1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets deal for Dillon Brooks (4 yrs/$86 million + incentives)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dr of Dunk, Jul 1, 2023.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

The difference is - if he shot terribly it would be a continuation of like 6 years, 350 games, 10k minutes in the NBA.

His shooting insanely well is instead a continuation of his ... 8 games in the World Cup. Please forgive those who have some reservations about this version of Dillon not being a great representative of him as a player.

Dillon actually got white hot like this over 5 NBA games before, in the 2021 playoffs. Which was great but don't look at his stats for the 22 & 23 playoffs lol

larsv8, OremLK and Easy like this.
  2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

He's taking less than 11 shots per game (vs 13.6 shots last season) in 4 more minutes per game than last season, which is the biggest key here. He's not forcing the ball anywhere near as much as he was doing with Memphis last season. When he is attacking closeouts, he is doing it more decisively and powerfully. It's really just fewer shots overall and slightly better quality shots for him.

The team has played unselfishly and it's clear our opponents were planning on sagging off Brooks to double team better scorers. Even though he won't stay this hot shooting the ball, it's going to create better spacing for the scorers.

3. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Forget his stats, his impact on winning has been phenomenal. He doesn't need to shoot that good as long as he plays with energy he's been playing with

4. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

That's a quick change of heart

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  5. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

yup, he's been amazing so far

AroundTheWorld and eliefor3 like this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Heart has nothing to do with it, he's played well, so I say he's played well. If he had played poorly, I'd be saying he has played poorly.

That's the same with any player

roslolian and Williamson like this.
  7. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

You did even give him chance by calling his signing disgusting before he played a game. Now you're judging him by his performance? How convenient buddy

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You do realize there's a difference between a prediction and an analysis right?

Based on what I had seen from Dillon Brooks previously, no, I didn't give him a chance, I thought it was a terrible signing.....and so did the rest of the league which is why no one else offered him a deal.

In the first 5 games though, he's been amazing.

What you expect can be one thing, but that doesn't mean you don't acknowledge it when what you actually get is different.

9. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

The only thing he wasn't good at was scoring. His defense has always been fantastic which is why he's here. So if he wasn't a efficient, but his defense was as is, you'd still be a dumb azz because he's already overachieving. His energy is NEEDED on this team

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, but he was REALLY bad on offense, and a lot of it was between his ears. He took dumb shots and couldn't make them.

Since he's been here, he's taking better shots and making basically everything.

I don't go on blind faith, so I needed to see him be a completely different kind of player to think it was going to happen....if you are big into blind faith, congratulations, it looks like it might have worked out this time.

roslolian likes this.
  11. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

This is sooooo true. A lot of back peddling and/or silence.

Not sure if he'll maintain this level of play but so far so good. All signs point to good outcomes for the Rockets.

12. MystikArkitect

Jaesean Tate, Dillon Brooks and Jabari Smith are all suddenly better at shooting in offenses not predicated around standing around and watching one dude clatter into set defenses or kick it out with 3 seconds left on the clock.

Weird.

Arnel, JW86, BaselineFade and 4 others like this.
  13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Are you trolling? Bobby is admitting that Dillon looks great right now. Would you rather him double down on his prior take? What are you arguing about?

Corrosion and roslolian like this.
  14. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I now think he's worth the contract if this is his actual impact and production for the rest of the season. Man has been great so far.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  15. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

BTG knows next to nothing about basketball. Bet the house on the opposite of what he thinks. He may be worse than DD and that's saying something.

16. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Give the man some credit. A lot of people would rather look stupid while claiming to be right than admit that they may be wrong. Bobby is owning up to Dillon playing well thus far. I'm sure if Brooks sustains anything remotely resembling this level of production, Bobby (and maybe even a few other of these guys) will acknowledge they were flat out wrong. And listen, we're only 6 games into the season (on a 4 year contract no less). It's a little early to be celebrating victory on either side of this argument.

I wasn't thrilled at the prospect of signing Brooks initially, but once I learned Udoka was pushing it I decided to step back that opinion - but was still disappointed in HOW MUCH we paid him. I believe somewhere around here I stated something along the lines of "I would love to sign him on a minimum contract". Right now it's looking like he's worth every penny. I don't expect him to finish the year with anywhere near his current shooting percentage, but he doesn't have to if he keeps playing within our system and looking like a defensive monster.

I love being wrong about things like these, and I like people who are willing to admit they were wrong rather than die on that hill looking stupid. I think that should be commended, not mocked.

Corrosion likes this.
  17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

The crow pushers are going to be in total shock once Dillon returns to his means lol

It's awesome he's playing and shooting this well to start the season, AND HOPEFULLY HE KEEPS IT UP GO ROCKETS, but trying to **** on posters who were disgusted with his contract as if they are haters for recognizing he's been one of the least efficient offensive players in NBA history ISN'T IT

Remember 75% of Clutchfans supported the WB for CP trade. I'm a die-hard Rockets fan who hasn't missed a game since I fell in love with the sport at 12 years old, but I still can't find it in me to be a complete team hack. Have yall no shame?

Corey Brewer really shot 62% TS on 16.7 ppg in over 9 games in April of 2014, that was cool and all.

Corrosion likes this.
  18. Rockets4Life13

Currently the player i enjoy watching the most. I just love players that give 100% every single second they’re on the floor.

19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

While that sentiment maybe true for a minority, I think most folks know his numbers are not sustainable.
    So no, not shocked.
    But I do think most dont feel he will regress all the way back to his career numbers prior to becoming a Rocket.
    Where in-between he lands will become his new expectation.

I think Ime, the system and the players now around him will transform him, some.
    At the end of the day, I think the majority opinion will be that he is overpaid, but not by the margin most thought right after he signed.