1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Rockets better without Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AvgJoe, Nov 14, 2010.

Tags:
  1. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

In Lowry's defense, I will say this:

Sample Size. Chemistry, Offensive and defensive.

In Brooks defense, I will also say:

Sample Size. Chemistry, Offensive and Defensive

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

They gave up 30 pts in the 2nd and 32 in the 4th. Whomever you want to blame for that, go ahead. Look, I'm poking fun at the lowry crew because this great floor general he's not. I know brooks has holes, but at least anyone who supports brooks can see that. By the same token, if the rockets can upgrade the pg spot or sf spot using brooks, that would be good too, but lowry isn't that upgrade. Lowry starting equals pure failure without a team full of play finisher and scorers which this team doesn't have. Lowry has had 2 chances to become a starter and couldn't do it. What more is there to see?

3. BucMan55

Other observations now that the shoe is on the other foot:

Rockets starting PG was gassed

Rockets starting PG kept going under the pick and getting beat over the top

Poor 3 point shooter at the PG spot couldn't miss.

Offense was stagnant.

Too many 4th quarter turnovers.

Heard em before.

4. BucMan55

Yep, if a current Rocket is involved with a trade that brings in something missing then get er done Morey, as they say.

The team is bigger than one man.

5. choujie

choujie Member

Lowry certainly isn't the best PG you can have. But on the current team, he fits starting lineup better than AB.

I don't care who is the better player, it's all about the right mix. It seems to me Lowry can work with scoeres and shooters around him, and his defense makes the team more balanced than AB.

Last year is the opposite.

6. leebigez

What has changed from last year to this year?

7. choujie

choujie Member

Last year, we had Chuck Hayes, Ariza in the starting lineup, we need more offense.

This year we have Yao/Miller/Martin in the lineup, we need more defense.

8. BucMan55

You don't have Yao or Miller in the lineup at the same time, and Martin was in the lineup last year after the deadline. Which i might add is when some of the Lowry starting picked up steam when we had someone else besides Brooks who could hit a shot from the outside.

9. choujie

choujie Member

What I meant is either Yao or Miller, who has ablity to score. That plus Martin and Scola, offense will be there. But defense and distributing will be needed.

I don't mind seeing Lowry and AB starting together, but I still think AB's ball handling is needed more for 2nd unit than Martin.

10. PeppermintCandy

Plus, the second unit needs another scorer like Brooks to complement Budinger. Right now, teams can crowd Chase because he's pretty much the only offensive threat in the second unit. Last year, we had Landry or Ariza. This year, it's Lee, Hayes and Jordan Hill.

11. leebigez

No one is crowding chase, they don't look at him like that. I want to se the posters opinion when yao comes back and guys are measuring his johnson because of lowry.

12. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

The problem is both are extremely one dimensional. One is mediocre offensively but can't pass the ball and oh sucks at D. The other is mediocre defensively but can pass, set up the offense, but needs to work on his shooting. I think it is time to trade to get a starting pg that can do it all. He doesn't need to be an allstar at pg but at least he is reliable in what a pg needs to do. Brooks is definitely not our answer for starting pg and yes neither is lowry. We need to keep one of them on the bench and the other is trade bait. We don't need both of them. Until Brooks can learn defense, I will take Lowry any day.

13. nodstonothing

nodstonothing Member

Brooks, Lowry, doesn't really matter who is better, neither of them make this team all that much better. This season, we were bad with Brooks, and we're bad without Brooks, because the team just isn't that good. The losses we've gotten are because other teams have star players that can take it to another level that nobody on our roster can reach.

Loss 1 - Kobe
    Loss 2 - Ellis
    Loss 3 - Carmelo
    Loss 4 - Chris Paul
    Loss 5 - Only loss to a team without a legit superstar
    Loss 6 - Wall
    Loss 7 - Rose

Whether it be from the draft or a trade, this team needs a new direction centered around a legit star player or a player that can become a star player. And we need to stop giving the old guard of Battier, Hayes, etc. minutes and instead see what we have with Jordan Hill and whoever else the organization thinks has potential to develop into a good player.