1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets continue to miss the boat on F.A. deals...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets-R-Us, Jul 2, 2007.

1. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Wait, am I on the ESPN boards or something? I swear the URL in my browser says ClutchFans...

2. roooshi

roooshi Member

lol thanks.

the jumbo guy is obviously some preteen living in sugarland trying to pretend to be a e-thug.

and i dont know if anyone in their ****ing minds would think kevin willis represents the houston rockets.

If you were proud of ANYONE sleeping with your "wife", go offer her to Vspan. Maybe be can get more action from her then from the rockets coaching staff.

but then we all know your 12 years old. With a fake wife. and etc etc.

Kevin willis slept with your wife? Pics? Proof?

Got none? then STFU and GTFO

3. Jumbo Mutombo

Jumbo Mutombo Member

i am the real deal.

obviously i cannot post pics on this family forum. give me your email address and i will supply photographic evidence of my dedication to this team. my wife also bore two of willis' children and is currently seeing dikembo mutombo and yao ming on the side.

4. DreamRoxCoogFan

wow... this is interesting. Clutch, i think you should rename rooshi from 'rookie' to 'post count padder'

as for the actual thread, i dont think that Utah is contending for #2 seed, man. i cant honestly believe that.

5. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

RRUs --

Not sure why you think Mo Pete is all that great. At this point, he's an extremely average swingman on the downside of his career. He doesn't shoot 45%. The best season he's ever had is 43.6% FG. Last year he shot 36% from the 3PT, which is ok, but nothing special.

Career stats: 1.0 STL (average), 3.8 REB (ok for a guard, poor for a forward), A/TO = 1.5 (ok for a shooting guard, but not particularly good).

I admit I haven't seen him play much, but his stats sure don't scream dribble penetration. The whole board knows we need more speed in the offense -- but everyone you listed is either slow or old.

6. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

I don't know what the most praiseworthy thing in this thread is, but I'm torn between a rare appearance by The Cat and the last thing that Jumbo Mutombo said.

7. roooshi

roooshi Member

why would i care about post count on a fan thread?
    does more posts mean a bigger e-peen?

anyways i think that if the jazz got rid of okur's contract and used that money somewhere else, they would be a contender for the 2 spot.

but at the same time i dont see the jazz being that great in a few years when Dwill's rookie contract expires and hes ready for the big bucks. and i dont see anyone really taking on AK47's contract, max/close to max deal for boozer?, and then there is the overpaid okur. Harping and giricek? Soon it will be no monies.

8. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I was thinking the same thing. Jumbo Mutombo and roooshi are gone.

Rockets-R-Us - your initial post to start this thread made little sense. Is Mo Pete better than Landry/Brooks? WTF?

I always defend the fans' right to complain, but I swear, some people just look for reasons to b****. You come off like someone who wants to stake an early claim to being to Morey what edc was to Van Gundy. Did MIT reject your application? Did a geek beat you senseless with a calculator when you were little? I mean, damn... I don't get it.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Since when has MoPete been able to create his own shot? Seriously, maybe I've been missing something, but I simply do not equate that guy with creator in the great one on one player type mold. And even if he can occasionalyl create, he doesn't seem to do it that well. His yearly shooting % are 43.1%, 43.8%, 39.2%, 40.5%, 42.0%, 43.6%, and 42.9%....not exactly lights out. Yes, McGrady has had some similar years, but still, MoPete isn't a McGrady type player.

Belinelli, Almond...maybe. Who knows, same with Brooks, though. None of those guys have actually logged an NBA minute.

I'm all for adding a creator. I just don't see Kapono, Walton or Peterson as that creator.

10. Navman

Navman Member

I think you need to realize that an NBA team can not thrive on spotup shooters anymore. Last year's team MORE than proved that. You need a dynamic offense that utilizes every piece. What our management has done so far is gather capable guards that can drive to the hole and dish out to the backdoor dunker or wide open shooter.
    In a motion offense such as Adelman employs, the movement is geared towards collapsing the defense towards a playmaker who has drawn that attention from multiple screens. Rafer, Mike, and hopefully Aaron will be able to fulfill that role and setup our jumpers with TMac, corner 3s and drives with Shane, slashing drives with Snyder, postups with Bonzi/Yao, alleyoops for (FA) PF, outside 3s with Novak, layups with Chuck, midrange jumpers from Yao, high post pass to Yao for the cutters, or simply slash/jumper inside from our smalls.

That is a real offensive scheme, not JVG's overreliance of TMac to constantly create and finish everything or Yao's excessive postups. While I agree that a 'pure' shooter such as Almond, Kapono, etc would be nice, that's not the offense we will employ anymore. They would have been fantastic with JVG, but the speed of the NBA is such that no team can afford to have its players stand around anymore waiting for the dish.

11. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

So are you saying that our SF is Tmac/Battier/Bonzi? Sorry, but TMac starts at the 2, whether or not you think he is a 2. If you want to move him to the 3 then where does Battier play? Tmac/Battier at the 2 and 3 > Tmac/Mo Pete at the 2 and 3.

12. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

1 day into the free agency period and Morey's already missing the boat. Geez man.

That's like saying Kevin Durant on his 2nd day of practice missed some wide open teammates so he's not "getting" the league :rolleyes:

13. rserina

rserina Member

The problem is minutes. Sure, McGrady and Wells may not be prototypical twos, but where else are you going to play them since Battier is your best wing defender and starting at the three? If Bonzi gets in even reasonable shape, then the three of them should total 90 of the 96 minutes at those two spots.

So, let's just assume one of those three are reasonably priced and you sign them. What does that do with your rotation? The only option I can see is trading Battier plus Sura and maybe Head to Cleveland for a Gooden-type or maybe to Seattle for Wilcox. But this franchise probably doesn't want to trade Battier because of all that he brings to the table.

Sure, I would love another good perimeter shooter, but it's not like we were awful from the arc last year. Head shot 44% on 401 shots, Battier shot 42% on 373 shots, and Rafer shot 36% on 529 shots. They may not have shot well in the post-season, but they all hit better than the percentage you want out of a newcomer.

14. smasstastic

smasstastic Member

You have a problem. You have posted 50 times on a website dedicated to a franchise you hate. Find something better to do. If you like confrontation so much than street fight, don't hide behind some username.

15. AMD

AMD Member

Landry is a good pick-up at PF but I'm not sure he'll be ready to start from the get go, so we do need to snag another PF. But I think too many of us are expecting a huge superstar PF to come here. Why would a huge superstar scorer want to come here when Yao is gonna get most of the post opportunities.

The only thing I agree with Rockets-R-Us is that it never hurts to pick up a shooter who can also create his own shot, but I think TMac does enough of that by himself and he does it well. And Mo Pete definitely isn't the answer.

16. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

That's funny, you said all three would make us a better and deeper team overall. Why'd you bring them up as examples of Morey missing the boat when the only one you want isn't even signed by a team yet?

Tmac can be either the 2 or the 3, as Battier always guards the tougher perimeter assignment. If you can't rely on Tmac doing his thing on offense then we're screwed no matter who we sign. Put guys like Tmac, Kobe, Wade at the 3 and they'll play offense the same way regardless. Did Tmac somehow carry less of a burden playing next to David Wesley?

And Bonzi is a 2. I'm not counting on any production from him at all, but he is a 2 guard. From Portland to Sactown that's the only position he's ever played. Just because he was out of shape last year does not mean he's changed positions. If he's in shape he's a SG. If he's not in shape he's no longer an NBA player. Period.

You know who else has been unable to create his own offense since James' last year in Toronto? Morris Peterson. You've got your memory of what he was confused with the reality of what he is. He doesn't get to the basket anymore unless Ford, Bosh, or Calderon spoonfeed him there. He's basically the old Michael Finley at this point. I'd still take him, but at Finley's LLE price. He's no prized FA anymore. Hell, Toronto decided to replace him with the aforementioned Jason Kapono. How sad is that?

#76 MrButtocks, Jul 2, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2007
  17. Sextuple Double

Wait, did I miss something??? Free agency starts July 1st, today is the 2nd. Who got signed that we could've used?? Unless Vince Carter was your primary target we're just getting started.

List of FA signed:

Vince Carter
    Luke Walton
    Jason Kapono

We failed to overpay the players mentioned: Fire Morey :rolleyes:

<font size=1>for real though, fire his ass...... Aaron f**kin Brooks and some Aussie who's gonna see as much time as Shane Heal, get the f*** outta here<font>

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

LOL, yes we need to break the bank to get Morris Peterson, between Battier, Wells, McGrady, Head, and Snyder, there's only 5 players on the roster who can play the SG and/or the SF slot.

19. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Silly people on this board keep hoping to add PGs (Billups) and SG/SFs (Lewis, Kapono, G Wallace, Walton etc...) when in fact we have them more stockpiled than a Russian nuke.

Is a PF too much to ask these days on the BBS?

20. abundance

abundance Member

I don't think the Jazz will go for Morris Peterson. Fisher is leaving the Jazz to tend to his daughter, though he might come back later. They need a back up PG. Dee Brown is all they have behind Deron. If Deron gets injured, Dee is the starting PG and will play 48 minutes.

I think they will after Steve Blake and Boykins.