1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets continue to miss the boat on F.A. deals...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets-R-Us, Jul 2, 2007.

1. abundance

abundance Member

Actually, they might bring back Jacque Vaughn. He is FA also.

2. blender

blender Member

If Bonzi had chosen to opt out, I wonder if the Rockets would have gone after Morris Peterson or even Kapono?

As it stands however, they have Wells, McGrady and Battier eating up the majority of the minutes at the 2 and 3, with a "Plan B" of Snyder and Head. Is this enough? Since I have yet to see the "new and improved" Bonzi Wells, I don't know.

3. B.I.G

B.I.G Member

Yes I know just what I wanted was another 2. Because really if you think about it Tmac, Bonzi, Luther, and Snyder cannot cut it. :rolleyes:

4. Rockets-R-Us

Rockets-R-Us Contributing Member

Clutch -

First on the EdC comparison - I truly do not want to be that guy, and if I've come across as that irrational (instead of just emotional) then I offer apologies to all.

And I promise to you and others on CC.net that I will ease up. By explantion, I can only say that another 7th game loss (this time on our home court), followed by what I honestly believe to be poor decision making before and during the draft I think will come back to haunt us... as a truly avid Rockets fan, it's been a bit much for me, so I've been venting on CC.net. (I though doing so was fairly inoccuous, perhaps I was wrong).

I have always done my best to avoid character assassination, so while I have been hard on Morey's choices, I've never made personal assessments about him as a person, and with the exception of those who chose to attack me rather than my opinions, I tend to only offer thoughts, feelings and opinions about Rockets moves (granted, I do have a certain level of vitriol when I'm not happy).

I'd like to be clear that I'm not venting at anyone in particular, but I have been hard on Morey 'cause I don't like his philosophy, nor did I appreciate his dishonesty re: JVG's departure (though I'm no JVG fan either), and finally, I thought replacing CD with Morey instead of Dennis Lindsey was beyond idiocy for "RocketBall" Inc.

The players I mentioned are NOT 2's but 3's and we simply do not have enough players capable of creating their own shot. And, though I shouldn't have to remind anyone here, we've only had several thousand trade suggestions regarding Shane and most of our guards. The only untouchables have been TMAC and Yao, so suggesting we pick up other more skilled offensive players is something I didn't expect to be flamed fo.

Perhaps Mo Pete is not what he once was, but he'd be a good fit on this team, certainly better than the young swing man everyone wanted to trade for JL3 before the draft. (Hasn't he been released BTW).

And though I must have failed to express it adequately, my point was only to point out that one day into Free Agency, those were three players who could/would help the ROX (IMHO). I'd also like to point out that several other players have either reached agreements in principle or expressed serious interest in specific locations (Grant Hill and Phoenix, etc.). So, yes, its only day 2 of the Free Agency period, but the Rox are doing the one thing that drives me crazy; nothing!!!

For the guy who said the Jazz have nobody beside Dee Brown you must have forgotten about CJ Miles. Curious to see if he stays or goes with the Jazz.

Also by way of explanation, much of my anger has resulted from watching the Jazz get probably the 2nd best SF Shooter available in the draft last week (Morris Almond - NBA Ready Body, can finish with either hand, modest defense, but lights out shooter from the perimeter). Now the Jazz IS negotiating with Mo Pete. Those who think they're going to get worse in that division, are you kidding me?

And finally for those shooting down Mo Pete as an option, he was mentioned frequently a few weeks before the draft as one of several options had we not held onto Bonzi. I get those who disagree, but I'm open to discussion, not having flame wars.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

This thread was poorly thought out. Our only FA focus needs to be on big men. We may not even sign anyone, until we've made a trade because right now it seems like we have too many players for a 15 man roster assuming Hayes and Deke come back and Landry makes the team. We will have 17 players under contract

Alston Brooks
    McGrady VSpan
    Battier Snyder
    Hayes Novak
    Yao Lucas III

James Reed
    Head Sura
    Wells
    Landry
    Mutombo

6. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

my apologies, perhaps you aren't familiar with my body of work....
    [​IMG]

7. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

My brain just exploded after reading the past few pages, what happened here again?

8. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

RRU, I understand your frustration. I disagreed with the draft choices at first, too. But I don't think Phoenix was all that anxious to be dealing 1st round draft picks to the rockets. It's like Indiana fans complaining about their front office for not getting the Tmac trade done when Orlando just choose us probably to get Tmac out of the conference. Phoenix made a choice and it was out of our hands. Still, I think not taking Splitter may just bite us in a year.

I know you want a third option or at least a sixth man, but Mo Pete is neither. Everyone knows there's a trade brewing with all these guards so you can't really judge the roster until training camp. Getting an extra swingman is not a priority until we get frontcourt help. Besides, Brooks and Landry might just surprise us and what would you say then? This is Morey's first year. You can't bash his track record when there isn't one to speak of yet. Don't tell me you didn't like the Juwan/MJ trade already.

9. Bob

Bob Member

Personally I like what Morey says - build for the future, take the best talent available in the draft regardless of need. But so far I don't see his actions matching his words. Now I could be wrong maybe Brooks, Landry and Newley will become servicable players. I actually didn't have any of them being drafted. But that is a matter of opinion so we won't really know who is right for a couple years and I can't really say Morey has made a mistake in selecting those guys yet. But I do question why take Brooks at 26 when he would have been available at 31 or possibly at 54. It shows a recurring trend in the Rocket's organization to overvalue players, panic, and not maximizing return of value in the decisions they make. For example signing Mo Taylor for $8 mil/yr when his value was closer to 4-5.

So not signing Kapono, Walton, Mo Pete, etc for too much money is a good thing.

Who would I be okay with Morey acquiring? This offseason free agent market is thin. At power forward there is no one individual that appears to be a perfect match. Moore - not a good rebounder and too old, Webber - too old and underperforming, McDyess - too old, Milicic - no offense, defense, rebounding, PJ Brown - really old. I would rather take a chance on some young talent like Amir Johnson or Andray Blatche.

As far as a third offensive threat RRU is right. But there isn't anyone left that fits what the Rockets are looking for. The ideal fit they traded away last year for Battier. Those types of players are difficult to acquire and should never give them up for role players. But that was CDs fault not Moreys.

10. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

But Morey should be very quick and aggressive in acquiring our FA or trade targets...We're all tired of wait and see tactics that would make us left out empty again..

11. AMD

AMD Member

Yeah, I'm from Indiana. If they thought that was something to complain about they're crazy. Now the situation of the Pacers now is really somethin to complain about.

This might have been said already; but either way, this is the smartest thing sound referring to our draft picks.

12. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Morey stated many times that they believed he would be gone by then. I'm not sure why you think your information is better than the guys who have been working 18 hour days for the last 2 months on it.

13. Bob

Bob Member

You and Morey may be right but only Detroit, SA, Phoenix, and Philly would know for sure. As far as mock drafts before draft day I don't recall seeing Brooks as a first round pick anywhere.
    NBAdraft.net 33
    Tony Mejia 2nd round or later
    Gary Parrish 2nd round or later
    TSX 2nd round or later
    Chad Ford 45
    I am apparently not alone in thinking he would probably be available at 31.

We ended up with Brooks and Landry. Ideally we could have ended up with Splitter and Brooks. Let's say Brooks was taken 27-30 then Affalo, Tucker, or Koponen would have been available at the worst.

14. hooroo

hooroo Member

Spurs re-signed him.

15. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

chad ford is a moron

16. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Landry was their highest rated Power Forward on the Chart when Brooks was being picked. But they felt that Brooks was the most talented player there at the time. Apparently they took Brooks hoping they could have had both. And then they made the trade.

If Phoenix chooses someone else, then maybe the trade for the 31st pick in the draft doesn't happen.

Remember that a lot of these trades happen contingent upon a player the original drafting team wants is available. If that player is gone, then the trade become the plan "B" and the highest bidder gets the pick if that is an option.

My guess is that selecting Brooks opened the door to making the trade for the 31'st pick. And the 31'st pick was the # 1 pick in the 2nd round. That was some good value for the Rockets. Plus it isn't a guaranteed contract.

17. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

I would like to see morey go after MoPete at the right price.

I dont know how bonzi is doing and i dont really like head or snyder

18. dreammvp

dreammvp Contributing Member

damn what will the rockets do now that Kopono is off the market and dont' get me started on losing out on luke walton...we might as well put Toronto vs. Lakers in the NBA finals... :confused: