1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets deal for Dillon Brooks (4 yrs/$86 million + incentives)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dr of Dunk, Jul 1, 2023.

1. keeez

keeez Member

I just cannot wrap my head around this signing, let alone 4yr/80m. People keep randomly throwing words like "veteran leadership" out there. Someone please explain just exactly what veteran traits is he bestowing on our team?

Dude's last team wanted nothing to do with him after numerous off court antics, everyone questioning his maturity, and our front office thinks it's a good idea to bring him on a team full of impressionable young talent. Just swooped right in for the rescue with a long term deal. No need to be cautious, 4 years off the rip.

His defense cannot possibly be that good to justify this. People forget to mention that he had the DPOY in Jaren Jackson behind him cleaning up his mistakes all year too.

Absolute trash signing and we gave away KMJ for peanuts to add insult to injury. Front office had us fooled man.

slothy420, joshuaao, Beezy and 8 others like this.
  2. Fantasma Negro

I like this addition. I think a lot of people that don't like this deal are forgetting who the rockets' coach is. If you get Brooks under control, cut out the antics and the horrendous shot selection, you can see this dude is a prototypical 3&d wing, with an emphasis on the d. I don't care how much they paid him, they had to pay that because the rockets suck and they have to overpay players to come here, thank you Silas. Brooks would've taken the mid level exception to go to Denver, LA, Boston or Miami. He'll be a good vet for Cam and his defensive intensity will be infectious. I like what I'm seeing in the moves this new brain trust are making

Manny Ramirez and Jayzers_100 like this.
  3. Fantasma Negro

They should've traded Tate and kept Martin

4. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Ya, there’s a guy Jokic would just love. None of those teams would touch this guy

5. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Brooks never listened to a coach in his NBA career, now that he has the bag, why should he start now?

Did Josh Smith give two ***** as to what Stan Van Gundy, another coach who got his team to the finals (beating LeBron on the way!) had to say?

How about Melo and D'Antoni, twice??

Brooks is going to run rampant on the court until he either gets cut and Tillman pays his salary until 2033 or Stone packages his contract with a FRP or two to move it.

ashleyem likes this.
  6. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

How much would you pay to buy him out today? I would pay a lot….

slothy420 and Tuckmose like this.
  7. CXbby

CXbby Member

I’m coming around to this signing. Dillon Brooks is second team all defense, the issue is with his offense, terribly inefficient on high volume. The Rockets can’t be oblivious to this. I think this is what we are missing. As a rookie Brooks shot 9 times a game in 29 minutes under Fizdale and Bickerstaff. After Taylor Jenkins took over Brooks started shooting 15 shots a game for the last four years. This is clearly a “head honcho”, role type situation. Brooks is actually not a terrible open 3 shooter and makes 41% from the corners for his career, he just takes too many bad shots. There is no way in hell Udoka is letting him get away with that or letting him continue it in Udoka’s offense.

If he’s still shooting 15 times a game next year then i agree that this is not only an overpay but just a bad fit of a signing. But I think if udoka can have brooks shooting <10 times a game, just open 3s, and continue playing second team all defense level, this can actually be a sneaky steal of a signing.

ElPigto and AlperenSengun like this.
  8. CXbby

CXbby Member

I’m more optimistic but yeah I think this is exactly what happened. My counterpoint would be, don’t you think we would have communicated to him what we want BEFORE giving him the money, and presumably he would have to be onboard with it if he wants the money?

9. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Obviously he’s gonna play the good soldier and tell them what they want to hear to get this deal….anybody would

Tuckmose likes this.
  10. CXbby

CXbby Member

So that he can get the money and then benched by the coach? Why? What makes you think he won’t just…listen to the coach? Clearly Jenkins had no problem with the way Brooks played and gave him all the minutes he wanted while he jacked away. Are you saying that Brooks just lied to Udoka’s face to steal this money from the Rockets and will do whatever he wants, and then Udoka is going to be too much of a b**** to sit him? I just don’t see it

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

but if we didn’t offer him this deal, who else was offering him anything? i don’t see any other team guaranteeing anything more than 3/36 for this clown smh

slothy420 likes this.
  12. CXbby

CXbby Member

Like you guys all complain about the way kpj plays, but how can you blame him, he was encouraged the whole way by his coach to play this way and crowned the head honcho, why would he change? Same deal with Brooks and his time in Memphis. You think the same guy that’s about to bench kpj is going to take the same sht from Brooks?

13. CXbby

CXbby Member

Apparently Dallas was hot on his ass and Brooks is a big Kyrie fan. I know they only have the 13m mle but not sure if they would have tried to open up more cap for Brooks. I guess it took and extra 7m a year to get him to come here(vs playing with his boy Kyrie and Luka) that’s how low our reputation has fallen.

Like we have established that both of these FA signings have been overpays, that’s what it takes to get people who have options to come to the worst team in the nba. Question is are these even good players, that’s what my question was with Brooks, and my suspicion of his different role here.

pippendagimp likes this.
  14. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Who the hell cares if he gets benched or plays? His contract is the same. Why would that matter? He was on a very good team with one of the brightest young stars in the league and did the crap he did, he is what he is. Not like he’s 20, he’s 27

Tuckmose likes this.
  15. CXbby

CXbby Member

What “crap” is that?

16. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

His offensive “game”. A complete zero as a passer, and shoots a ton despite being awful. He managed to be arguably the worst offensive player in the nba despite Ja getting all the attention. I will say RAPTOR rates his offense much better then I expected, 225/250 but I don’t buy it

Tuckmose likes this.
  17. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Yes.

That is to be determined.

18. CXbby

CXbby Member

So you think jenkins had a problem with his offensive “game” and just let him play 30 mpg every year anyways? Why didn’t he get benched?

Or that you think Udoka will be dumb enough to continue that?

19. CXbby

CXbby Member

Why do you think a professional basketball player would openly defy his coach to get himself benched and ruin his career? Have any of you ever even played a sport?

20. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Obviously i hope he never sees the court so yes i hope udoka is smart enough to bench him. Idk why jenkins didn’t, terrible players play lots of minutes, it happens. He’s not the first, won’t be the last.