1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets contenders or pretenders?, ESPN Column..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by freddyg956, Jan 3, 2013.

1. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Pretender does not necessarily have a negative connotation here. A pretender here looks like a contender but is not. That's definitely the situation down in Houston. There's no denying that we need a year or two (and perhaps another max guy) to break through. I'm certain that no insult is meant by that article.

The question is: who can the Rockets reasonably acquire to push us over the top?

2. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

Cousins.

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

Of course they're not championship contenders yet. You'd have to be crazy to think they are yet, even Morey says the team's goal is only to make the playoffs this season.

They're only a very good power forward and a couple years of further development away from being contenders, though, and that's exciting.

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Whoever is getting their panties in a bunch because some "experts" deem that this team is a pretender needs to calm down. It's one thing to be a diehard fan and be realistic and it's another to be a homer.

Just be glad this team actually has a promising future and a path to get back to relevancy again.

5. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

[​IMG]

6. dragonz

dragonz Member

Read their comments, I think its fair and square.

We need to a) find a reliable half court offense from either James Harden or someone else, b) up our defense, c)need a better bench (Smith & Delfino is pretty good at times, but overall is thin) to be consider a contender.

Stop being delusional

and stop calling being delusional a fan act.

7. steady

steady Member

There is something annoying about the format -- "yeah, they're good, but they're not THAT good" ... :)

But Rockets wouldn't even be in the conversation if they hadn't started to impress a whole lot of people.

Like would you have an ESPN segment: Wizards, pretenders or contenders? :)

8. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

The Rockets are contenders for the 2nd round of the playoffs. That's about it. Anything is possible though! An injury... A tired, old Spurs team plum outta gas...

9. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

Yeah, it's just a way of moving the goal posts rather than admit their projections of this team were pretty off.

Now it's "too thin of talent" to win a title. Well, duh. How about just admitting this team is more talented than given credit for, rather than Harden and a bunch of scrubs who are "overperforming."

10. ColdspringX

ColdspringX Member

I would think a team has be able to get into the conf semi finals to be a pretender, and the conf finals to be a contender

11. jocar

jocar Member

**** them.

12. JJHardLin

JJHardLin Member

How are we pretenders? We aren't even in contention to win the ship lol

13. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

1. Kevin Lovvvvvve.
    2. **** them.
    3. ?

14. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

LoL. We're not even pretending. Aint nobody pretending that we're gonna win the chip haha.

15. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

at least the Rockets are in the conversation of being contenders.. when everyone said we'll be competing for the worst record... I'll take it.

16. split41

split41 Member

I'm with you, anything is possible, and I would be absolutely ecstatic if we made it to the second round. However, my expectations for this team, at the moment, are to make the playoffs and be a first round exit. Anything could happen though ala the D. Rose injury which derailed their whole post-season campaign.

17. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Yeah Rockets, stop pretending you're good by playing hard and beating teams that are supposed to be better than you according to ESPN. My carefully constructed media narrative designed to drive up page hits noooooo! Stahp it Rockets! I'm telling on youuuuuu! :(

18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Everyone knows we are far from being in the "contender" group. But I'm not so sure as to what they're defining contender as... is it contender for a title? Or contender for a playoff spot?

The first would be something of a miracle unless we add another star by All-Star break, but the second can be done as the West will more than likely beat up on each other and shake off the real playoff "pretenders" by mid February.

Besides that, who the hell are these losers? Never heard of any of these so-called "analysts" in my life.

19. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

They definitely could be the Eastern Conference Champs. ;)

20. langal

langal Contributing Member

ditto. that fact that the Rox are even in a "pretender or contender" discussion is a very pleasant surprise.