1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets deal for Dillon Brooks (4 yrs/$86 million + incentives)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dr of Dunk, Jul 1, 2023.

1. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

The other option was saying DB……4 years 86 million…..nah :eek:

2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

And keep crying about how terrible our defense is! At least we plugged one hole. Next up will be the shooting woes. Sigh maybe next year.

Ancient Moabite and sirjesse like this.
  3. maypk

maypk Member

The biggest overpay of this free agency alongside with J. Grant 160m/5y. It's straight up terrible signing, no need to sugarcoat it.

i3artow i3aller and robbie380 like this.
  4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I just woke up from a nap and I saw the contract tweet and thought I was hallucinating.

5. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

The other option is to not give a player a deal (salary or years) that no one else on the market would come close to giving him. That seems like a rational option.

Easy, a time to chill and maypk like this.
  6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I can understand that thought as I felt Houston was betting against themselves, but that is why agents get paid handsomely. If Udoka told Stone that Brooks was his guy and that he would help him win then the money is arbitrary. Its wild to see this place go from "Tilman is a cheapskate luxury tax saver" to "this team is incompetent and spent too much money" -- you dont see the irony?

7. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

Completely misses the point.

Salary we pay this year and next year has zero opportunity cost to us. We won’t have cap space and we won’t be in the tax. Paying Dillon Brooks $20M/yr the next 2 years or $40M/yr the next 2 years doesn’t really affect our team at all.

Salary in 24/25 and 25/26 matters a whole lot. It hurts our plan to have cap space in 24/25, and could potentially limit our re-signing our own young core to extensions.

It’s why we have FVV the max over 2 yrs instead of less per year over 3 or 4. It’s why we didn’t offer Lopez a third year.

Giving 4 years fully guaranteed to Brooks when we had the space and opportunity to more aggressively front-load the guaranteed money and keep our books cleaner in the out years… GM malpractice.

#987 carl_herrera, Jul 9, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2023
    slothy420, mikenm268, topfive and 2 others like this.
  8. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

Completely misses the point.

Salary we pay this year and next year has zero opportunity cost to us. We won’t have cap space and we won’t be in the tax. Paying Dillon Brooks $20M/yr the next 2 years or $40M/yr the next 2 years doesn’t really affect our team at all.

Salary in 24/25 and 25/26 matters a whole lot. It hurts our plan to have cap space in 24/25, and could potentially limit out re-signing our own young core to extensions.

It’s why we gave FVV the max over 2 yrs instead of less per year over 3 or 4. It’s why we didn’t offer Lopez a third year.

Giving 4 years fully guaranteed to Brooks when we had the space and opportunity to more aggressively front-load the guaranteed money and keep our books cleaner in the out years… just embarrassingly weak GM’ing.

9. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

The complaint is an unwise method of spending. We want him to spend $$ in a rational method. Proper asset management. That's the issue.

AXG likes this.
  10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

What are the odds anyone in the media asks Stone the reason why they gave 4 years to Brooks and didn't heavily front load the contract?

11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

ok

12. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Well, we don't know what the other options were because there was only one plan for this offseason. In something as complex and dynamic as the NBA, Stone limiting the team to one option is condemnable.

What you're hired for is to help us. Does that seem clear to you? To help us, not f*ck us up. To help men who are going out there to try to earn a living... You company man.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What are even the odds of 2 guys elevating the entire team of 8-10 guys (notwithstanding 3rd stringers)

OR

Brooks and FVV being relegated to the play of 21 year olds.

Both are possible.

Jeff is more of a lockerroom presence, Jock a situational presence.

14. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I read something that talked about Udoka designing his defenses around, stopping the primary option of the other teams offense. I think it’s a big overpay, but I’m guessing that the logic is that now for the next four years, we have one of if not the best perimeter defenders in the league. The opposing teams #1 option on about 25 teams is a perimeter player.

Y2JT likes this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

How did Stone fk up the team though LOL thats what I've been asking - is this team expected to win a championship in the next 3-4 years? Not with these players if you ask me, but THESE CONTRACTS can now be leveraged into attaining the type of player that can dictate that type of winning. This front office is 10 moves ahead of the casual fan anger. Now if only a couple of our top picks pan out and we're cooking with gas! There have only been 22 all stars in history to have been drafted in the 2nd round - those picks are not as valuable as some guys are posturing and are readily available to buy outright. I will agree that 2nd rounders fluff up deals enough to make them palatable, but its not the end of the world.

16. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

If your young guys are as advertized, then yes, in 3-4 years they should be on the brink of title contention. Harden was 25 when the Rockets made the WCF back in 2015, and Morey picked up Dwight Howard the year prior.

2nds are still useful, you don't get much change in the NBA, better to pay with two quarters than a Dollar if you don't get change made.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

80 mill vs 160 mill is a big ass difference.

Yes DB is overpaid but it doesn't deserve this historic meltdown. He'll be good.

cbass likes this.
  18. a time to chill

The local media fanboys are searching for a way to spin this.

I did see something that said that the sign and trade did allow the Rockets to keep their room MLE, so I wonder how they end up using it…if they decide to use it.

19. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Great take. Overall if you look at our young roster talent, Stone's done a phenomenal job in 3 years. We have a great young nucleus & just signed a great floor general in FV. Whining about meaningless 2nd round picks is Stone haters nitpicking because they don't want to give him any credit. They can't admit they didn't expect us to be in this position this quickly. What do they do? Throw b**** fits about losing TyTy & Garuba lol.

Verbal Christ, roslolian and cbass like this.
  20. MystikArkitect

Has Jerami Grant ever been All NBA anything