1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets continue to miss the boat on F.A. deals...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets-R-Us, Jul 2, 2007.

1. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

well said........ :cool:

2. SpiffyRifi

SpiffyRifi Member

If we drop 2 or 3 spots it won't be because we lack swingmen, it'll be because we lack a starting quality power forward or because of injuries. Despite your protests, we are loaded at 2 spot. I'll grant you Aaron Brooks is not a shooting guard, but you're dreaming if you don't think Mike James will play some time at #2. Not to mention Tracy is a 2, Bonzi is a 2, Luther is a 2, hell even Snyder is a 2! We don't need more swingmen period! We need a power forward - we didn't miss the boat on these guys. Utah needs swingmen, they have an all-star power forward! So if Utah beats us again its because they improved where they have a need. Our off season shouldn't be about taking players so that other teams don't get them - its for us to improve where WE lack strength and right now that's at power forward end of story.

3. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

We just need like 2 good PF's and we are set

4. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Actually every baller is dying to play in Utah, you know why?

Jazz will overpay anyone without a moments hesitation. Look at the deals Mehmet Okur and Carlos Boozer got before they proved anything at all. Yes now in hindsight we can say Boozer was a steal but back then 60 mil to a second round pick who had a stat padding year with Lebron?

Okur was even worse when he was only a bench player and marginal rotation guy in Detroit. He got a 40 mil deal.

You want more proof?

Andrei Kirelenko is their highest paid player who makes around 13 mil a season. That is max out type money for a guy who cries during practice sessions. He makes more dough than Yao and Amare. WTF this guy is their franchise baller?

5. SmitingPurpleEm

My thoughts exactly. This time Rockets-R-Us doesn't even have the hometown product excuse, like he did with Almond. He's just whining that the Rockets can't sign every FA on the market, even overpaid ones like Kapono, players who will only fit in one system in Walton, and someone who isn't even signed and dropped off horribly in MoPete.

6. roooshi

roooshi Member

um heck no...kapono is not needed on the rox and isnt that basically luther head? 6 mil a year for that? HELL NO

Again walton for 5mil? thats out MLE for walton? He doesnt fit our system and our needs. NTY.

id rather have joe smith anyday vs mo pete.

i dont know what ur smokin

7. Jumbo Mutombo

Jumbo Mutombo Member

nobody wants to sign with the pockets because they're not loyal to their guys (DREAM, RUDY, CALVIN, STEVIE).

also, houston is a terrible city with terrible fans

oooooOOOOH that's a FACT JACK

8. roooshi

roooshi Member

whats up lurker?

i recommend you GTFO before i 1v1 you in real life.

9. roooshi

roooshi Member

oh and please go back to your homepage.

www.jazzholes.com

10. Jumbo Mutombo

Jumbo Mutombo Member

YOU WANNA FIGHT ME??? MEET ME AT LIVE

WHAT?

11. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

I feel like the OP sometimes, but these three dudes ain't exactly the prime targets that we need right now, not even close.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

To beat a deadhorse for RRU, if we blow our wad on a quality swing man and have no money for a power forward, we are screwed. We have nothing but Hayes and Novak to play 4 right now. That means we'd have to fill that need with a trade, which is more complicated to pull off. And, what's our leverage like when the team at the other end of the phone knows we can't cut bait and just sign an adequate PF in free agency? If for nothing else, we can't publicly commit our MLE money to a swingman until we've got a trade for a PF settled. Everything hinges on the pf spot now; we can't hurt our position in making that acquisition by diffusing our focus. Hopefully, we'll have an agreement in place before the moratorium ends. Once that is finalized, we can look at more deals to address issues like speed, quickness, penetration, leadership (we lost some with the Howard-James trade), etc.

Btw, I'm going to significantly increase my vote on the quality of this thread because, even though I think the initial suggestion is way off, it does bring up very important implications of where the Rockets' focus should be, and how it should be staged.

13. Rockets-R-Us

Rockets-R-Us Contributing Member

OK -

Once more for those hard of hearing.... I WAS NOT advocating that we go after ALL OF THESE GUYS. Of the 3, I really only wanted Mo Pete.

For those of you calling TMAC and BONZI 2 guards truly do not understand basketball. Can they play the 2, yes. Should either play the 2? Absolutely NOT!!!!

TMAC's future health depends on him NOT having to run off screen after screen to get an open look, and Bonzi (at the 2?) C'mon guys, get real. Bonzi hasn't been a 2 since about 35 pounds and 3 years ago. Snyder is nowhere NEAR the kind of 2 guard the Western Conference demands and once again, despite wanting to be a 2 guard, Mike James is a PG.

While I agree (and did so LOUDLY) on draft night about our need for PF's, I wanted (and still do) somebody whose primary skill is creating and then making their own shot. If Aaron Brooks is it, then I think our GM failed us, it's that simple. Belinelli, Almond Morris and Morris Peterson are ALL 3 that kind of player.

Name me one other player on the ROX (again, other than TMAC) who can consistently (and that's stretching it even for TMAC) hit the perimeter J while also possessing the skill to get to the basket. Maybe Mike James can do that and maybe, since his one career year in Toronto, he doesn't have it anymore.

I'd just like a small forward/2 guard that's at least 6'6" tall, that hits 45% from the field and maybe 36% from the arc. The 3 guys who you've all dismissed, fit that description. so, with TMAC on the bench and without a PF who can also hit 3's, our offense will suffer again next year, even with Rick Adelman running the show.

Now, just to recap, I'm not suggesting we go after every free agent out there, nor am I suggesting we ignore our glaring need for a real PF. All I'm saying is that if we dont' find better shooters, it simply WILL NOT MATTER if we sign a mid level PF.

Why am I all alone in thinking we need more people capable of actually making shots? It's not like Rafer was the ONLY guy who choked open jumpers during the Utah series.

14. roooshi

roooshi Member

kid, bring it. Date? Time? Location?

calling everyone on a FAN forum "horrible fans" is by far the stupidest thing i have ever heard....

you and your e-raged and e-nerded self need to leave this site.

You joined this site, guess your one little sad pre-teen trying to rage on other sport fans and talking **** to them.

what does that do for you? +1 e-pride?

anyways these 3 players are about as useless for the Rox as Rip Hamilton.

15. roooshi

roooshi Member

i am making it clear to you that the opinions say we dont go after ANY of those 3. ANY. NOT ALL. NOT ONE. NONE! NOT ANY.

we only have so much money to spend and we dont have good assest? We need to focus on the weakest position for the team, and thats the PRIORITY. Bringing in any ONE of those players will NOT take the rockets to the next level that they seem to want so much.

got it?

N O N E OF THEM.

16. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

Is someone actaully upset that we didn't spend $30 Million on Luke Walton !?!?!? :confused:

[​IMG]

17. Jumbo Mutombo

Jumbo Mutombo Member

you are just an e-tough guy. i'm the real deal

you are not as big a fan as me. i let kevin willis sleep with my wife WHAT HAVE YOU DONE JUNIOR?

18. roooshi

roooshi Member

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/6512/jumbofk8.jpg

Kevin Willis? ROFL.
    You are the obvious terrible fan that you refer to.

What did i do?
    I taught this girl all her moves.
    [​IMG]

19. Rockets-R-Us

Rockets-R-Us Contributing Member

rooshi -

U need back up with this Jumbo a-hole? We may not agree on Rox moves, but I'll get anyone's back with they mess with our hometown and CC.net guys/gals.

Also, Willis - WTF? Is it necessary to turn every disagreement into an insult? The photo was funny as hell though.

JuanValdez - Thanks for actually sitting down and writing a thoghtful response. I am SOOOO convinced that one more legit shooter (probably a wing guy) was the difference between getting to the WCF and a 1st round exit.

Everybody jumping on me for not cheerleading for the next Karl Malone have missed the point completely. We will get another PF, but with this Mgmt team, and our money, it will have to be a banger with little offense making our perimeter game that much more important. I'm a student of the game, not just someone who b****es and moans when things don't go our way.

Anyway, for those not flaming me simply 'cause I have thoughts/feelings different from yours, thanks. If you don't, just write a thougtful, non-insulting reponse. It's not that hard. ;)

20. Jumbo Mutombo

Jumbo Mutombo Member

my wife is sexier than the power dancer you posted. i know for a fact you can not tap that.

i let kevin willis take my wife on romantic excursions because I LOVED THIS TEAM. you don't have dedication like that in ANY area of your life.