1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Draft Idea...

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by rpr52121, Mar 29, 2008.

1. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Here is a potential Draft Idea for the Rockets:

I know the season is not yet over but we should have a very low 1st round pick this year (25 or later), so I think we should trade it to Portland for their 33rd and 35th picks.

Rockets reasons:

A number of players that I know the fans are looking at (back up center's or SG/SF such as Rush, Lee, Roby, etc) may drop into these picks. This allows us to get potentially two of them, to cheaper contracts and see how they are playing during the summer, and not lose that much money if we have to cut one.

Or the other one we can trade for a future pick or get a foreign player to "watch develop."

We also currently have no 2nd round picks since the one we got from the Hornets is being sent to the Sonics.

Portland's reasons:

Portland may do this because they currently have 4 picks (1 1st & 3 2nd rounders) in this draft.

They will have 13 players under contract next year. Who knows if they resign McRoberts, but they did trade for Von Wafer, so they may keep him giving them 14 signed players.

Point is they would have too many players, and this trade allows to move a draft pick and get potentially better player who can contribute more to the team.

Just throwing it out there. Move this thread if it needs to be.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Portland has already said they will trade some of their picks. But I don't know if the Rockets would be interested because we don't need more young players to develop. We need to add veteran players (like a starting PG and backup C) who will be in the rotation next season from day 1.

3. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Portland might also draft someone and stash them overseas to develop. They did that with two of their 1st rounders last year.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

We don't have the roster room for that kind of deal. Especially with Harris resigning and Mutombo likely returning.

5. drc3906

drc3906 Member

We do own a 2008 2nd round draft pick from the Mike James, Bonzi Wells trade to NO. The deal was that we take the higher of the second round picks between our own and NO. Right now our 2nd round pick is higher, so we would just keep our pick. If we went ahead of NO in the standings then we would take NO pick because it would be higher.

6. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

I thought that the Rockets didn't have a Second Round Pick in the 2008 Draft.

Future Draft Picks

Houston Rockets
    Credits
    No picks owing
    Debits

2008 second round draft pick to New Orleans
    Houston will swap its own 2008 2nd round pick with New Orleans' own 2008 2nd round pick provided that Houston's pick is more favorable. If Houston's pick is less favorable, then each team will retain their respective picks. [Houston - New Orleans, 7/28/2006]

2008 second round draft pick to Seattle
    The less favorable of Houston's own 2008 2nd round pick or New Orelans' own 2008 2nd round pick via Houston to Seattle [Houston - Seattle, 6/28/2007]

2009 second round draft pick to San Antonio
    Houston's own 2009 2nd round pick to San Antonio. [Houston - San Antonio, 7/12/2007]

2010 second round draft pick to Minnesota
    Houston's own 2010 2nd round pick to Minnesota [Houston - Minnesota, 2/21/2008]

Yao, Deke (or another Center)
    Scola, Landry, Hayes
    Battier, Harris, Novak
    McGrady, Head
    Alston, Brooks, Francis or Jackson or another 1/2

Perhaps Portland or Seattle would be willing to sell an extra pick.
    Les would have to spend for it and that idea is open for discussion. Yes, the roster is getting full and probably at least one current player would need to be moved to make the logistics of acquiring an extra 2008 Draft Pick make sense.

What is Przybilla's future with Portland?

What is Frye's future with Portland?

#6 Mango, Mar 29, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2008
  7. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

we don't necessarily have to spend an extra draft pick on a player for the roster now. Frankly, I think it's a good idea to get as many second round picks as you can and scattershot those picks across Europe and see if you can get a few useful players out of it.

8. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

For the 1st round..i wonder if Chris Douglas-Roberts (if we go for a SG) or R. Lopez (if we go for a taller C/PF) would be available when we pick?

9. MONON

MONON Member

I think R. Lopez would be. However, they may take Nathan Jawai, Serge Iborka or Ante Tomic and let them develope overseas.

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I think management will pick a player who can contribute next season. Any player who can develop overseas is likely to be a 2nd rounder.

11. Painting_Shade

Painting_Shade Contributing Member

courtney lee ftw

12. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

If Douglas-Roberts and Brandon Rush both come out and are sitting there right where we pick we'd be crazy to not take either of those guys. Hibbert too.

13. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I agree that Courtney Lee is the player we need. However, I keep hearing he may fall into the second round, and thus the reason for my proposal.

14. acerockets

acerockets Member

how about Sasha Kaun from KU?

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

Buy the draft rights to Joel Freeland (6-11 PF/C) from Portland.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2ubqfaI07Ak&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2ubqfaI07Ak&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

16. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I'm all for that. Dirk-lite?

17. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Or we could just keep our first round pick (as we did last year) and buy a couple second round picks (as we did last year).

18. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

That would be my gameplan also. Take the BPA with our first rounder which would ideally be somebody NBA ready like CDR, Brandon Rush, Hibbert or somebody along those lines. Then buy a second rounder or two and take an overlooked guy like a JJ Hickson, Courtney Lee, Shan Foster or whatever.