1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rockets.com] Barry and Brooks becoming formidable tandem

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets Jones, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Barry_and_Brooks_Form_Formidab-287917-34.html

HOUSTON - They are separated by (at least) seven inches and more than thirteen years. One is the epitome of the term “grizzled vet,” while the other probably still gets ID’d when trying to enjoy a night out on the town.

But despite their obvious differences, Brent Barry and Aaron Brooks are connecting on the basketball court in a way which has Rockets fans buzzing. The combo started to click during the latter half of the preseason and has only gotten better since the real games commenced.

Want proof? Just check out the +/- numbers the pair have produced in the Rockets’ last two games (Brooks missed the opener due to an ankle injury). Brooks and Barry were a combined +64 when on the floor against Dallas and Oklahoma City - a small sample size to be sure, but also an indication of just how effective that duo has been for the Rockets.

“They play well together,” says coach Rick Adelman. “They both can make plays and they’re both very good shooters. With Aaron, it’s a matter of experience and Brent’s been in the league a long time so it’s a good combination.

“I think anytime you’re a young guy and you have a veteran on the floor who can let you know what we’re trying to do - and what’s the best thing to do - you listen to that person. Aaron’s very good at that. He listens and learns as much as he can because he wants to get better.”

Indeed, Brooks seems to recognize the value of tapping into the basketball brain of Barry – a man whose hoops IQ is often described by Rockets’ staffers as being “off the charts.”

“He knows so much,” says the second year guard from Oregon. “He can direct a play, or even think of a play on the run and get everyone in the proper spot for it – that’s just the sign of a good point guard.

“He always gives me good feedback and everything he says has value to it. He’s given me so much good information. But he also tells me that if I feel like he’s talking too much, to just to tell him to shut up.”

Brooks says he hasn’t taken his mentor up on that last offer yet, but Barry says it’s just a matter of time.

“He will - I’ll force him into it,” quips Barry. “But we have to have good communication. If we’re all talking in here and trying to help each other out, and it’s all with the intent of getting better, that’s the kind of locker room you want to have.

“I think our bench has a lot of different ways we can go depending upon who coach wants to play. Aaron’s going to play a very, very big role for this team throughout the course of the season. He’s got a lot to learn, but I think he’s really building off the momentum he generated during the preseason. It’s nice to have him out there doing those things because we do need to pick up the pace both offensively and defensively and certainly he’s a guy who can get out there, push the ball and give our second unit a different look.”

Sounds about right :)

2. jae713

jae713 Member

Brooks has really impressed me. And him hanging with Barry will only make him a smarter player.

3. redao

redao Member

Brooks needs to do more stuff that he did in Mavs game. It was amazing. It is more entertainment than Landry's dunk .

4. Ikorose

Ikorose Member

Brent Barry coming here is the most underrated move of the offseason.

5. v3.0

v3.0 Member

I guess Adelman ditched the Head/Barry idea.

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Member

Brooks is our future starter.

7. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

Thank goodness.

8. durvasa

durvasa Member

Brent Barry was a brilliant pick up. He's the Shane Battier of our offense.

9. karmapolice119

what im looking forward too is when deke comes back. He can hold down the paint even more than yao, which will even further decrease the second units defensive liabilities

10. Grandpappy

Grandpappy Member

Great read.

Make sure to click the link though so fritz can get his credit.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

What surprises me is Barry already looks more comfortable as a Rocket than he ever did as a Spur.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I am really glad that Brooks has Barry as his mentor. That's the best thing that can happen to him.

Barry's brain combined with Brooks' speed will be something special.

13. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

I agree, and I did. Great write-up Jason. It's something that I can't believe isn't done more often on this team, getting the non-regular passers to pass to other non-regular passers. When I play on XBOX, I'm moving the ball around all the time, from McGrady to Yao to Scola, to Rafer to Battier for the 3!

What I wonder about is how often those fed the ball even think about passing the ball to someone? It's not often. The championship Rockets were good at "unselfish basketball", where the ball moved from Kenny to Mario to Otis to Dream to Max for the 3 all the time (except when they just dumped it down to Hakeem :D )

It just puzzles me why do we need dedicated "assist" guards like a pass-1st Rafer, when everyone is physically capable of catching a passing a basketball, and on the RUN, in the motion of the OFFENSE! Garnett trusts Perkins and Rondo enough to pass them the ball for a good shot, where will our team be when they start trusting everyone else on the team to take the good shot, or pass the ball to someone THEY trust?

I hope we're on our way to a championship, that's where I wish they are!

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Very true, but not that hard to predict... I knew Barry's addition would be underrated simply because the acquisition of Ron was so high profile and rightfully garners all the attention.

It was a very good signing, Brent and Aaron is like our version of Cassell and Rondo.

15. Moochie Norris

I like the chemistry that is developing within our team

16. tiger0330

tiger0330 Member

He's shooting 30% from the field and averaging 3ppg. Barry will need to shoot way better than he has before I'll jump on his bandwagon.

17. JVGFAN

JVGFAN Member

The Landry, Artest, Hayes, Barry and Brooks line up looks like they have been playing together forever. I love that lineup, it makes a good case for artest to play 35-40min from the bench. It would be a relentless offense and defense for 48 minutes. Barry is gonna make Brooks very good!

18. JVGFAN

JVGFAN Member

His experience and passing ability are very valuable. He's smart and wont make to many mistakes. He's a career 40+ percent 3pt shooter and will help Brooks develop point guard skills

19. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Totally agree. And Barry is already the best cutter on this team / in this offense. It's only a matter of time before the hight post guys who've been missing him (mostly Hayes and Landry from what I can remember) start hitting him for layups..

20. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Brooks is really playing well, much better than Rafer right now. I hope that Rafer could talk to Barry more, and learn when he should stop to take that stupid tear-drop, which I never see from Barry