1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets contenders or pretenders?, ESPN Column..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by freddyg956, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

The fact that they even have a conversation about whether the Rockets are contenders or pretenders says a lot about this team. Who would have thunk?? This young team shouldn't even make noise in the NBA yet we're beating good teams.

2. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

I think both can be true. Daryl Morey has said before that he's never really believed in the idea that a fast-paced offense can't succeed in the playoffs. This year, the contenders are all runners - Miami, OKC, SAS are among the fastest teams in the league. It's possible this year may mark a shift in pace for playoff teams.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

They are right based on how they're using the word, but it's a horrible one to use on such a young team. It would fit the suns because they were seen as contenders and though they could be, but that doesn't apply to the rockets.

4. lalala902102001

We have the youngest team in the league. We have a 23-year-old superstar who's getting better every game. We have enough cap room to get a major piece in the summer.

Yes we are pretenders right now, but our position looks a hell lot better than some of the so-called "contenders".

Besides, why do anyone care about what BSPN talkheads have to say about the Rockets?

5. johnnybravo

johnnybravo Member

Not so sure about that. Given the right match up, this looks like a team that is capable of a 1st round upset.

I would certainly like our chances should we match up against the Grizzlies.

6. dav

dav New Member

I am OK with that.
    Let's be an underdog and bite these experts' asses when the season is over.

7. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

I agree with this assessment, only because, the Rockets struggle in the half court game. I think they can make playoffs, but they will get destroyed by tougher defences and will find it hard to get their offense going against teams like Spurs/OKC. They need to figure out a way to get going in those times, and also to play BETTER defense. So annoying when they score on their opponent, but the opponent comes right back for like an easy jumper, layup or 3 pointer. Can't let that happen.

8. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Did i miss the memo where we were championship contenders. dafaq is this

9. tested911

tested911 Member

Rockets are definitely "pretenders" until they get another tier 1 star. Doesn't stop me from watching and enjoying the current Rockets squad.

No way we can beat the Thunders,Heat,Spurs,Lakers,Clippers,Knicks, and couple others in 5 or 7 games.

We just need that 2nd tier 1 Star to take over a game when Harden cannot (because of double teams or having a off night).

I truely believe that we are closer to a championship (if we get another tier 1) than with the Yao/T-mac era.. I never believed we could win it all with that duo.

10. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

We playin pretend basketball?

1 person likes this.
  11. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

we aren't the youngest team in the league.

12. Lostie

Lostie Member

Agreed, we aren't championship material until we grab another star-level player. But if we get a matchup vs SAS/Memphis I wouldn't count us out as a first round exit.

13. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Who could have actually thought that anyone would even be asking this question about the Rockets this season. The Rockets were supposed to be one of the five worst teams in the league, and now people are predicting we will make the playoffs. Just an amazing job by McHale and his staff to get these young guys playing so well.

Yes, I thought it was crazy to have our power forward jacking up threes early in the season, but McHale knew what he was doing. McHale has the Rockets playing a style of ball that fits our players and we are winning. We still have a long way to go to compete with the leagues elite teams, but maybe some of our young guys will grow up faster than anyone expects, I've seen it happen before.

14. redearth

redearth Contributing Member

Is it conventional wisdom that fast paced teams can't do well in the playoffs? Because we're young, shouldn't we be able to maintain a fast pace relative to our opponents during any given series? This article from 3 playoff seasons ago makes some interesting points about how the pace slows down after regular season play.

"On its face, the adage does not make much sense. If the Phoenix Suns run for 82 games, why can’t they keep running in the playoffs? When two philosophies clash, why is the methodical team able to impose its style and pace?"

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/09/sports/basketball/09offense.html?_r=0

15. thisiscaketown

Running teams can be successful, but they need to be able to play defense. I don't think we're at the level of the Heat, Thunder, and Spurs in terms of defense. To do that, we'd need to have our core players (which we don't since Morey will likely make more trades/acquisitions) and then some time for these core players to get used to each other and be able to cover for each other's weaknesses.

16. nomangame

nomangame Member

Pace too fast for postseason basketball?

This I don't understand......

17. Bill Bradley

Bill Bradley Member

Eff that. You guys should have more faith in your team. If the Knicks and Memphis are contenders, so are the Rockets. The Rockets have been rapidly improving this season and I see no reason why they won't keep improving. They have played other contenders well, and if rested and at full strength, I give them a shot against any team in the league.

18. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

i totally agree, the idea that people are even arguing about the fact that we aren't a contender speaks volumes. at the beginning of the season we were labeled off as a high lottery team, great sign for me. Definitely one of my all-time favorite rockets teams.

19. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

and for those saying we are contenders the thunder and spurs think otherwise. lets be real, this season would be written off as a success if we even make it to the playoffs seeing how deep the west is. Going to the second round would be a championship to me.