1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets better without Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AvgJoe, Nov 14, 2010.

Tags:
  1. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

You stated that AB would have lit Wall up after the Washington game. Wall would have easily shut him down. He's stronger, faster, and longer.

It comes down to his lack of defense. He is a liability. I stated all off-season that we simply can't win with an AB/Martin back court. Martin is the better player so I say trade AB once he's healthy.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I guess it is a byproduct of the back and forth.

I like both Yao and Kyle a lot.

Are you saying pointing out their faults is trashing them?

Sure you can win with them, heck they almost beat the Lakers with Yao playing 24 minutes in the opener......

Back court defense is not as important as frontcourt defense.....

With the no touching on the perimeter rules, and carrying being allowed, it is impossible to stay in front of a quick player on the perimeter...give me size at the rim over good D in the backcourt any day of the week.

Oh, and people here should know that already...we won a championship with Kenny Smith as our starting PG...

DD

3. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

well you may have good reasons to hate them.

But what exactly made you guys hate AB so much? I always wonder, like DD.

His salary was only $1M.
    He was only a 26 pick.
    He has been a starter for only 1.5 seasons.
    He was one important part for the team that passed the 1st round in decade.
    He did not complain about the playing time, the role.
    He has the biggest heart and gut on the team.
    He is not a ballhog. He is not selfish.
    He tried to play defense even with his miniature body.
    He won MIP, one of the best 3 point shooter in the game.
    AB is starting because of his coach, not his decision.
    AB can be benched for defense. Again, it is coach not AB.
    Fans overrating AB?.......How is this AB's fault?

What did AB do wrong to get into so many "fans"' nerve?

I mean are the haters even the fans of Houston Rockets or basketball in general?

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Lowry is the backup so he should get more minutes! And whoever is Lowry's backup once Brooks is gone should get more minutes than Lowry! On and on and so on until the end of time! We hate the starting PG! Trade him! What are you waiting for? Trade him! Trade him already!!!

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

What about Lee/Martin?

6. choujie

choujie Member

Lee seems to make a lot bad decisions too. I'd rather see Lowry/Martin or Ish/Martin.

Martin is doing well, improved on both ends of the floor compare to last season. AB not so much.

7. DaDakota

See this is annoying as hades, AB was averaging 7 assists per game before being hurt at half time, his assist to turnover ratio is much better this season, his percentages in shooting are nearly identical to last season, and he was having to cope with a guy coming back from injury and only playing 24 minutes a game.

I really wish folks would take off their bias and enjoy the improvement that is going on with the team...

DD

8. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

Almost every thread about PG, Lowry, AB, Yao,.....has been turned into AB hating thread.

The famous ones:

"must take the ball out off Brooks hands"
    "Is AB good or bad? Does he contribute to winning?"

These threads came during the playoff run, on Rockets BBS..... amazing fans.

9. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

The blind tends to over-analyze AB's defeciencies and refuse to believe he does any ounce of good for the team. DD, if you remembered how I felt earlier about Ish perhaps taking over AB's role, boy was I wrong. I didn't even bother to look in this thread because of the funny title but today it got me curious as to why there is more than 10+ pages of people believing in this garbage.

Season opener in LA- Loss by 2. Would've been blown out w/out AB0. No competition.

1st win- Twolves.. *sigh* Built a huge lead. No need for a closer.

2nd win- Huge game from Miller or we lose. Can he do this everynight? My money say's no. I will place the bet on AB everytime. Got lucky on this one.

3rd win- Phenomenal defense by Hayes on STAT or we lose. Built a lead that almost melted down instantly because NO ONE could close during the last 4 minutes in the 4th. NYK also missed alot of open shots. Got lucky again.

Even though these games were victories, I can clearly see why we miss our unsung hero. Many are blinded simply because of the fact Rockets have won these last 3 of 4 games.

Victories thus far have been against sub par teams. Play against LA, BOS, ORL, DEN, MIA, DAL and Rockets will get EXPOSED without AB. Reason for AB's recent slump at end of games before injury: Adelman was playing him too much because of Lowry's injury, he was winded towards the end of games. AB is not CP3, DWill, Billups, or the likes but he is our best closer and a pretty damn good one. For the one's that want him traded to upgrade the team, I'm all for it. But for now, he is our best and we need him back.

10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I realize your speaking from a statistical point of view, but improvement is defined by their record for most folks. And its going to take more than wins over the Pacers and Knicks to convince some/many of us.

11. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

How much improvement did his APG improve last year after the trade deadline?? He brought up his yearly average like .3 or .4 over that stretch. He has increased it even more this year. Against quality competition. Yet his detractors still point at him like he is the same guy who ended the season after the Rafer trade. He is markedly improved from that point but they don't seem to want to see it.

Attack his defense all you want, but 90% of these Brooks bashing threads this season are about offense, which was not the problem even with the poor start.

12. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

I like AB. I just think he should come off the bench due (primarily) to his defensive liabilities.

Lowry hasn't looked very good yet this season. I'm not sure he's the answer at starting PG. Ish has impressed me, but it's still a bit early to give him the nod.

I feel that AB is likely on his way out though if we trade for someone.

13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Can't tell if serious.

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Dreaming...............A PG that could shoot like AB, dish like Ish, and defend like Lowry.........Wow.....This guy is awesome...........................ALARM..................OH well.

15. wekko368

wekko368 Member

6 assists per game....and his average was dropping with each game played.

Quoted for irony.

16. BucMan55

OMG at that pace after two games he would not get another assist for the rest of the season!! His assists were dwindling into oblivion!! :rolleyes:

17. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Maybe not oblivion, but it clearly shows that his 9 assist game against LA was an anomaly which skews the average due to the small sample size.

In other words, relying on his APG as the focal point of an argument means it's not a strong argument.

18. BucMan55

If he didn't have several double digit assist games last year I would tend to agree with that.

19. choujie

choujie Member

That happened to Alston too. If Lowry is starting, that might happen again depending on how the team is doing. Fans are fans, if the team is winning big, everybody is happy even if somebody played like crap. If the team is not doing well, somebody will take the blame, even if he did OK. So don't be surprised.

20. DaDakota

When you are making excuses for when a Rocket's player does something good, you are no longer thinking of what is good for the team.

DD