1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rockets claim Garrison Mathews off waivers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Oct 18, 2021.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Also, Mathews didn't sign with Houston. The Rockets CLAIMED him off waivers.

Still, I think this is a better spot for him than Boston if his goal is to end up on an NBA contract at some point this season.

D-rock, Nook and Hank McDowell like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Like Armoni, Matthews would work very well in KPJ or Sengun lineups.

Silas needs to shake up his starting back court, KPJ and Green are horrible fit and liability on defense when playing together.

KPJ lobbying for drafting Green is going to eventually come back to bite him.

RocketOrg likes this.
  3. juanming

juanming Member

Come on man you of anybody knows that Silas will not play Matthews and you also know that Silas cows down to his vets like house theis and nwaba

Matthews is not going to see a single minute of playing time with this coach I've I seen enough of Silas to know that he will never play Matthews

House can't be traded cuz he sucks and no one wants him

Rockets don't have the heart to cut house cuz of the car wreck

Rockets don't have the heart to dnp nwaba ...and even martin is ahead of Matthews in the pecking order

I just read five pages of this thread and not a single person stated the obvious which is Matthews nor anyone else we sign will ever see the court with Silas

Drock you of anyone knows Silas doesn't have the fortitude to tell his teachers pets they can't play at all cuz we got this new guy Matthews that will take your place

I mean I just read 5 long pages and all of y'all apparently don't know that Stephen Silas doesnt like to make tough decisions regarding lineup changes

Besides being shitty on X's and o's , and on defense, another weakness of Silas is favortism to vets

And anyone that posts on here that we should bench green or Porter is clueless because it will NEVER happen

For God sakes we told wall you can't play cuz we want to start Porter..and now your stuck with Porter as your pg cuz he has such a fragile mind he will go off the deep end if he's benched. I say that cuz Porter gets so upset and down on himself like last game when he makes a simple mistake.. no way he would accept a bench role

Same goes for "I should have been the #1 pick" green..he will sulk also

House will sulk nwaba will sulk and I suspect theis and Martin and Tate will sulk also

To many babies on one team. Seems like Silas has to babysit.

Matthews will not play till everyone is traded or expires

You have to ask yourself, why would theis sign to the worst team in the league? That's a red flag.. no player should want to play for us. Either we promised theis a starting spot cuz we didn't think we could get sengun and now they look like idiots starting theis, or we overpaid everyone else for theis which would mean stone is dumb. We are rebuilding it would be stupid to outbid everyone for a vet when we need to play the young guys

Team is a mess from owner Down. Sorry for the rant but gawd damn seems like everyone on the forum is dancing in the streets over matthews and I needed to show u guys Silas won't play his ass

D-rock likes this.
  4. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

A rebuild does not mean to exile all players with more than 2 years experience". Need both on-court and locker room presence to help mold players. Even if Theis is an Omer Asik at best, while its a hindrance it won't cripple the team. Its not near a Ryan Anderson deal.

Nor is anyone "dancing in streets" over this move. The Rockets played 30 players last year. They might near that again this season

D-rock likes this.
  5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Every coach gets the same vets vs rookie criticism. I heard it ad-nauseam on this board for every coach for the Rockets since Rudy. I’m not sure Silas is a good coach yet, but not because of the won’t play rookies mantra. He played Green, Seguin, Garuba and Christopher all in the first game. He will almost assuredly get Seguin 30 mins a game before too long whether starting or not. KPJ, Tate, Nwaba, KMJ are all very early in their careers and will all get their shots this year. Pretty stupid rant over the 15th man on your roster not getting minutes.

Mathloom and topfive like this.
  6. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

He seems to shoot A LOT of off-balance 3-pointers.
    Don't know if that should worry me or not.
    Career .39% 3pt shooter so I guess it works for him.
    Also see an inordinate amount of ft's rattle in, but again he's a career .89% shooter there so I guess as long as it goes in.

I do like the fact that in the highlights he's scoring so well against Miami and (clutchfans darling) Tyler Herro.
    Does that make him an "anti-herro"?

hakeem94, D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That actually is a plus to me, that he can shoot off the bounce and off movement. He’s not just a spot up shooter.
    A true 3&D guy that can make some plays and do dirty work. I just don’t see PT for him.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I've been pushing for Garrison to start! Green and KPJ has no room to drive, the court is congested. If you look at GS, ATL, etc the court is spread.

The only reliable 3 pts shooter in the starting lineup is Wood. Garrison will help spread the court to allow Green and KPJ to drive and get easier baskets

DaDakota likes this.
  9. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

He needs to start over Tate, House, and who ever else Silas try to throw in at the 3

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Then Green has to be 6th man.

Porter/Green
    Matthews/Snipa
    EGo/Nwaba
    Wood/KJ/Garuba
    Sengun/Theis

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

We kept hearing about Tate working on his three. If he doesn’t start taking open 3 and hitting a reasonable amount of them, then he should be relegated to a bench role as a defensive stopper, however, we can’t really make that judgement after one game. His defense is pretty elite and last year he showed really good handles. If he gets out of his funk he will be fine as a starting SF. I would like to see KMJ get more minutes as he is not afraid to take threes and is super active in all aspects fo the game. We should be using PnR a lot more and KMJ, Green, Porter would all do fine on corner 3 pters. People are wanting Matthews as a starter even though he hasn’t gotten anything more than a two way contract. That’s pretty immature in my opinion,

12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

because the 15th man is your best 3pt shooter...
    its a professional negligence that rockets cant shoot and fans should sue the organization perhaps over this...
    i get that people couldnt shoot back in 80s and 90s but today 3pt shooting is the most important skill

D-rock likes this.
  13. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

The Rockets need more rebounding in the starting lineup. They got killed on the boards against the Wolves. KJ should start at the 3 way before this guy. He’s good around the basket for rebounding, put backs and second chances.

jch1911 and hakeem94 like this.
  14. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

are we trying to break last year 30 players record?

15. jch1911

jch1911 Member

KPJ (30) / DJA (10) / JayGup (8)
    EGo (20) / Thrilla (20) / Snipa (8) (Thrilla off bench for now)
    KMJ (20) / Nwaba (for D TWSS) (20) / GW (for O) (8)
    Wood (30) / Tate (18)
    Sen-gawd (24) / Theis (for O) (14) / Garuba (for D TWSS) (10) only b/c I think Sen-gawd gets in foul trouble ALOT

Need to move EGo & House for front-court player

pippendagimp likes this.
  16. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think Immature is a proper assessment. My assessment is more based upon what I see he can offer, rather than his contract situation. A lot of players come in as Free Agents, Two- way, etc and start.

Tate is a SHORT 4. I love his defense, hustle and effort but the majority of his points come inside the paint. And to me that's the problem. If no one else is hitting threes the court becomes too congested.

With a pure shooter at the 3, it spreads the court. If Green and KPJ aren't hitting their shots earlier on at least they will have an option to drive and hit layups. In the Minnesota game, the T-Wolves packed the lanes and dared them to shot.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Need another legit big in the WORSE way!

jch1911 likes this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This 1 million times this, been saying that Green and KPJ don't fit they are the same drive and dish and step back players - and they are getting in each others way.....one or both need to cut when the other has the ball, one or both need to hit 3s on a catch and shoot scenario.

Hopefully this will work it's way out over time.

DD

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. topfive

topfive CF OG

You guys are insane. That is all.