1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Draft Workout Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by D-rock, May 12, 2022.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Roddy is better than Lamb.

For one, Roddy averaged 43% from 3P.

And his stats per 36 minutes and advanced stats are comparable or better than top 3 pick Paolo Banchero.

https://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=paolo-banchero--david-roddy

2. RLP55

RLP55 Member

TBH, personally know little to nothing about Roddy. Watching his highlights reminded me of Lamb in his Vermont days. A bull in a China shop.

Corrosion and groovemachine like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Richie_Rich, BigMaloe, BigM and 6 others like this.
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/3323699/2022/05/20/houston-rockets-draft-combine/

• Members of the Rockets’ brass met with combine participants Thursday before making their way to Wintrust Arena to watch the first of the day’s scrimmages. Think of these team interviews as speed dating in a way. There isn’t a whole lot of time to get to know these players individually in the period allotted because of the players’ many commitments and the large pool of interviewees, but teams try to make the best of it.

Malaki Branham was one such player who made an impression. The 6-foot-5 wing out of Ohio State has been projected to go anywhere from just outside the lottery to the lower end of the first round. But it’s not his play style that impressed me, it was his demeanor. Branham is a pure scorer — he impressed in the NCAA Tournament and proved he can knock down perimeter shots consistently — but nothing about him screams cocky. He speaks with confidence, humility and honesty. “It was good,” Branham said of his interview with Houston. “Great energy, young players. We gonna get out and run. It’s gonna be fun if I get drafted there.”

The message Branham wanted to communicate is that his work ethic goes way beyond his scoring ability. Branham studied a lot of Caris LeVert tape, citing similarities with his movement and scoring.

• Houston also spoke with is Patrick Baldwin Jr., the 6-foot-9 forward who played one season at Milwaukee. The big question about Baldwin has been if he’ll stick around for the entire draft process. He seemed a bit uneasy when asked if he’d stay in the draft or returning to college. His season was more on the underwhelming side, as he shot a mere 26 percent from 3. But he has the size and skill set to at least be intriguing.

Baldwin said his conversation with the Rockets was great. “They had some really good questions, but overall, just getting to know me and me just getting to know them.”

In an attempt to get a glimpse into how these team interview sessions go, I asked Baldwin about what stood out to him with Houston. He said the Rockets asked him what basketball advice he would give to his hypothetical son. His answer: no matter how tall you think your kid is going to be, develop his game as a guard. Reason being, if you’re one of those individuals who is taller at a young age but caps out at around 6-foot-2 or 6-foot-3, you’re doing yourself a disservice without those guard skills. “You might be a 6-2 center, which limits your potential,” Baldwin said. “Always have those guard skills, passing skills, feel for the game, which makes the transition easier at the next level.”

• Kentucky’s TyTy Washington Jr. hasn’t talked to Houston yet, but he spoke to John Wall on Thursday. The former All-Star guard and fellow Wildcat has a good relationship with Washington. I’ve thought Washington is a potential Rockets target at No. 17, especially if there’s a sudden burning hole at backup point guard (assuming Dennis Schröder leaves).

Wall first spoke with Washington in October, before the NCAA season. After the Nov. 9 showdown with Duke, a 79-71 loss in which Washington scored just nine points on 3-for-14 shooting, Wall entered the locker room after the game and had an emergency sit-down with both Washington and coach John Calipari in his office. Washington described it as a “serious talk,” in which Wall stressed to Washington that he couldn’t have any performances like that if Kentucky wanted to go far.

Washington played more of an off-ball role this past season, saying Calipari wanted to feature him more as a scorer to help the team. One area in which he improved was his operation of pick-and-rolls. Washington said that earlier in the year, he wasn’t running his man into the screens properly, rendering them ineffective. Now, he’s comfortable making advanced reads, whether they are pocket passes, lift passes, or others. In regards to a prior ankle injury, Washington said he’s now 100 percent and feels the difference.

• LSU’s Tari Eason said his conversation with Houston was great, and the team is eager to get him in for a workout. Eason said he watches tape of two-way players like the Pelicans’ Herb Jones and Detroit’s Saddiq Bey, as well as veteran stars like Paul George and Kawhi Leonard. He leans a lot on his versatility and believes he is positionless. “One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine … wherever you put me, I’ll make something happen,” Eason said.

G League Ignite’s MarJon Beachamp also has a workout scheduled in Houston — his first one — sources told The Athletic. We’ll have more on him in the coming days. Be on the lookout for that.

6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

You omitted the best part of the article @J.R. !! I can only hope that Banchero can get his awful free throw shooting shored up! (LOL)

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

DEFENSE MATTERS

Finally!

9. RLP55

RLP55 Member

With Hornacek and Weaver leaving, wish they’d take Silas with them.

Give MA the gig and surround him with some solid but not overbearing assistants.

Little Bit and CVcrew like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Let's bring them all in Stone!

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Stone cannot be this obvious.

Cannot afford to telegraph his personal preference before all workouts completed.

Again.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

I'd like to see Stone work this kid out.

Future Viper.

saleem likes this.
  14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Uh oh. Here comes that optimism again. By late august you will be saying 49 wins !! : )

15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

do NOT want Branham or Baldwin!!!!

#55 Aruba77, May 22, 2022
    Last edited: May 22, 2022
  16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Would you trade JG for Mobley?

17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Fanbo Fanboys incoming....

D-rock likes this.
  18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Well I said 25 wins without Wall before last season. Maybe 30 wins if we get the PACE at break neck speed for easier buckets. We won 20.
    Team was obvious till tanking and pushing trade value of clutter over victories.

I had them trying to make play in tournament like the Cavs just did. You were right on them still tanking.

So if they let Jalen Green be MJ and Sengun, JC and Garuba contribute and improve and most importantly allowed to win (Silas expand the playbook).....yes 30 to 35 wins with pick #3 and
    #17 added to the equation.

Getting to 40-43 wins takes free agents or traded
    players coming our way. I'm hoping for a Portland trade for Bledsoe who has non guaranteed contract. Waive him and use the money for free agents. Chris Boucher and maybe more.

Me personally, I hope we pick Ivey at #3 and don't
    need to look at all those guards coming out next year in the top 8 after sticking out on Wembanana at #1.

We have our guards for the next 10 years....pick somewhere around #9 next year and get one of
    those nice SF/PF's....or Centers that shoot from 3.
    There is a center that is compared to Marcus Camby with a 3-pt shot around pick #10 coming out next year.

#58 ApacheWarrior, May 22, 2022
    Last edited: May 22, 2022
  19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

It’s harder to guess for me what they will do next year. I’d I had to “guess” though I bet what they want is to show improvement visually and tangibly with the young guys and also tangibly with wins to an extent. If they can engineer that but drop off at the end of the year with the wins and get a drop 10 pick again they likely will.

I do not think they will draft at 17 this draft. They will either move up or move the pick to next draft and move as high as they can in that one with 3 total picks.

In short they do not want the worst record again nor do I think they could make that happen even if they wanted.I don’t d think they probably want to make the play in either.

So you’re not feeling Paolo at all? I have kind of come around on him. I have wanted Jabari for several months. I would be happy with Chet and would hope for the best but am too scared. I also like Ivey but BobbyGreeeat said it would be an utter failure to draft him so I don’t know what to think.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I think he can be a future NBA player. If Tate can do it, RHJr can too.

D-rock likes this.