1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Buy Truckloads of Supplies for Ike Victims

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lil Pun, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3595964

HOUSTON -- The Houston Rockets purchased four tractor-trailers full of food, water and toiletries for victims of Hurricane Ike and players unloaded them at a distribution center Thursday.

The four trucks carried 80,000 pounds of supplies, said team spokeswoman Tracey Hughes.

Forwards Mike Harris and Chuck Hayes and guards Rafer Alston, Aaron Brooks and Luther Head carried boxes of food and orange juice. They greeted motorists who waited in long lines to get supplies in the parking lot next to the University of Houston's football stadium.

Rockets chief executive officer Tad Brown said the team tapped its relationship with Feed the Children, an international charity, to bring the trucks to Houston from Oklahoma City.

The Rockets and Feed the Children worked together three years ago during hurricanes Katrina and Rita. The charity also helped Rockets center Dikembe Mutombo with his foundation that supports efforts to improve education and quality of life for people of the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

Rockets owner Leslie Alexander started organizing the shipments on Monday night and the trucks were on the road by Wednesday afternoon, Brown said.

"It was an easy decision to do something very quickly," Brown said. "We had the infrastructure in place to do it."

Brown said the Toyota Center, built to withstand a direct hit from a Category 5 hurricane, sustained no damage from Ike. Brooks gathered seven family members, left his house and spent the night of the storm in a luxury suite.

"It seemed like the safest place to be," Brooks said.

Head, a Chicago native, flew home Sept. 11, two days before the storm hit, and returned to Houston on Monday. He saw the storm damage on his drive back from the airport.

"Trees in highways, houses with windows busted out, rooftops gone," Head said. "I was just hoping my house wasn't as bad as the things I was seeing. When I got there, I saw that I didn't have much damage, just my electricity was off. I felt fortunate, but I also felt bad for the people who lost more."

Brown said none of the Rockets were permanently displaced, but more than half of the team's staff still had no power at their homes Thursday. Power was restored at Head's house Wednesday night.

"The one thing about a hurricane or a disaster like this, it doesn't matter how much you make, it doesn't matter what profession you have, it doesn't matter if you're a pro athlete or an account executive, we're all going through the same things," Brown said.

2. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

awesome nice to see the team give back to its city during a time like this

3. airbulllard

airbulllard Contributing Member

i think how much money we have definitely affects how we deal with the hurricane....

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Nice move by the Rockets. The Astros also gave $1 million.

5. TurtleBonzi

TurtleBonzi Member

Pictures from Yahoo

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. DreamRoxCoogFan

I am like standing behind them in about 1/2 those pictures.

*****DISCLAIMER I appreciate the gesture and the supplies that they donated******

but the players (and press) were slowing up the process because every box donated had to be video-taped and photographed. All the volunteers there were pretty.... lets just say jaded. Mike Harris, surprisingly, was the worst. I would expect him to be more like Chuck was acting, a real gentleman. Mike was running around screwing up all the lines for a while and messing up the system of loading the cars and getting in peoples ways. Aaron came first and he was helping and not really slowing up, then mike came and messed it up...and he was being a little rude....

then luther, chuck, and rafer came (in that order) as well as calvin murphy, they were alright, but slowing up a little too....

and of course, the players and all the staff were GONE as soon as the last box from 'feed the children' was given away.

(i went up to chuck afterwards and asked him how he got his free throw shot, and he just laughed and said 'i dont know....')

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I thought Calvin was no longer affiliated with the Rockets. Does this mean he's back on their payroll?

8. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

[​IMG]

This picture sucks anyway...

9. sook

sook Rookie

my boys mike harris,luther, brooks, and rafer!!!! :cool:

10. keeyanballa08

keeyanballa08 Member

yeah i was actually a part of this
    i go to university of houston and heard that they were doing this so i went straight after class
    it was really cool and mike harris was joking with everyone..he always wanted to be the first person to load stuff inside ppls cars
    i took a pic with calvin murphy and luther head, im actually at the schools library right now but ill post a link to of the pics when i get back to my dorm
    all the rockets players were given hats and i was lucky enough to have mike harris give me his which he signed and so did rafer
    i asked rafer if he thought that landry will be back and he was said he would be back, its just takin time
    also asked murphy if there was any chance that he would broadcast the games anymore or do anything bc we miss him and he said thanks but no chance that was gonna happen again haha
    also berman (sp?) from fox was there and i asked if he knew about clutchfans and that he is a really good reporter and he said thanks and that he knew about clutchfans and i believe he said his camera guy was with clutchfans
    thats about all i remember as of now and if i remember anythin else ill post again along with the couple pics i took from my phone later

11. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

yay i finally got internets back today!

12. keeyanballa08

keeyanballa08 Member

here is my pic i took with my phone with murphy
    [​IMG]

and the one i got with luther, with the hat i got from mike harris which you can see on his head in the other pics
    [​IMG]

btw random i guess
    the rockets and i were walkin back (to their cars and me to my dorm)
    and i saw who was drivin what if you want to get a sense of their everyday cars haha
    luther head-tahoe (he said his benz he always has is in illinois)
    chuck hayes- cadillac xts
    mike harris- chrysler 300c

none of them had anything really done to any of them..mike harris was probably runnin on 20s but thats about it

13. stephen94

stephen94 Member

Its just too bad that big stars never come to this type of thing. The most famous out of all them was Rafer and Calvin.

It'd be nice if the whole team came out and did this.

Either way though, its a nice way to give back to the community.

14. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

As much flak as he gets, I knew that Rafer would be there when I saw this story. Strange to hear about Harris...but he was probably just cutting up trying to lighten everyone's mood, I doubt he meant to be a PR w**** or slow things up.

15. Ikorose

Ikorose Member

ROFL!!!

I know Head sucks but even I couldn't find it in my heart to diss the pic....

.....but then no way I could take a pic with him or approach him without making some sort of 7% crack at him.

Oh..... and Head sucks. Trade him :p

16. keeyanballa08

keeyanballa08 Member

im still a HUGE rockets fan at the end of the day
    and as much as i wouldnt mind seein him get traded, i still wouldnt pass up a chance to meet him and take a pic
    after all you might think he sucks but he is the one in the nba

btw mike harris was just messing around, crackin jokes, he seemed prob the most friendly out of them all

17. joesr

joesr Member

AT&T? I just got mine back today woohoo!

18. MONON

MONON Member

The ABC station in San Antonio just aired a clip of that on the 6 pm sports segment. I didn't catch which player they interviewed, because I'm a 2 finger typist. After sports, Leslie Mouton and other news anchor commented about how great it was that the Rockets bought 4 truckloads of relief supplies and delivered them. Disasters do bring us together. :cool:

19. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

20. bringonthe3s

bringonthe3s Member

Just saw the knicks vs pacers game on nba tv here in the Philippines where Reggie Miller got 6 pts in around 10 or so seconds. I saw the Knicks' big men free throw shooting that were very similar to Chuck's. They all bend their knees first, then go straight up quickly then pausing their hands in the air, then they flick the ball for the shot.

What a horrible FT shooting style, must be taught by Ewing when he was one of our assistant coaches with JVG.

Rockets should get a FT shooting coach like the top free throw shooting teams in the league. :)