1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rockets.com/Jonathan Feigen] Trade Deadline talk

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Feb 11, 2010.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

****LONG POST****

Feigen sits down with Craig Ackerman and discusses the Rockets and the upcoming trade deadline. It's in the podcast form, and the link provided(from Jason) is the link to the download.

http://www.nba.com/media/rockets/Rockets_podcast_02-11-10.mp3

CA: Welcome to Rockets cast on Rockets.com. I'm Craig Ackerman, he's Jason Friedman. The Rockets in the middle of the All-Star break. They probably could use a break coming off the tough loss to Miami to close out the pre-ASB portion of their schedule. Next up is a home game on the other side against the Utah Jazz Tuesday Feb. 16th. Our guest here on Rockets cast on Rockets.com is the Houston Chronicle's Rockets beat writer is Jonathan Feigen. .....

I guess we are here at the ASB and I guess before we start talking about what's coming up in a week from now with the NBA Trade Deadline, thoughts on the first half of the season? They came off that banged up month of December and for the most part have struggled since.

JF: They have shown who they are, in terms of what they can make work, where they have their shortcomings. If everything is clicking, including all that high energy, effort, and intensity they had in November and December, they can make it work and win their share but it is tough. We have seen clearly to make everything work just to be in the game and have a chance to win because there are nights where everything won't work. It's very hard to just be in the game and win it. Remarkable they did it through December but it's a lot to overcome through 82 games.

CA: Trade deadline coming up. It's gonna be taking up much of your time. What is the latest around the Rockets?

JF: The thing I'm sure of is nothing imminent. Much more likely Wednesday or Thursday. Report of Yahoo on a 3 team trade and I had mentioned a possibility of a 3 team deal with the Knicks the night before though I didn't have the names he had. Umm, his names are real good. It's not exactly it and I'm not exactly sure where it's off. But the 3 team thing using the Knicks, who have genuine interest in McGrady to come in and play and see what he can do and see if they can get a bargain to pair him with someone they can bring in and maybe use him as an attraction. That's real. So you got a team interested in the player and can combine that with whatever salary cap benefits you can offer to Washington and maybe you can do a 3 team deal. However, I'm told that is in no way a leader in the clubhouse or a leader among the other things they talked about. There are a lot of possibilities and a 3 team trade will only be one of those possibilities. Doing something direct with Washington or Philadelphia or New York. All possibilities and don't sleep on Chicago. They've spoken with Chicago from the beginning. And then, you never know, teams who said no no no, say let's talk again closer to the deadline.

CA: Do you think under the circumstances and the money that McGrady is making this year as the league's highest paid player, if a deal is going to get done, a 3rd team has to be involved or is it 50/50.

JF: No

CA: In terms of 50/50, it doesn't have to be a 3 team deal.

JF: It absolutely doesn't have to be a 3 team deal. The reason it's attractive is New York has expirings to put to another team, they have interest in him as a player. And actually, he is not the highest paid player in the league, that is widely reported. If you have access to the contract, he is 3rd. We might have to do a bakesale for him! Kobe & Jermaine O'Neal are the largest. Anyway, no you can absolutely do it because he is expiring and Rockets are willing to take on a longer contract. You can do a 2 team deal. The names out there remain accurate. Have spoke to Philly about Iguodala and Washington about Butler. They're willing to be aggressive. I just got off the phone with one guy who money's on do nothing. He starting convincing me that do nothing makes a lot of sense except I got one hole in that logic. With the new CBA coming in and say its 7-8 mil under the cap, that you can get a player for that that you could not have gotten before. 7-8 mil will soon be a large contract. It will be under the super-max guys who write their own check. It won't be your LeBron's, Wade's, Bosh etc. Maybe Joe Johnson type. Only problem is their is a gap between solid rotation guys and super max. Who falls into that gap? I dont have an answer for that. A lot of think that's the way it will go, let it expire.

CA:You mention Iggy and Butler, the guys most connected thus far publicly, going inside Morey's mind, who would he prefer? Also threw Chicago out there, what kind of names between Rockets and Bulls?

JF: I get lost in Morey's mind. I get trapped in numbers, etc. They love Noah. If Rose is untouchable, Noah is next untouchable. The next level is maybe Ty Thomas because he is out there. You say we got Landry and Scola, and eventually Hayes(not as a C), he is a real talent and teams wonder how they'll get everything out of him or is he someone you then turn because he is attractive out there. Hinrich always out there to make money match but Rockets will not knock down his door to get. I don't see that as a real possibility but it's been talked about and whatever they talked about got to be a possibility.

As far as his preference, thats a tough one. You can't eliminate the contract considerations. Butler and Iggy have such different contracts. With Iggy, you're saying this is our guy and we will stick with him for years. He has a large contract in the future NBA economy. Everyone has pegged him as a future star for several years. I dont think it has happened yet but that dont mean it never will. He gives you something they dont have. He creates, doesnt have to score or shoot well to make your offense better. They dont have that right now. Aaron Brooks the best offensive player but he needs to score and shoot well for him to have a good offensive game. Rockets dont have a lot of games where they bigger, faster, stronger, jump higher, Iggy is that and brings that. Another consideration, Chase Budinger - if really develops,gets real minutes on contending team, good minutes, you got a shooter off Iggy and Yao where it works better where you dont have to say where Butler or we need a shooter around Yao. You dont have to say that if Budinger develops. Many think he will.

Butler fits right away. You need shooting, here's a shooter. He's not a 3 pt shooter. 1 dribble 2 dribble, shoot. He would be a guy where it wont be a long marriage where you're deciding here is our future with this guy and Yao. He wont cost as much. You wont have to give as much. You wanna be able to keep Lowry, Brooks, and Landry with the new probably hard cap. There is less risk in a Butler move than Iggy move. If it hits Iggy move, it hits bigger.

CA: I read your piece online last night, that swinging for the fences would be Iggy. You also said if they can help it, they wouldn't like to give up their young core. A lot of the talk has been about McGrady. What is the likelihood that another guy is moved with Tracy or in a seperate deal somebody else in the core is moved in another trade?

JF: If there is no trade, I wouldnt be surprised if they just tried to get under the LT. David Andersen, Joey Dorsey, a pick to get them under the LT. I dont think that's what you're asking(laughing) but I'd be surprised if they completely sat out. Do they sweeten a deal with one of their young guys? I don't know, I think the odds are pretty decent you can do a Butler deal either 3 team deal without having to include Lowry, Landry, Budinger, Taylor, etc. I think they can get that done. That might be the difference when/if they get to a choice. Philly seems clear that they want something for now and the future, and hard to do if you're giving up Iggy. Gotta get somebody in there. That might swing it towards Butler from a Rockets perspective.

CA: Beyond the Rockets, under the radar or darkhorse name that could be moved before the deadline that might catch people off guard.

JF: Right until you said off guard, I was gonna say Josh Howard. They clearly need to do something in Dallas. They wanna do something, they got potential but isnt working and maybe he can get you something. I'm not sure. Phoenix looks more and more likely that they wont move Stoudemire. They made him understand that he wont get Wade money. Better off with 17 mil next year

CA: Stoudemire not a max guy in my opinion.

JF: Right, as they begun extension talks, take what you're getting next year and instead of rushing to the new CBA of what you'll get. You minus well postpone it instead of rushing it. Guys like Stoudemire, make it at the old level. 2 weeks ago, I said yes. Now, he said he might opt in, he might of been told some stuff from meetings, etc and was put to him. It might help the Rockets. Not sure they could beat a offer including Stoudemire. Not sure that a name that is surprising. Sac. determined to keep Martin and see how it goes. Hasnt gone well so far though they can do it in the summer. They can also come Thursday morning saying we wanna talk now. Shown no sign of that. Charlotte - attendance is bad. Brown has turned over the team. New Orleans - you think they have to do something. It looks like they're not gonna make the playoffs. Minus well find a way though no one is gonna take Peja and dont seem determined to move Okafor who makes a lot of money. I'm surprised by that. So if you wanted me to pick one out not rumored, maybe I'll say that one - New Orleans.

CA: Chris Paul going down. Odds are they wont make the playoffs. Thanks Jonathan as always. You teach me something every time we talk. If I learned anything today, I learned McGrady isn't the highest paid guy. We'll see you soon.

END

3 people like this.
  2. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

More of the same, but thanks for the post.

3. AggieDentist

AggieDentist Member

thanks for the transcript.

4. Onethingy

Onethingy Member

Guess I learned this too, as well.

5. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Why is not Cook? If the rockets sent Dorsey and Andersen out, there is no C in this team. Hayes is more PF. And, Andersen is not an expiring contract. It would be hard for another team to accept him.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

butler, fits right in...

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

He was just throwing out names as examples. Surely Cook is a candidate.

8. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

EDIT: My bad...

9. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

Can anyone provide a detailed explanation on why Mcgrady is only the third highest paid player? Conventional wisdom and salary listings seem to indicate he is the highest paid player in the league.

10. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Well, what ever the case is Houston must have more than 1 blue-print or design that is always going to be moving forward and aiming above everyones minds. They will take the fat chance to go over the LT if it means the stepping stone to take a chance to keep moving upward in that near future. Believe me they'll probably have more than one blue print period just to aim above everyone minds. At the end they'll settle for the best possible sequences. If nothing works out, then they'll keep moving forward from there.