1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets deal for Dillon Brooks (4 yrs/$86 million + incentives)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dr of Dunk, Jul 1, 2023.

1. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

We are concerned about the cap and spending $$ wisely. We want TF to spend as much as possible, in a smart manner that can help the team as much as possible.

csnerd84 and Marsarinian like this.
  2. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

I would certainly speculate we make the playoffs Stone is safe. If not, being an NBA GM is going to be hecka cool on that law firm resume.

One thing is clear. He has tied his career to and is riding with 1 to 5 DB. Stone has way more invested in him than Timman’s money and Houston’s cap space.

upload_2023-7-9_9-22-19.gif

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  3. a time to chill

If you don’t see what’s wrong with giving up 5 2nd round picks along with 4 recent draft picks for Brooks on an overpaid contract then I don’t know what to tell you.

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

When Brooks is locking up the teams best player next year dont forget to boo! LOL

sirjesse likes this.
  5. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

I was joking when I said they traded away everyone to pay Brooks even more money than was given already, but the reality is even worse than the joke.

6. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

Here is the truly incomprehensible part about this:

We should and could have given Dillon Brooks MORE money (for 2 years).

After following through with the S&T, if we stuck with the original plan of signing Jeff Green into the RMLE, we had so much space we didn't even need to match salaries to bring in Dillon Brooks -- we could have paid him up to $25.0M in first year salary just with cap space.

Why not offer him 2 years with a half guaranteed 3rd year so it's either $65M/2 or $77M/3 at our discretion? That’s an obviously better deal for him and for us.

4 years fully guaranteed is truly insane. All of this stinks of Stone lacking backbone and trying to cover up his own blunders this summer because he wants to save his job rather than do what's best for the organization going forward.

#966 carl_herrera, Jul 9, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2023
    Spacemoth likes this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When Brooks is locking up the Rockets offense I think there will be plenty of booing.

zeeshan2 and mightybosstone like this.
  8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

If Brooks is All Defense and in the DPOY conversation this will be worth it. If Udoka cant control him on offense thats on Udoka.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I mean, only if his offense isn't so bad it negates that...

Also, I think we're drastically overrating his defense, he's good, but he's not DPOY consideration good.....

The issue with Udoka trying to control him on offense is that he's already established that he'll be a locker room problem if he's not featured on offense AND the Rockets are stuck with him for 4 years no matter what....he kind of has all the leverage here.

Last season 13 shots per game wasn't enough for him to feel like he was featured enough and even that was absolutely detrimental to the team.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Folks are overthinking, he is just there to help win 40 games, nothing more and nothing less.

There could be shooting droughts, injuries, scuffles that could work against that goal ......or flatout hot shooting and great chemistry.

sirjesse likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dude, fans of other teams do that more often.

It is sports talk lol...... players are tied to that money they earn.

It is not like they really ~care about that money as if they could get their mitts on millions.

If someone is overpaid, people will talk about it, get over it.

12. jayfree

jayfree Member

You think Brooks is that bad to where you don't think having him for an extra 2 years for $15 mil or 1 year for $3M (basing on original 4/$80mil figure) would be worth it?

Compared to your numbers, the Rockets got him for an extra year for almost free.

13. sirjesse

Supporting Member

I am glad to hear DB say this. While the contract is comical, 1 to 5 DB has said absolutely nothing but the right things. Him and FVV are going to do so much for this team on and off the court. I truly think he will be great for this team in many ways.

in the end this contract is not DB’s fault. He done what he and the people hired to represent him are supposed to do: get the best deal possible for him and his people and family.

The angst with this situation revolves around how he was brought here. I get the Bowen signing created immense pressure on the front office to get the deal done with DB. No matter how you slice it, four years 86 million is an overpay. Then again, so is Milwaukee at two years 48 million for Crook Lopez. Unique situations create unique value for individuals just as they do for organizations.

Stone can have the last laugh if we make the play-in or higher. If this team struggles to 25 or 30 wins though you got to reevaluate. Here is to the Rockets continuing to improve and return to relevancy sooner rather than later.

Actual photo of DB when his agent told him of the contract:

upload_2023-7-9_9-56-27.gif

14. jayfree

jayfree Member

Definitely don't want Ja. Nevermind the antics, I don't like his game. Dude could score 40ppg and it rubs me the wrong way

15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

He's a legit defensive player. Questioning his offense is fine, but there is no denying his defense. He will cover the other teams best player and that alone will help this team since nobody on the roster wanted to play defense at all let alone guard the best player. I dont like the money, but hey remember everyone said we needed to reach the salary floor - well here we are!

sirjesse likes this.
  16. OkayAyeReloaded

Big fan of this interview, if he comes through on his word and we get the team results I'll be happy with the signing. Thanks for sharing this

Y2JT and J.R. like this.
  17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Bottom line was that Houston was in no position to ask for discounts or even quality contracts. We just arent a destination for free agents yet. I dont like that Houston was basically bidding against themselves if you believe that there was no interest in the player, but if Brooks can shine on defense and keep the antics to a minimum he will become a fan fave soon. Everyone hates the bad guys until they are fighting for you! I hated Ron Artest with a passion before he became a Rocket and then I loved him!

All of our expectations should be play-in or bust and the failure wouldnt completely fall on Stone. These are the guys Udoka said he wanted to go to battle with. If these guys shine and the team blows away all expectations then Udoka could also find a GM position waiting for him in the future.

sirjesse likes this.
  18. NewAge

NewAge Member

Hold on. I though this year was the offseason with the Cap Space. That's who we got, fact that we have to pay more does not affect us this year, since there is nobody left on the market. Future years, we are probably over the cap with the FVV money, KPJ, the 2021 picks extensions, etc... Isn't that the case? Was there really a plan to have cap space in future years?

If you're operating as an "over-the-cap" team, you may need a bit bigger salaries for matching purposes in trades, actually..

withmustard likes this.
  19. sirjesse

Supporting Member

Salary floor? His contract gave us a ceiling :eek:

20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

What were the other options though? I dont remember which other member mentioned to me in another conversation that both of these deals together didnt destroy our cap, but why are we worried about the cap now anyway? If a bigger trade presents itself during the year we now have the necessary contracts/players to match up.

edit: Also to keep in mind that the cap is about to go WAY up -- 20Ms will be standard pay for above average starters in the NBA.

sirjesse likes this.