1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets contenders or pretenders?, ESPN Column..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by freddyg956, Jan 3, 2013.

1. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

lol no we lose in a 7 game series, you must be new around here

2. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

We're contenders.

3. jbasket

jbasket Member

We are not the 2003 Detroit Pistons. Didn't they have four all-stars on that team? We have one. The 1972 Knicks won it all, didn't they? So we are not them. Look, we are most likely a 1st round exit. That seems to be the path the Rockets are going to. Is it bad? No, we are very young.

The Heat are just as good this year, if not better. Just wait until the playoffs. Sure the Rockets have a chance to beat them: same way I have a chance to win the lottery. Small chance.

4. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

Correct, we're better than the 2003 Pistons. Right now, none of those Pistons are going into the Hall of Fame. Chauncey would probably have the best chance, but barely. We can do it guys. 1972 Knicks also had to go through 1971, so our 2012 is the Knicks 1971. We are contenders. Go Rockets!

5. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

You guys are all wrong.

We are the 2013 Rockets!

Yeah, you read the correctly.

We are going to be better than the rest.

We will be the unprecedented NBA 2013 Champions.

The youngest team in the NBA to win the Championship.

Joking aside, why are we comparing our team to the past?

Our team is the youngest team in the NBA and they are not failing like the Wizards or the Bobcats.

We are unique and exciting.

Two words you wanna hear for an upcoming team.

Let the team develop.

6. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

contenders to win the whole thing? lol no

to make playoffs- likely

7. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

You also forget, we're contenders.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

Contender or pretender, at least ESPN is putting us into the discussion. Before now, I don't think anyone even cares to call the Rockets a pretender.

No. The all-star appearances came AFTER they achieved championship status, not before. This is not to say we're on their level. I think we need some seasoning and add another piece first. But those players were very much under the radar before destroying the Lakers.

9. conquistador#11

we are young,turnover to turnover we stand! no promises, no demands!

10. jbasket

jbasket Member

I agree totally with you: we are very well on our way. Just one more piece... I just knew they had four all-stars, but didn't know when they were selected. I didn't really follow the Pistons much, other than the Malice in the Palace incident or the Bad Boys group.

11. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

No this team is not going to beat a Laker team with Shaq, Kobe, Malone and Payton.

We are also not on pace to win 50 games.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

What the hell? Why are we pretenders? Pretenders are those teams who look like they're contenders but aren't...good discussion for that would be teams like the Lakers or Clippers.

This was a projected 0.500 win team after Harden arrived, and with January being the toughest month there's no guarantee we won't go on a losing streak and still end up in that range. We're also the youngest team in the league. And we're pretenders?

Can I get some of the paycheck these writers got for this "article"? I'll do them one better and label 5 teams instead of one as contenders or pretenders:

Sacramento: Pretenders. Cousins is mentally checked out and Evans is still struggling with his shot.

Bobcats: Pretenders. The team is young and still figuring things out.

Cavs: Pretenders. They look like a superstar with a nice supporting cast, but TT is a bust.

Minny: Pretenders. Can't seem to get healthy.

Miami: Contenders. Won it last year.

Dafuq?! :rolleyes:

13. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

Also remember in that year, that was the first year when the had the 7 game series throughout the playoffs. Prior to this, the first round was best of 5. This was the same year that the same Detroit Pistons that beat the Lakers in the finals, almost lost to the Orlando Magic with our Tracy Mcgrady. The Magic was up 3-1, until the Pistons won 3 straight to go past the first round and then beat the Lakers in the finals. Our team is similar to that team, and actually, I think we're better than that team. We're contenders guys, we can go all the way, or go really deep in the playoffs.

14. jbasket

jbasket Member

I like your attitude, and your enthusiasm. But, we are not better than the '03 Pistons. We have the potential to be, and we will improve and be contenders in the future with more experience, but we are one piece away. Just one more central go-to piece. Right now, we are not contenders.

15. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

We're better than the Yao era Rockets now. Loved Yao, but we're better this year. We're contenders.

16. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Just like the 1995 Houston Rockets right?

;)

17. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Yao era Rockets had two established superstars, and although they never had success in the playoffs they were an easy 50 win team when healthy despite a poor supporting cast.

This team is not better than the Yao era Rockets, not even close. Maybe in the near future.

18. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

You sir is a TROLL!

Thank you very much.

Come back again, maybe a couple of years from now.

:cool:

19. jbasket

jbasket Member

At least its an optimistic troll! That likes the Rockets it seems. Not too bad.

20. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

Alright, if you guys are all pessimistic, that's fine. I know I'm optimistic about this new Rockets team.