

10. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Grantland Zach Lowe Picking Rockets as Biggest Threat to the Warriors:

It’s time for an annual tradition: a bunch of random predictions about the upcoming NBA season. For this to be fun, we have to find the sweet spot between bat-crap crazy and probable. Let’s all be wrong together!

1. Houston Emerges As the Biggest Threat to Golden State in the West

There are six things to worry about with the Rockets:

1. They don’t have much good outside shooting, though Ty Lawson should generate some clean spot-up looks for James Harden.

2. It’s impossible to hide both Lawson and Harden on defense.

3. Harden spent time dating a Kardashian, Lawson is dealing with an alcohol problem, and Dwight Howard is Dwight Howard. Do you trust the personalities on this team in gut-check moments?

4. Howard’s farts could incapacitate the entire locker room before a big playoff game.

5. Several key players, including Howard and Donatas Motiejunas, are dealing with injury. If Motiejunas or Terrence Jones is ever out long term, Houston will either have to play more small ball or slot a rookie in at backup power forward.

6. Their defense, ranked sixth in points allowed per possession last season, may regress a hair — even if Howard plays more games. Opponents shot just 32 percent from deep against Houston last season, the lowest such mark in the league. The Rockets had a lot to do with all of those bricks, but that number will creep up.

2015-16 NBA Preview

Everything you need to know about the coming season.But you know what? I love this team. They are freaking loaded with relentless athletes who will never stop running, flying to the rim, launching 3s, and whipping the ball up the court in transition. They are exhausting to play against. They got Lawson for free! K.J. McDaniels may be ready for more time on the wing, Clint Capela is a player, and Harden is going to make a run at MVP again.
    And for all the anxiety about the shaky makeup, these guys held together during the same tense moments in which the Clippers quaked. Howard was great in the playoffs, and he has already led a team to the Finals. Why do we act as if he has accomplished nothing on the big stage?

This team should scare everyone, especially because Daryl Morey has one more trade to make. Count that as an extra prediction: Houston will make one win-now move.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/35...16-nba-season/

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Morey does something to help. Doubtful Morey can bring in the big fish, but opportunity to upgrade backup PG, backup wing, and backup PF exist. Hard cap just means Rockets are going to likely have to deal from draft picks/Eurostashes to get deal done.

12. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

I found #13 of the article interesting. Spurs and Griz disappoint. Spurs old (of course) LMA fit may not be so seamless. Griz lack firepower to win multiply series.

I Morey has plenty of tricks up his sleeve, he is the Jedi Master of GM's working the CBA.

13. thejav

thejav Member

If healthy...:(

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah, I wish you would have typed "Zach Lowe" to begin the title so it would match the other Zach Lowe thread.

I don't understand why people think Lowe blows wrt his take on the Rockets. It's pretty spot on and always fair. He's always been that way in past years, too. And he is one of the best at describing Harden's game.

15. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

He didn't provide any explanation as to why our defense would decline. I'm guessing he's thinking of Josh Smith's departure? Or maybe more minutes for Lawson?

17. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He did mention that we kept opponents to an unsustainably low 3P% last year, and that was bound to regress.

18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I think people are embarrassed when they pick Houston to do well. They cant just give us a straight prediction or compliment without throwing a title shade in there for the haha's.

19. i3artow i3aller

:grin:

Take that, Warriors fans!
    [​IMG]

20. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Agreed. Let's take a stab at why not:

2. It’s impossible to hide both Lawson and Harden on defense.

6. Their defense, ranked sixth in points allowed per possession last season, may regress a hair — even if Howard plays more games. Opponents shot just 32 percent from deep against Houston last season, the lowest such mark in the league. The Rockets had a lot to do with all of those bricks, but that number will creep up.

#1) Harden is no longer a - defender. He is a + defender. He is only going to improve because (A) he's made it a point to improve each year already as shown last year (B) He won't have to carry the load with fluke high levels of team injuries (C) With Lawson, his shots will be easier, and his offensive & playmaking load will be easier which will allow for more energy on the defensive side

#2)The Rise of Clint Capela far exceeds the defensive prowess of Joey Dorsey, or having Black out there. And Having TJ & eventually D-Mo back far exceeds forcing Ariza to play small ball 4 and have K-Pap getting minutes.

#3)Maybe Lowe hasn't seen Lawson play in Rockets red. I saw steal after steal. Lawson-Bev far exceeds having Bev paired with Prigioni, Jason Terry, and Nick Johnson play back up PG. Lawson will play better D this year simply because, just like Harden, his offensive & playmaking load is spread out amongst really good teammates now.

#4)An entire season of Corey Brewer, who provides solid D off the bench.

#5)D-Mo & T-Jo are young guys with upside and are only getting better and better.

#6)Sad that all the experts keep missing this but. RO-STER CON-TIN-UITY
    So much of defense is team defense: help D, switches, rotating, pick n roll defense. All of that gets tighter and tighter as a team gels and knows what everyone is doing.

#7) 82 games of Beverley instead of 56. And Beverley in the playoffs.

So instead of "regressing a hair", the NBA better be ready to see an already pretty good defensive team take their defense to a significantly improved level.