1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rockets.com] Landry feeling right at home

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fritz145, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Thanks Jason!

2. jebustheomlet

jebustheomlet Member

alright well landry is now, after everyone's recent comments, legitimately the reason I am most excited about tonight. i couldn't watch the first game cus i dont have fsn Houston at College Station. how convenient that we're playing the Spurs, and I can watch it on Southwest. haha...

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

So you don't have to click the link, here is the article.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carl Landry Feeling Right at Home
    Houston vs. San Antonio, Thursday, 7:30 p.m.

Jason Friedman
    Rockets.com Staff Writer
    HOUSTON - It's not supposed to be this easy.

After a summer spent away from the team due to ongoing contract negotiations, it was only natural to assume Carl Landry might get off to a slow start at training camp. And while that thought was understandable, it was also laughably off-base.

Landry exploded out of the gate in the Rockets' preseason opener Tuesday night, pouring in 18 points and corralling 9 rebounds. But perhaps most impressive was the fact that the second-year forward was a force both inside and outside the paint thanks to a sweet midrange jumper which is increasingly becoming a weapon in Landry's expanding arsenal.

"All summer I worked on the 18-foot jump shot because, if I can knock that down, they’re going to have to come out and guard me," explains Landry. "And I feel like I’m quick enough to get by any big guy in this league and finish strong at the hoop. So that’s just another added dimension to my game and I hope that I can grow and become a better player than I was last year."

Of course, Landry's focus is and always be on doing the dirty work down low. That's why it had to be such a welcome sight for Rockets' fans to see the Purdue-product unleashing his boundless energy and explosiveness Tuesday night via an impressive display of strong rebounds, physical play - and a trademark thunder dunk, of course. And while one night's work isn't going to completely silence the questions about his oft-discussed knees, Landry knows he couldn't have asked for a better beginning.

"It felt good," says Landry. "I know that was an issue with the contract and everything, but it worked out. And I understand, because it’s a business and if anybody had any injuries in previous years, you have to be cautious about signing a player to a multi-year deal. So that was my focus during the summer – to strengthen my knee as best I could to make people see that there's really nothing wrong... But it’s not about putting up big numbers in the preseason, it’s all about becoming a better team and I hope we can continue to do that."

For Landry, and many of his teammates as well, part of that process means watching tapes of Rick Adelman's old Sacramento teams.

"That was a team that was great running this offense and that’s where we need to be – if not better – to get where we want to go. So I watch their games, because I want to become a better player and see what I’m doing wrong so I can grow and understand the system and how to make the game easier for myself."

Preseason play continues tonight as the Rockets play host to the San Antonio Spurs. Tip-off for tonight's game takes place at 7:30.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks Jason.

DD

4. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Saw "[Rockets.com]Landry feeling" on the main forum page thread preview and got a knot in my stomach fearing the sentence ended with "soreness in knee."

5. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

The idea is for us to click... so that Jason gets credit for driving an audience to the site. It lets the PTB know that we like his stuff. We don't want him to get fired!! Dude is the bomb.

Not that I don't appreciate the effort ;)

6. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

thanks J for the article

Landry was a surprise yet again on tuesday night I didnt think he would be that good but it was just one game. hopefully he continues that style of play if he does he will be a force for this team coming off the bench

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

You know... reading these two words had me worried a bit.

8. KiwiRocket

KiwiRocket Member

Im very excited about Landry this year, if he has worked out as hard as he says he has been he is going to have a huge year!

9. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Member

I expect the Scola show tonight........he usually goes off on the Spurs. ;) (remember his coming out party last year)

10. DPballer

DPballer Member

I thought it was silly when Landry (or his agent?) said that he was developing a three point shot. But after hearing that he made some long shots in the last game, maybe he really has been putting that in his repertoire.

11. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Member

The average/good players that become great are the ones that add something to their game each offseason.....

Hopefully McGrady worked on his FT shooting. :rolleyes:

12. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Member

It would be sad if our PF and C outshoot McGrady at the stripe this year.....completely unexusable

13. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

Small typo there if you wanna fix it.

14. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Thanks, Jason.

btw: DD, Hayesfan is correct. You should delete the article.

15. joesr

joesr Member

16. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Really nice quotes from Landry regarding the whole contract situation. He looks at it from a very mature perspective, and obviously has no ill will regarding the process.

17. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

no doubt about it, landry looked fantastic tuesday night.

having scola, landry, hayes, and artest shoring up the 4 spot is damn impressive.

18. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

yeah DaDa, stop hurting jason you jerk!

19. XBLRocketman111

XBLRocketman111 Contributing Member

DADa stob being mean to jason you big bully!!! :D