1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Dumb Management decisions?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by u851662, Jul 17, 2002.

Tags:
  1. u851662

u851662 Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    we have to do better than this. CD/Rudy T. I hope ya'll learned a lesson. Stop over paying dead beats. I also thought Cutino was payed less than this. According to this his value is exactly what they are paying him. All the talk about he is underpaid, according to these numbers I dont think so. He is neither underpaid or over paid in my opinion. However several of these other guys on the roster their salary's are unexplainable... We have got to do way better than this if we want to be long time contenders.

2. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

Well, I don't think that the managerial decisions has been bad. We have Cato and Rice earning pretty gawdy numbers, I agree.

However, starting centers are at a premium nowadays (look at all the sportswriters agreeing that Olokowandi deserves the max). While Cato hasn't done much for the Rockets yet, I thought last season was a good stepping stone towards the right direction for what Cato can do in the future. I'm more sure than ever that Cato can become a good backup for Yao Ming.

Glen Rice's contract was a bit more tricky. The Rockets had two choices, either pay the money to a two-guard that will seldom get playing time (I'm sure the Rockets made an under-the-table deal with Shandon) or pay it to a veteran who can help this ball club. Rice still stands to be able to help the club tremendously this coming season. As long as his shoulders and legs are healthy, I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be able to shoot at his previous clips. The offense definitely needs another weapon, and hopefully Rice will be able to supply it this year.

Otherwise, I don't see anything wrong with the contracts the managerial staff has given. How about instead of just looking at the Rockets' contracts info, check the others to see if there's one that is exceptionally clean?

3. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

DAY-AM! Check out Denver:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/salaries?team=den

Except for Marcus Camby, EVERY SINGLE CONTRACT they have expires in 2002 or 2003 (not counting options years)...and Camby's contract expires in 2004!

Can you say, "Lebron James sweepstakes"?

4. u851662

u851662 Contributing Member

You can justify it anyway you like. I understand your Cato position and I do agree. But there are others on that last IE:Mo Taylor, Rice... That I just cant get with. Rice situation is an "if" But not worth 9 million dollars worth of "IF's" but didnt we get him in return for Scottie? If thats the case then nevermind because I hate SNOTTY PIPPEN. all in all we still have to do better.

5. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

No, we got Rice in a sign and trade deal with the Knicks for Shandon Anderson.

6. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

S&T-ing for Glen Rice was a huge gamble, and presently, it looks like a bad one. However, Rice still has an opportunity to really make the Rockets team better. Given the choice of Rice at 9M and Shandon at 7M, I still take Rice. Mo Taylor showed a lot in the second half of the 2000 season. Signing him was less a gamble than a show of worth on the Rockets' part. The Rockets offense was built around Francis, Mobley, and Taylor. It really hurt last year that Mo Taylor got injured. Of course, you can argure that KT actually put up some really nice stats in Taylor's absence. However, I'll let the inaptness and the disorientation of the Rockets' offense speak for itself last season.

7. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

Denver is in a rebuilding mode and wanted the expiring contracts. Why did you think they traded away all their good players for expiring contracts? They not only wanted to lose but to have cap room to make a run at next year's free agents.

Sure they are in the "Lebron Sweeps" but so what. They will not be good for a long time. Unless of course Tuncan and Kidd decide it's a good place to play next year.

As for the Rice contract, I think there was something "done" under the table with S. Anderson and the Rockets tried their best to get him the "payday" they promised. That and they though Rice had something left in his tank. Hopefully it's not empty.

Cato was a mistake but they were thinking long term when they signed him. Hakeem was gone, they knew it. So they needed a replacement and with the salary of "centers" these days, I think the Rockets did OK for an average center.

Mo-Tayler, see S. Anderson.

This management team gets the free agents because it keeps it's promises. Or at least try to. They got a job for Matt Bullard.

Yes, they missed R. Lewis but at that time, SF was not a need.

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

Rice, Cato, Norris, Williams, and Taylor are grossly overpaid; Francis and Mobley, by NBA standards, are underpaid. Rice and Cato represent the worst Rocket's management decision in several years. I would like to see Rice made an asst. coach and Cato playing for another team.

9. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

Would you rather have had Shandon at 7+mill per year for the next 6 years?

Rice was a nice gamble and will be off the books the season after next. Shandon would have been a salary cap albatross for many more years.

Shandon took much less money to come here and the Rockets still rewarded him with the $$$. Well now Shandon is NY's problem for the next 6 years...;)

Cato was grossly overpaid at 1st but by todays standards for medium quality centers, Cato is just above that.

I still think it was a mistake to sign Cato for that long but it has worked out..

10. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

What Dennis said. Rice obviously hasn't done much, and eats up the cap, but so does Shandon. This is a move that made sense, and still makes sense, seeing how Shandon never really fit in with the team at all. Rice, might fit in with the team, it's a matter of him being healthy, a big if. Even if Rice doesn't pan out, at least his contract ends way before Shandon's. To put it in perspective, I don't think Knicks fans are thinking about how much they ripped us off. They probably wish they had Rice back, at least he can shoot.

11. dtaylo

dtaylo New Member

Backups don't make $6-$7 million.....Cato sucks! Glen Rice was injuried and we will see if he pays off this year. The difference between the two deals(Rice and Cato) is we signed Cato to his deal. We got Glen in a sign and trade, plus for the amount of money I would rather have Shandon here to play defense! No one for the Rockets plays defense but EG. The Rockets front office has made some bone head decisions. Mo T let's just wait and see I think he is only 24 or 25 and he is a much better low player than Cato.

#11 dtaylo, Jul 17, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2002
  12. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

Yeah you're right Cuttino is paid fair value considering that Ron Mercer and other frivolous 2 guards make more money:rolleyes: Suuurrreee!!!

13. rockets#1

rockets#1 Member

Sorry if I missed it somewhere above, but Matt Maloney has to be the worst contract yet. Right after that has to be Moochie Norris. I just can't justify giving a back up that kind of money.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Who thinks we'll be cursed, and Cato will have monster numbers on his extension year making us second guess how much we have to (over)pay him again?

15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the sad part is its true.

16. Agent94

Agent94 Member

I remember Sleepy Floyd doing this twice. The second time he just had one great playoff series, not even a good year.

17. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

How about cutting James Silas to keep Johnny Egan on the roster? Silas went on to have a great career with the Spurs and Egan, well..... he was later Head Coach ... for a brief time.