1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets continue to miss the boat on F.A. deals...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets-R-Us, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Barkley

Barkley Member

Novak will be better

2. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Why would the Rockets want Mo Peterson now? They need a power forward, not more swing-men. Tracy McGrady, Shane Battier, Bonzi Wells, and Kirk Snyder are more than enough there...

3. n8rox06

n8rox06 Member

I agree with the original poster. Why didn't Morey split his MLE between 4 players and sign all of them? What is his problem?

I'm sure they would have each signed for his proposed offer of $1.5 mil / year. Morey should be fired.

Oh yeah, and at the draft, he should have said "No thanks. We don't want to draft anyone this year because I'm going to split my MLE among league re-treads."

4. MONON

MONON Member

We have a glut of 1, 2 & 3's. So I'm not too worried players R-R-U mentioned. We are needing a 4/backup 5. However there are several available & we only need 1 of them. I'm gonna be upset only if we don't get 1 before training camp.

I do hope R-R-U isn't going to start such a negative thread every time a team other than the Rockets sign a FA!! :rolleyes:

5. Rockets-R-Us

Rockets-R-Us Contributing Member

The lack of understanding, (and again, with the personal attacks... Please grow up a little bit)...

It's simple... are we loaded at the 3?...Maybe, Are we loaded at the 2? Absolutely NOT!!!! Mike James and Aaron Brooks are on this team as Point Guards. Granted, they are "shooting" Point Guards, but point guards none-the-less.

The one thing that would have improved this team last year were swing men who could put the ball on the floor, get to the basket and or shoot over someone. I'm just begging you guys, Morey and anyone with a shred of understanding that this game has ZERO relevance without that one skill!!!!

Do we currently have anyone not named TMAC who could do that? (
    And, no Novak is NOT Kopono). And Bonzi is a maybe, at best, and due to his speed he's a 3, not a 2. So we are left with TMAC, Snyder (who shoots a lower percentage than Rafer) and Mike James as possible back up..... color me unimpressed with our bench at the 2!

Kopono and Mo Pete could play either the 3 or the 2, and guys, I'm not b****ing for the sake of b****ing, I'm looking for us to get BETTER where it counts... ON OFFENSE!!!! It's the only reason I have a 1% hope that Brooks is not the low 2nd rounder so many saw him as being.

Kopono BTW is MILES AHEAD OF NOVAK as a legit NBA rotation player and is also the reigning NBA 3pt Champ. He may not be worth the money but if Toronto beats out Cleveland and NJ for the EC Title next year, you'll all be singing a different tune!

And yes, I agree on your thoughts about the deal for Luke Walton, he would become another Shane for us, but how horrible would THAT be?

I get that I'm not the most optimistic guy following what has been for 10 years now consistently crappy moves by our team.

But if you look back on my posts, you'll see that I've also been among the most ecstatic whenever we've made what were we ALL believed to be outstanding moves, including the acquisition of Francis and even Cuttino Mobley (because of his offense), and I tried to be positive when we traded Cassell and Horry (I was ambivalent) and then of course when we got Yao and TMAC, but I HATED JVG (as a coach) and still do. That's because of his style both on and off the court.

Now, this particular post, for the knuckleheads insisting on riding the Pollyanna-mobile is not to say that we should have made plays for all 3 of these players, but for God's sake could we at least take one of the Offensive swing-men Utah is going to use to beat us with next year?

Is that too much to ask while Morey's talking about Joe Smith and Mikki Moore?

And BTW, if we drop 2-3 spots in seeding, or worse yet, hit the lottery next year because of this off-season, I want apologies from all who attack my philosophy regarding Rockets decisions!! Those who insist on the personal barbs can sit on same!!

6. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

My best guess is that they will go for Mikki Moore or Joe Smith (not Johnson). Amir Johnson was mentioned in a Feigen blog. But really who knows? They could be bringing Kelvin Cato back for all we know. For the record, I think Rockets-R-Us' analysis is dead on about what they need to to compete in the West. As things now stand, they are crowded at the point (Alston, Brooks, JL3, James, Spanoulis (?)), thin at the 2 (Snyder, Head) and somewhat set at the 3 (Bonzi, Battier, McGrady) and undersized at the 4 (Landry, Hayes, Novack (?)). I just don't see how this makeup is all that competitive given what their competition can field in the West.

#26 HillBoy, Jul 2, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2007
  7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

mo pete would be a solid get . kapono? no thanks. walton? no thanks.

i wouldnt call those 3 missing the boat by any means.

8. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I think you mean Joe Smith.

9. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Some news about the Pistons PF situation in the Detroit News. This is probably where ESPN Insider got the information.

1) Pistons are not likely to re-sign Webber
    2) They will go after Grant Hill with the MLE.
    3) Houston has expressed interest in Amir.
    4) Detroit will resign Amir if it doesn't push them into Luxury Tax zone.
    5) Nazr and Flip are being shopped for trades.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I say offer Sura+Snyder for Nazr or sign Webber for the LLE. Amir just doesnt seem like much of a upgrade at the 4 spot.

**the only available FA PF's that would interest me are PJ Browm, Joe Smith and Jamal Magloire

10. TheGM

TheGM Contributing Member

So, what? Listen. It was impossible to get Walton. He worked the deal out with the Lakers immediately. He wanted to play for them before giving other teams a chance. Kapono was paid way to much, we couldn't offer more. I wouldn't even want him at that price. So , you can't b**** about Kapono and Walton. Mo Pete, sure.

11. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

walton!!!! we lost the missing piece to a title!!!! :mad:

12. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

The Rockets need a power forward, not a swing-man.

Sorry, Red...

13. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Walton is a scrub and so is Kapono. So, what boat did we miss?

14. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

the junk :D

15. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

You don't consider T-Mac and Bonzi loaded? How many minutes is the back up 2 going to get- 8 per game? Don't we have guys already that don't cost $6 mil per year to give us those 8 minutes?

16. dookiester

dookiester Member

i agree with everything you said except this. aside from being fundamentally sound, battier and walton have little in common. starting with the fact that luke can actually dribble and get his own shot off. not that he's great at it, but he's got something, whereas battier's got nothing. battier is more of a defensive player while walton is more of an offensive guy. but 30 million is definitely too much for luke walton. or jason kapono.

17. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

We had no chance at Walton. He wanted to stay in southern cali and the lakers wanted to keep him. He doesn't play a position of need, nor is he an upgrade over what we have.

I'm a UCLA fan, so I love Kapono. But as proud as I am of his play, he was severely overpaid. The guy's getting 6 million a year for hitting open shots. He's a terrible defender, can't rebound, and is not a volume scorer. And again, he doesn't play a position of need. I'd be pretty upset with Morey if he signed Kapono to that contract, not that we had the cap room to do it anyway.

And Morris Peterson can go wherever he wants. I liked him, he was a great all-around player. But he's clearly fallen off a bit, especially on the defensive end. He can do a lot for Utah, but at what price? We have more pressing needs. I'd still take him though, but not for the MLE.

18. AMD

AMD Member

I don't think we need Kapono, Walton, or Mo Pete. Mo's gettin a little older but he can still score. Kapono can shoot only. Walton can score occasionally and pass the ball well. As people have already said Novak is a good shooter and Battier is like Walton but Walton isn't a good defender compared to Battier.

Nazr Mohammed could be a decent pf to pick up. I know he hasn't played amazing anywhere but he's a big body that can defend and can finish strong down low.

19. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

As critical as I've been lately of More or Less, you can't miss something you didn't look for. None of these players have been on the Rocket's radar, nor is it their expressed opinion that they would improve our team over those they seek. If we're going to criticize them for something, we should make it based on actual performance (or non).

20. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Missing out on what? Players we don't need at salaries we can't afford?