1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets could return to their "classic" jerseys/logo in the near future...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by alcatrazpsycho, Jun 28, 2010.

1. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

All those teams were in identity-crisis mode when the changed, except for the Rockets... Rockets got greedy and decided that they would be 'Earth's Team'... When they showed up in Japan preseason with those stinkin' 'shark-rocket' uniforms, I almost put my foot through my TV screen.

Anyway, as far as those other teams' logos went:

* Pistons needed something to go with their teal unis... At least they had G. Hill in his prime.
    * Bucks logos will always be blah... Only a Siberian team could empathize. They should 'B' to an 'F', see how that goes over!
    * 76ers transitional wasn't half-bad... At least they made the Finals.
    * For Beer-guzzling Mormons?... That Jazz/Shasta logo is sick... -ening...
    * The Warriors cast as Intergalactic Homos?... An earthquake is more welcome.
    * Cavs have no identity save for the Jordan shot over Ehlo... Their new Logo should just be of Lebron's mug (and a slash through it if he splits).

* Rockets definitely need to go retro-Classic... red and gold all the way.

2. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

3. Games6&7in94

Games6&7in94 Member

What? Why change the ugliest uni's in the league? Some on here will tell you they actually like the drek we have now.

If Les approved the pajamas and then followed that up with the chinese food takeout boxes, I wouldn't get my hopes up that he'll see the light.

Face it, we are stuck in ugly for now. At least they were better looking alternates a few times a month....

4. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

I really hope the Rockets switch back to the classic unis. Ketchup and Mustard will be back!

5. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

MISLEADING thread title. Though great presentation.

I noticed the trend of new jerseys/logos reverting to old. Its kinda like that in the NFL too (49ers and Chargers of recent). Even NBA arena floor designs try to have a more "classic" look to them. Like the Rockets did recently.

Oddly, Rockets current logo might have been ahead of the curve in looking simple, classic and no frills.

All the Rockets have to do is make the current secondary uni the main uni. And add a better logo with the colors and they're fine

[​IMG]

6. tigereye

tigereye Member

A. NOT True - Not every team uses same material. Some teams use Dazzle thread (Rockets, Nugz, Heat etc.) while others use DryFit (Lakers, Mavs etc.)

B. No

7. ths balla

ths balla Member

I always love to see when you post and always appreciate the info, do you work for the league?

8. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

nice idea, fix the misleading thread title in the future please

9. RedOctober67

RedOctober67 Member

[​IMG]

This Jersey Looks like a Mcdonalds Jersey

[​IMG]

10. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

The use of red and yellow together has to be done delicately. The only yellow on the classic unis was on the trim and on the basketball logo.

11. Games6&7in94

Games6&7in94 Member

A) Better to look like McDonald's than a Dracula outfit.

B) Every single color combination in the world resembles something that we could point out. Did you think the Rocket's uni's in the 90's looked like McDonalds? Red and Yellow looks like the Rockets to me.

12. tigereye

tigereye Member

Thank you for the kind comments.

And FTR, the is answer NO.

13. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

I'd love to see it but there is no way. That land is prohibitively expensive, and the neighborhood would block that development to kingdom come. The China Basin Mission Bay UCSF development would not be able to hold an arena - traffic, parking, environmental impact etc. Nice idea though.

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<!-- LIFE IMAGE 2073739 --><script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.life.com/embed/index/js"></script><script type="text/javascript">LIFEembedDrawImage2('2073739','0');</script>

15. tigereye

tigereye Member

A.) Dracula?!? ...its funny you bring this up, seeing as the current Rockets identity package and uniforms were desined by Eiko Ishioka, whom won an Academy Award for costume design in Bram Stoker's ......wait for it ......DRACULA.

B. Red & Yellow could also look like......
    [​IMG]

16. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Not really. McDonald's is one of the most recognized brands in the world. The red/yellow is less common and thus, is more strongly associated with McDonald's than red/white is to Coca-Cola or blue/white is to IBM, General Electric, or Nokia (some of the other most recognized brands in the world).

The 90's unis had very little yellow. Far less than our current alternates do.

The old unis don't invoke McDonald's the same way the Kansas City Chiefs or old Atlanta Hawks (some of which were closer to McD's than ours) don't. The reason is because there was a lot of white mixed in and the yellow was only used as an accent. The new alternates draw more of a comparison to McDonald's because the yellow is featured more prominently.

17. Games6&7in94

Games6&7in94 Member

Unreal. I literally had no idea of the connection, but your info raises the question: WHY IN THE HELL WOULD AN NBA TEAM HIRE A MOVIE COSTUME DESIGNER TO COME UP WITH THE LOGO AND UNIFORM LAYOUT????

It always puzzled me how the these current Rockets uni's had something different about them than every other team's. Sure they are very ugly, but what about them made them stand out from all the rest? Now I know. They weren't designed by someone who knows sports branding and marketing, but a Hollywood costume aficionado instead!

What in the world was Les thinking here???? How hard is it to hire a sports branding professional to design a frigging uni scheme and logo?? You know you've done a bad job when someone on a fan message board comes up with a uniform/logo scheme 100X more attractive and appealing than the one churned out by someone you paid a ton of money too.

18. tigereye

tigereye Member

Other teams were hiring fashion designers to design their uniforms at the time. A good example would be the Orlando Magic "T-Mac" era uniforms, which were designed by fashion designer Jhane Barnes.

[​IMG]

Some say those were the best uni's the Magic ever sported ...especially with that unique subliminal "Star" pattern woven into the uniform's material.

19. robroy77

robroy77 Contributing Member

The reason I ask is because numerous posters have said that all the nba teams were going to the same material used on the all star uniforms last season.

20. Games6&7in94

Games6&7in94 Member

Lucky for the Magic, they put them out to pasture and adopted a more "sports" looking design and layout. Why haven't the Rockets? The Chinese connection?

No matter what their reasoning was at the time, that's 0-2 in uni's now for Les. Why are we sticking with this batch of crud longer than most? Seems like the answer is Yao, to just about every question. It's sad.